• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (18 Viewers)

The Gt White Egret is probably not a string. One was in the R Wensum valley most of last week.

Hmmmmm! That's like saying "The reported Ring Ousel probably wasn't a Blackbird: there was a Ring Ousel at Hickling last week" The Wensum Valley is NOT the Yare Valley and GWEs don't have black legs and yellow feet!

Cley Great Snipe

The story as I understand it

I was standing next to Andy Stoddart, Richard Millington and Steve Gantlett on the Cley West Bank watching the elusive stone-curlews.

A long standing elderly Cley birder called Arnold left a message with Steve G about what he thought was a great snipe from Avocet Hide (next to Dawkes).

Andy went to look down the dyke for it from the hide. Some time before 6pm, I think.

No news came out until after 8pm. Whether the bird was on show earlier I do not know.

I went home and did not check the hide myself.

I saw a great snipe west of Sheringham in 1994 as below
BBRC 1994 Report extract
Great Snipe Gallinago media (180, 73, 4)
Norfolk Sheringham, 17th September (D.P.Appleton, K.B.Shepherd et al.).

Last edited:
GREAT SNIPE on my list!!!!!!!!

Just home from Cley at 10.55pm!

I was sitting in the chair asleep, absolutely shattered from work.

Phone call from another birder just after 8pm "GREAT SNIPE, Avocet Hide, Cley NOW!!!" It was ID'd a minute or two before I was called. It was put on the pager straight away, but for some reason didn't come out straight away.

I grabbed bins and camera bag, still in work clothes and flew to Cley. Can't remember what time I got there exactly, it was around 8.40 I think. Ran along the board walk to the hides, but obviously crept along the last bit so as not to make any noise, take note on this if anyone goes tomorrow!

I phoned several people on route. Hide was full! So frustrating when I got in the hide as it wasn't showing! The light was fading fast, but Eddie Myers saved the day!!! Thank you Eddie XXX It had moved from the post (far left hand side of hide there is a concrete post) to the right in the ditch. At first of all I only saw a bit of the bird in the bad light, but then it was bathing in the water and I could see the very long bill!!!! Think it was about 9.10pm-9.15pm and then it flew across the marsh left. Phew!

Video ON BLOG NOW from Pete Snook.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
hi penny
just read your account of the scope am lost for words

if I get left in a hide do you think someone would adopt me
used to think birding people where a little strange
been doing it for just over a year
my conclusion is
they are just misunderstood
they dont know what they are missing
just watching the antics of the starlings and blackbirds make me laugh
especially when they get to the birdtable and its empty I am sure they look at the house as if to say
well when are you going to feed us
and I didnt know blackbirds liked raisins so much

Great snipe, after eight - taking the ....

Great Snipe on my list!!!!!!!!

Yes but some on this Norfolk Forum need it!

I stayed onsite longer than I planned: just in case the great snipe was one and amazingly it was. (I had expected the skeptical Cley birders to get a call to go and see it and I would have tagged along!!)

The truth here is stranger than fiction.
A nameless well known Norfolk birder, watching the stoneys, walked down the Blakeney side of the west bank and had a pee by the reeds. This amused me and a couple on site!

Just as well I did not need to go myself. Sitting in Holt car park (off Cley Road) at 7pm, chips in hand, two people turned up to lock the town loos up!

I stop digressing
I left for home soon after and assumed, given the passage of time, over an hour since Ticker heard about the possible great snipe, that there wasn't one.

Where was the great snipe or indeed why did no one until David Roche did, correctly Id that flycatcher!

why did no one until David Roche did, correctly Id that flycatcher!

Just to correct one of the mistruths surrounding this bird and day - the Pied Flycatcher that the majority of people had seen briefly earlier in the day around the caravan (obviously I can't talk for everyone) was a female Pied Flycatcher (although I myself didn't see it)

Great Snipe on my list!!!!!!!!

So few words for a displaying Great Snipe Penny? I'm disappointed!! ;) I'm sure this will be rectified later on your blog :t: If this sticks I may have to brave the crowds myself...

This bird's occurence is also a great tribute to the work Bernie and co have done this Spring; the area running from Whitwell scrape to the Beach Road (Cricket Marsh?) was in absolutely superb condition when I visited a couple of weeks back, the Blackwits and Ruffs busy in there testament to that...

James

So few words for a displaying Great Snipe Penny? I'm disappointed!! ;) I'm sure this will be rectified later on your blog :t: If this sticks I may have to brave the crowds myself...

This bird's occurence is also a great tribute to the work Bernie and co have done this Spring; the area running from Whitwell scrape to the Beach Road (Cricket Marsh?) was in absolutely superb condition when I visited a couple of weeks back, the Blackwits and Ruffs busy in there testament to that...

