• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (20 Viewers)

Bittern ? Good on yer, Sacha- you got there as I was drafting this.

As for bleedin’ parrot-substitutes, can we now Ring-fence this discussion, pleez ? !

Good luck to those currently at Warren Woods, as the rain seems to be getting even heavier; although it was seen yesterday in similarly grotty conditions, it appears. From my window, it looks as if an early dusk is approaching. From RBA: "co-inhabited" is my type of word. Well done, Stuart !

Penny's hopes for 'hot birding' have been dashed: temperature currently 13°C and predicted to rise to a sultry 16 !

Last edited:
Hi could anyone help with dircetions for the Greenish and WB Warblers please,i havn't got a clue when it comes to grid referances unfortunately so postcodes and place names would be great,also a Burrowing Owl reported? is that right?Many thanks.

Hi could anyone help with dircetions for the Greenish and WB Warblers please,i havn't got a clue when it comes to grid referances unfortunately so postcodes and place names would be great,also a Burrowing Owl reported? is that right?Many thanks.

The warblers are here: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=608&ax=622713&ay=341777&lm=0

Park on The Warren (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=The...312673&sspn=0.004734,0.02105&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=17) and then walk down the Cliff Lane. The birds are in this wood. I know as I was staying next to the lighthouse not a week ago. :-C

And yes there is a Burrowing Owl! An escaped bird at East Runton in field next to Wyndham Park Caravan Site (per RBA)

Sam

Glad the bonelli's was still there today, thought people might doubt me a second time in the space of a year !! I hear people were taking photos of it when it was seen late morning, has anyone seen them on the web anywhere ?

Cley was superb today, there were 25 curlew sandpipers on pat's pool alone, a fabulous sight, not to mention the Phalarope and lots of other waders.

Doubt YOU, Stuart ? Why should we do that: your birding credentials are well established ? (Don’t worry, you can have very effective medication prescribed for it.)

It is not unknown for a Norfolk birder to find the same rare warbler species in succeeding years, I believe.

Congrats on yet another rarie nailed down. Now for the big one ! You’re ‘ahead’ of me, so far this year.

Two rarities at one site

The warblers are here: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=608&ax=622713&ay=341777&lm=0

Park on The Warren (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=The...312673&sspn=0.004734,0.02105&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=17) and then walk down the Cliff Lane. The birds are in this wood. I know as I was staying next to the lighthouse not a week ago. :-C

And yes there is a Burrowing Owl! An escaped bird at East Runton in field next to Wyndham Park Caravan Site (per RBA)

Sam

I was fortunate enought to connect with both rare warblers today and did not have to wait around as long as most.

Bonelli's warbler
The crowd assembled between the clifftop east of Cromer and the wood early afternoon after a phone tip off to John F (thanks!).
The bird appeared and eventually revealed its identity in trees near to a scots pine.

Greenish warbler
After walk down the clifftop path into Cromer and back again, and having sheltered from a downpour, I went to where the greenish had been seen, or to be precise, heard.
A wide path from the west / town end of the wood runs close to and parallel to the grassy cliff edge path. This path meets a second path from the cliff top. Head right and down into a dip. On the right a large tree by a steep slope up the bank, with a large exposed tree root.
As I approached this path junction I and a few other birders present heard the greenish warbler repeatedly call. The heavy shower had passed and the sun came out. The greenish warbler was identified in the canopy and showed until I called RBA - repeatedly flicking its tail and wings, to clear moisture from his body. The bird showed again but was perhaps hidden in a beech tree when unseen. (Bird a male which can be vocal)

Last edited:
Burrowing Owl was the highlight of the day for me!!!!!;)

Dipped on both warblers at Cromer!:-C

Awesome views of the juv. Red backed Shrike both this morning and this evening at Walsey Hills and some frame filling pictures.;)

Nice views early this morning of the Red necked Phalarope from Bishops Hide.;)

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Burrowing Owl was the highlight of the day for me!!!!!;)

Dipped on both warblers at Cromer!:-C

Awesome views of the juv. Red backed Shrike both this morning and this evening at Walsey Hills and some frame filling pictures.;)

Nice views early this morning of the Red necked Phalarope from Bishops Hide.;)

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Saw you at the Warblers today Penny! Nightmare with the weather and how elusive they were! Had better luck yesterday, Greenish played fair but the Bonelli's was a nightmare!
Probably should have gone to see the RBS but saw the Cley one the other day! Sounded cracking views though!
The Phal is a Juv yes?
Oli

Cromer Western Bonelli’s Warbler

Just in case people were not clear, Stuart White found this bird (see: http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2227184&postcount=12804). It is his belief that he (and his client) saw it come in off the sea.

He also found the one in Wells Woods last year (again when with clients), which was the point of his first sentence.

If anyone has any photos that are better than execrable, please get in touch with him via this thread.

I was also told that it had been heard singing. Perhaps, there was confusion about the Greenish, which was; but, if so, this, too, will assist with his BBRC submission.

Last edited:
Got a link to the website John? Wouldn't mind a look and having no luck having gone through Surfbirds!

Its on the stop press first page, you may need to refresh the page if you have been on the page for a little while.
The bird eluded me yesterday unfortunately, got the Greenish at least 3 times though which was a good consolation prize.

Its on the stop press first page, you may need to refresh the page if you have been on the page for a little while.
The bird eluded me yesterday unfortunately, got the Greenish at least 3 times though which was a good consolation prize.

Got it! Cheers Ben! :t:

In anticipation of anyone playing the hoax card regarding the Happisburgh Greenish Warbler (August 23rd) I have ventured to the site - à la Yorkshire Rock Bunting - and have attached a photo of the branch upon which it was perched. I must stress that the bird hasn't been 'photo-shopped' from the image, it just wasn't there... |8||

James

Attachments

• It's gone!.jpg
    It's gone!.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 164
Curlew Sandpipers

Anybody know the norfolk or UK record for numbers at one site, just saw on the pager 37+ at Cley, that seems quite high !

A quick look at The Birds of Norfolk mentions 400 at Wisbech Sewage Farm on August 29th - 30th 1969 and in 1985 the county total was estimated to be in excess of 1,300 with 500 at Terrington on 14th - 20th September and 200 at Wisbech SF on 18th - 20th September.

Personally, I seem to recall noting 147+ at Cley one autumn evening but the exact date escapes me without checking it up...

James

Con ?

I'm confused: doesn't your photo conpound the conspiratorially theoretical aspects of this conundrum ? Is there some concatenation of events, here ?

The branch appears to be floating or hovering, not connected to its tree. I am, nonetheless, conpletely confident in the original ID, photo and record.

Are we being conned, in some way ? Did YOU really go to Happisburgh, James ? ! ! Is the branch still there, conjoined to the trunk of that conifer ? Or has it been closed ? La lutte continue: we will conquer this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back