• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (9 Viewers)

I'm confused: doesn't your photo conpound the conspiratorially theoretical aspects of this conundrum ? Is there some concatenation of events, here ?

The branch appears to be floating or hovering, not connected to its tree. I am, nonetheless, conpletely confident in the original ID, photo and record.

Are we being conned, in some way ? Did YOU really go to Happisburgh, James ? ! ! Is the branch still there, conjoined to the trunk of that conifer ? Or has it been closed ? La lutte continue: we will conquer this.

No comment Mr F, lest the 'Norfolk birding' thread is locked by the mods!

Anyway, the timing of your post... 7:32am... Shouldn't you have been 'scoping t'sea from your window? :eek!:

James

A quick look at The Birds of Norfolk mentions 400 at Wisbech Sewage Farm on August 29th - 30th 1969 and in 1985 the county total was estimated to be in excess of 1,300 with 500 at Terrington on 14th - 20th September and 200 at Wisbech SF on 18th - 20th September.

Personally, I seem to recall noting 147+ at Cley one autumn evening but the exact date escapes me without checking it up...

James

Fair enough, just a good count in recent years then. I only looked back at the last 3-4 Norfolk bird reports. Good record off cley this morning, I wonder if anyone was watching at sheringham ?

I was one of half a dozen or so observers in the shelter at Sheringham this morning & nothing resembling a Yelkouan Shearwater flew past us, only a few Manxies, some of these were very close though so maybe the bird at Cley was as well.

Titchwell August 29th

Today’s highlights

Curlew sandpiper – 13 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 6 on fresh marsh
Dunlin – 300 on fresh marsh
Ruff – 30 on fresh marsh
Black tern – 2 offshore
Long tailed duck – female offshore

Paul

Rather than dare to dip the Bonelli's at Cromer once again, I headed for more familiar territory and sought some Waders at Cantley Beet Factory. One of my tripod's legs got stuck, so you can imagine the difficulty of searching for Sandpipers using my body as the third leg! Do Velbon make artificial limbs?
1 Juvenile Little Stint was our best bird, and the exposed mud flats held 6 Dunlin, 10+ Greenshank, 3 each of Common and Green Sandpiper, 30+ Ruff and 300+ Lapwing. Both Curlew Sand and Wood Sand have been present recently, but I could pick out neither today, patience running short with a two-legged scope. Also, my first Wheatear of the Autumn, and plenty of both Yellow and Pied Wagtails.
Cheers,
Jim.

Stunning Wryneck at Wells today! Despite the crowd of 20 or so birders, and hundreds of tourists/general public on the local play ground area, it was remarkably tame once out in the open! Just took a while to get there.
Record shot attached.

Attachments

• P1020138.jpg
    P1020138.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 217
Three Ws

I know someone who’s going to go up the wall, not up the steps, when she sees one of the photos below. It was somewhat of a surprise to me, I must say; although it’ll probably have a beneficial effect, in that most idling ramblers will now be persuaded- with any luck- not to venture through heaven’s gate at Walsey Hills NOA.

In the absence of anything better to do, and with limited mobility, after my back’s having given out this morning, I went to Wells, Wrynecking. It took half an hour, before I had anything like good views, and they were then prolonged. The light under the hedge was a little low, not enabling the best quality shots, even though the bird was quite close.

At one stage, it fanned its tail, stretching low and forwards as far as its body allowed; BWP describes this as in terms of threat response. I cannot recall having seen one do this. It was a shame that I was unable to snap this posture, but am incapable of immediate ascension to five metres above the ground/bird. That would have frightened it even more.

When the observers (us) were quiet and still, it fed unconcernedly. However, multiple clangings of tripods, as people rushed through a small gap, campanologising against a concrete fence-post, had the predictable effect of spooking it for a time.

Strange birds, these Cuckoo’s Marrows- or not ?

Attachments

• 131pse.jpg
    131pse.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 243
  • 109pse.jpg
    109pse.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 228
  • 118pse_edited-1.jpg
    118pse_edited-1.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 191
When the observers (us) were quiet and still, it fed unconcernedly. However, multiple clangings of tripods, as people rushed through a small gap, campanologising against a concrete fence-post, had the predictable effect of spooking it for a time.

Did seem a twitchy so and so at times! Hardly surprising though, if I had 20 people watching me have dinner I would be a bit put out!
Said small gap was rather close to it, I chose to go back over the mound in the field with long grass and come out near where someone had left their bicycle! Think only one other chose this route!
Stunning bird though!

patience running short with a two-legged scope.
Jim.