James
Thats because I wrote those few words on my iphone BEFORE I left Cley. My post above now has a few more words!!!!!;)

Thats because I wrote those few words on my iphone BEFORE I left Cley. My post above now has a few more words!!!!!;)

Glad you saw it, Penny. Sorry I couldn't get you on it! It was very frustrating being able to see it, but not getting any help from others, including those who could also see it! Not easy giving directions there tonight! Lots of ungrateful people who didn't seem to have much of an holistic view! All this somewhat dampened what was a great experience!

More detail on my blog:
http://ruralchill.blogspot.com/

I arrived at Holme at mid-day to see the elusive Wood Warbler, having stayed an hour or more with no luck Bumped into David Roche he mentioned Turtle Doves so went off looking for them around the toilet block. About twenty minutes later the pager announced that the WW was back, I returned in time to miss it.

A few people (not locals), were looking at a flycatcher in a Sycamore and was calling it a Pied. It was difficult to pick up on but a head on profile i distinctly saw a large white blob on it's forehead and white around the neck and queried the i.d. Could that be a Collared?

I was rebuked that they had seen plenty in Hungary and this was not one!
The bird disappeared and then I had to move my car to the c/p by request as I had parked it in the lane.

When i got back I was informed that the WW had shown really well briefly but had vanished again.

I admit i was in a bit of a mood and all thoughts of that flycatcher had washed from my mind, I wanted that WW.

Dave Holman arrived at this point and asked the latest I told him about the elusive WW and a Pied Fly but not that I had doubts on i.d. I should have stayed searched for the bird but in poor judgement I left the site.

I do not think there ever was a Pied Fly in there but the Collared all the time. Oh what a shame

Simon

Hi Connor. This suggests the Collared was in the tree early afternoon!!! I may have my facts wrong as I was not there! Cracking bird and pleased that everybody got to see it. Saw the Portland bird, but would have made the trip (as would have others) if the news had got out a little earlier

Regards.

Glad you saw it, Penny. Sorry I couldn't get you on it! It was very frustrating being able to see it, but not getting any help from others, including those who could also see it! Not easy giving directions there tonight! Lots of ungrateful people who didn't seem to have much of an holistic view! All this somewhat dampened what was a great experience!

More detail on my blog:
http://ruralchill.blogspot.com/

Thank you for trying anyway! I realised when I moved to in front of Richard that I had been 'posted' where I was standing and if I had stayed in that spot I wouldn't have seen it at all!!!

Pete's Video now on my blog

Penny:girl:

ah by the way I was at a fancy dress party in Hunstanton and we are talking 3 or 4 years ago and the people hosting (who I know very well) said they had a huge Owl in their garden and they looked it up in the bird book etc etc and no no no its not a Long-eared or Tawny it was far far bigger than that,

just seen the Great Snipe footage - sh*t thee bed, you might just see me tomorrow

Great Snipe

"Andy went to look down the dyke for it from the hide. Some time before 6pm, I think.

No news came out until after 8pm. Whether the bird was on show earlier I do not know."

Paul Woolnough

Paul,

Can I suggest that next time you check your facts before broadcasting my alleged movements over the internet, particularly if you use your post to spread veiled accusations of keeping the bird quiet.

I'm afraid your 'understanding' of events is laughably incorrect. In fact, the first I heard about this bird was when I was sitting at home at 8.15 pm drinking a cup of tea.

This is yet another example of the 'suppression paranoia' which seems to plague birding in general and Birdforum in particular. Normally I just ignore it but I do take exception to being named in connection with events I knew nothing about!

Andy

"

Can I suggest that next time you check your facts before broadcasting my alleged movements over the internet, particularly if you use your post to spread veiled accusations of keeping the bird quiet.

This is yet another example of the 'suppression paranoia' which seems to plague birding in general and Birdforum in particular. Normally I just ignore it but I do take exception to being named in connection with events I knew nothing about!

Andy

If i knew how to do one of those 'clappy hands' icons i'd be using it... Well said

Yes but some on this Norfolk Forum need it!

I stayed onsite longer than I planned: just in case the great snipe was one and amazingly it was. (I had expected the skeptical Cley birders to get a call to go and see it and I would have tagged along!!)

The truth here is stranger than fiction.
A nameless well known Norfolk birder, watching the stoneys, walked down the Blakeney side of the west bank and had a pee by the reeds. This amused me and a couple on site!

Just as well I did not need to go myself. Sitting in Holt car park (off Cley Road) at 7pm, chips in hand, two people turned up to lock the town loos up!

I stop digressing
I left for home soon after and assumed, given the passage of time, over an hour since Ticker heard about the possible great snipe, that there wasn't one.

Where was the great snipe or indeed why did no one until David Roche did, correctly Id that flycatcher!

Your course of events re the Snipe are close, but not spot. Could tell you the full details, but if I told you, I have to kill you!!!!!

Can tell you that some intial attempts were made to prevent last years Holme Bluetail from getting out. News was released via a non Norfolk birder (out of the county at the time), getting a tip off from somebody in "the know". This individual did the only noble/correct course of action and phone the information services - well done that man.

Penny, submit your Flycatcher photos, with Rays permission of course.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back