• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gray-chested Dove ? central Panama (1 Viewer)

George Edwards

Nom de plume
Saw this one on my own on a forest walk, near where a guide had pointed out a Gray-chested Dove (or Grey-chested Dove) the day before. Doesn't quite have the same orbital ring shape as the pic in Ridgely but otherwise looks OK to me. Thanks for any clarification!

You can't quite see it in the uploaded pic but the iris colour in the photo is a washed out dirty yellowish colour with a black outer ring and the orbital skin is pinkish.

Attachments

• _Gray chested Dove ?_01.jpg
    _Gray chested Dove ?_01.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
My best guess would be Grey-chested Dove. Usually you only get a rear end view off Leptotila doves as they walk away along a path, but fortunately one of the best ID features is the colour of the crown and nape that you can see from behind. This bird clearly has a brownish colouration suggesting Grey-chested (Grey-headed would have a grey crown and nape and White-tipped would have a greyish to pinkish colouration).
Some of the birds I have seen (mainly further north in Honduras) have been a lot browner than this bird (including one that I found dead - photo attached), so I cannot say I am certain of my ID. The Costa Rica guide by Garrigues and Dean shows different subspecies on the Pacific and Caribbean slopes of Costa Rica, so presumably also of Panama. On which slope was your bird seen?

Tom

Attachments

• Grey-chest Dove Marias Aug 05 TJ.jpg
    Grey-chest Dove Marias Aug 05 TJ.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Thanks for the confrmations.

Tom, funny you should say that about walking away - the previous day's dove - id'ed by the guide as grey-chested was doing just that (attached).

These were seen near the Canopy Tower, so I suppose Pacific slope - but pretty much in the middle area.

P.S. Ridgely also shows a much more rufous race in the west rufinucha, so that wouldn't be applicable for here. Also says Grey-headed also occurs mostly in the west.

Attachments

• _grey chested dove_01.jpg
    _grey chested dove_01.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Yeah, I would agree that this is a Gray-chested Dove too. Although we can't see the color of the orbital ring clearly, it does appear to have more brown on the crown and gray on the chest than White-tipped.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back