Been there with my velbon! leg fell out when I tried to set the scope up on a distant raptor once in Spain, went back in ok, of course the bird had gone.

Cley yesterday gave the phalarope, arctic tern, the usual waders being seen, manx shearwaters mid afternoon at sea with a large number of terns and 1 skua sp. too far out to sea/see

Stunning Wryneck at Wells today! Despite the crowd of 20 or so birders, and hundreds of tourists/general public on the local play ground area, it was remarkably tame once out in the open! Just took a while to get there.
Record shot attached.

Very nice picture :) I came out of a hide once near Barcelona and a wryneck flew up off the path and sat watching me on a branch for 15 minutes about 4feet away! amazing patterning on them

Very little on any of the threads re the Yelk Shearwater; anyone have any more information?

I was seawatching in the shelter at Cley coastguards from 0700hrs on Mon 29th Aug, together with a few mates and a couple of Norfolk's finest RM & MG. A few (c.20), Manx streamed through west at half range to horizon.
At 0744 a much closer shearwater came west distance 150- 200yds,(I find it difficult to judge distance on the sea). Lets just say it was damn close. The bird had a few flaps and a shear or two.
The upper parts of the bird were instantly apparent that this bird was a dark brown.
I had Balearic in mind but as the bird flew passed this bird was not pot bellied like balearic. It rolled to expose its underside. It displayed a dull, white body all the way up to the rear. However the tail and tip of under tail coverts were dark and i thought were cut off quite cleanly at the tip of the undertail coverts not smudgy. This was clearly not a Balearic.
The other notable point was the tapered rear end of the bird as the feet trailed behind the tail.
The under wings also white but had the faint diagonal smudge markings from the wing base.
The bird passed long enough for RM and MG to run through i.d features of the bird like a running commentary. it was most enlightening.
I have passed on my details to RM to be included in the report which i am sure will be far more eloquent and detailed than this rough summary.

Remember Bbrc members read this thread. Sounds very interesting indeed. Always interesting to note what is considered close. The recent buff breast at titchwell was being watched to ten feet. My camera lens said eight metres. Having said that I have seen a balearic very close at cley when only bins were required. Good luck with the record.

I was seawatching in the shelter at Cley coastguards from 0700hrs on Mon 29th Aug, together with a few mates and a couple of Norfolk's finest RM & MG. A few (c.20), Manx streamed through west at half range to horizon.
At 0744 a much closer shearwater came west distance 150- 200yds,(I find it difficult to judge distance on the sea). Lets just say it was damn close. The bird had a few flaps and a shear or two.
The upper parts of the bird were instantly apparent that this bird was a dark brown.
I had Balearic in mind but as the bird flew passed this bird was not pot bellied like balearic. It rolled to expose its underside. It displayed a dull, white body all the way up to the rear. However the tail and tip of under tail coverts were dark and i thought were cut off quite cleanly at the tip of the undertail coverts not smudgy. This was clearly not a Balearic.
The other notable point was the tapered rear end of the bird as the feet trailed behind the tail.
The under wings also white but had the faint diagonal smudge markings from the wing base.
The bird passed long enough for RM and MG to run through i.d features of the bird like a running commentary. it was most enlightening.
I have passed on my details to RM to be included in the report which i am sure will be far more eloquent and detailed than this rough summary.

Many thanks Shytorque for taking the time to write up yesterday's events.

Phil

Titchwell August 30th

Today’s highlights

Curlew sandpiper – 21 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 4 on fresh marsh
Hobby – 2 hunting waders over fresh marsh
Bittern – 2 over reedbed
Spoonbill – 3 west, 2 on fresh marsh
Long tailed duck - female offshore
Greater flamingo – escaped bird on fresh marsh

Paul

Been there with my velbon! leg fell out when I tried to set the scope up on a distant raptor once in Spain, went back in ok, of course the bird had gone.

Cley yesterday gave the phalarope, arctic tern, the usual waders being seen, manx shearwaters mid afternoon at sea with a large number of terns and 1 skua sp. too far out to sea/see

Managed to get the tripod fixed, so went back to Cantley for some more! Similar species to yesterday, but the added bonus of a Little Stint and 3 Curlew Sandpiper. Full count on my blog.
Cheers,
Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back