• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

Hi John!
(I think!)
I was just joining in the general fun! I have no special knowledge of gorillas either - I just remembered 'Dave'! Attenborough saying that the giant nettles in Rwanda were the preferred food of the gorillas he filmed for 'Life on Earth'
I also typed 'What do Gorillas Eat' into Google and that was the result.
Interestingly (or not!) my niece once worked as a Panda keeper in China and told me that the winter diet of our favourite cuddlies contains a lot of deer meat!

Another one for the redpoll enthusiasts among us

http://www.birdingworld.co.uk/Cley 2012.1.htm

good comparison between a very pale mealy and the coues's, see how much more bull necked the arctic looks and the plain buff face with less of a dark ear covert surround compared to the mealy. The mealy has amazingly unstreaked flanks though, don't know if the rump is streaked or not, not having seen the birds myself. The mealy looks long billed with reduced feathering around the upper mandible base. The angle of the arctic isn't the same but the face looks more punched in. Also the greater covert bar is pure white on the arctic but slightly brown at the outer part on the mealy.

Stuart
I think that Mealy pic looks far too pale. In the field the good Arctic is paler.
Below two pics which I think depicts the colours better.
Quality is poor as they were taken through Al`s livingroom window.

Re the King Eider, from what I heard the first two birders there were pointed out 2 Commn Eider, by the finder.

John

Attachments

• BU2H3539.jpg
    BU2H3539.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 245
  • BU2H3756.jpg
    BU2H3756.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 282
Titchwell January 18th

Today’s highlights

Coues’s arctic redpoll – 1 still present
Long tailed duck – 5 offshore
Pintail – 95 on fresh marsh
Snow bunting – 30 on beach
Bittern – 1 in flight over reedbed
Teal - 602 on lagoons

Paul

Hi all

I have a friend who's been planning a trip down for the Western Sand for ages, and has finally got an opportunity for tomorrow. So of course, sod's law comes into play and it hasn't been reported on BirdGuides today. Anyone got any local knowledge, positive or negative, that can aid him in his dilemma?

Cheers

Andy

Dave (I think): as I admitted, I have never seen wild gorillas.

ok being the hippy that I am this is what my Animal Spirit Guide says about Gorillas

''Clear and concise communication is very important at this time, so listen carefully and speak sparingly and articulately.
More than ever, its important to respect yourself and extend that respect to everyone you come in contact with.
An important teacher is about to come into your life - who is wise and knowledgeable, yet unpretentious (clearly not John then;)
You will be experiencing a heightened sense of clairaudience (no me neither :-O) so listen closely for messages and signs that come through hearing.
Take some action about your environmental concerns, whether recycling or otherwise actively participating in cleaning up the environment''(cool huh).

If anyone thinks a Gorilla is their power animal PM me, either that or watch Fight Club :king:

When was the last time Norfolkl hosted three Artic redpoles at the same time?

I know about the Titchwell and Kelling ones, where is the third?

Arctic Redpolls sometimes occur in influxes of tens of birds, including the winter of 1995/96, so possibly then unless anyone can remember groups since.

Hi all

I have a friend who's been planning a trip down for the Western Sand for ages, and has finally got an opportunity for tomorrow. So of course, sod's law comes into play and it hasn't been reported on BirdGuides today. Anyone got any local knowledge, positive or negative, that can aid him in his dilemma?

Cheers

Andy

OK, message has just come on BirdGuides saying briefly at 12.30. If that was you that entered it, thanks!

Cheers

Andy

Kelling redpolls

We had excellent views of the flock today, must be up towards 100 birds, as to the identity of the 2nd bird I can see both sides of the argument. In the flesh I think the overall colouration is very similar, both being very pale, but with the 2nd bird being a colder colour than the classic bird. There are subtle differences but you will need good views. The second bird appears to have a completely clear white undertail ? But does have one tramline on the flanks often hidden by the folded wing.

The birds are quite skittish and flighty and show best on the lawn when there are few people around, maybe park further away and approach with caution. A colleague also suggested a probable dark icelandic bird in the flock, a big dark one basically, as to the rest of the flock I'd say split fairly equally between lesser and mealy, though you could argue over that too! including at least one lovely male mealy with a raspberry pink chest.

We then headed west and ended up seeing the Titchwell redpoll as well, although nowhere near as obvious, structurally it looks pretty similar to me.

Don't you just love redpolls

There were 80+ arctic redpolls in the mid 96/97 invasion and I managed to see none of them !

Few more questions for you Norfolk birders, just trying to make sure I'm prepared for my trip this weekend. First off, I think I'm correct in thinking the Redpolls at Kelling are one someone's lawn, so does that mean they are not viewable to the general public? Just trying to get as many irons in the fire as possible, every possibility the Titchwell bird could move on, though seems unlikely.

Also wondered if there were any notable feral geese around, I know that a couple of supposedly genuine Ross' have been seen recently, as well as the Lesser White-Front, but are either of these species, or any other interesting ones, are also present as feral birds?

Second question is much, much stranger. Has anyone on their travels around Norfolk seen a dead Muntjac or Chinese Water Deer by the side of the road anywhere? As a teacher, I often clean up animal skulls as teaching resources, and I think either (or both) of these would be quite a nice addition.

Thanks for any info,

James

Last edited:
Second question is much, much stranger. Has anyone on their travels around Norfolk seen a dead Muntjac or Chinese Water Deer by the side of the road anywhere? As a teacher, I often clean up animal skulls as teaching resources, and I think either (or both) of these would be quite a nice addition.
This is of no help to you but, as the saying goes, you should have been here earlier. In June last year a pregnant female Chinese Water Deer was hit by a train at Buckenham station and three fully developed but unborn calves were ripped out of her womb and left in the middle of the track. It was an horrific but strangely fascinating sight. I had been wondering what to do with this image but it might be of interest to you.

WARNING:
DO NOT CLICK ON THE THUMBNAIL IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH!

If anybody thinks this post should be removed, please let me know and I will delete it.

Ron

Attachments

• Unborn-small.jpg
    Unborn-small.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
This is of no help to you but, as the saying goes, you should have been here earlier. In June last year a pregnant female Chinese Water Deer was hit by a train at Buckenham station and three fully developed but unborn calves were ripped out of her womb and left in the middle of the track. It was an horrific but strangely fascinating sight. I had been wondering what to do with this image but it might be of interest to you.

WARNING:
DO NOT CLICK ON THE THUMBNAIL IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH!

If anybody thinks this post should be removed, please let me know and I will delete it.

Ron

thats pretty messed up Nospringchicken but now we are getting it out there, I was in East Norfolk once with the long lost Ilya Maclean, we hit a Chinese Water Deer in the car but it was pretty clear cut, the deer stepped out into the middle of the road and did that freeze, duh I'm a deer thing, we went straight over it, bum bum bum, no damage to car but it was gone straight away, kind of feel this is quite cathartic, its nasty experience but every now and again its going to happen.

each to their own but probably the best place for collecting antlers and deer artifacts will be Holkham Park

Also wondered if there were any notable feral geese around, I know that a couple of supposedly genuine Ross' have been seen recently, as well as the Lesser White-Front, but are either of these species, or any other interesting ones, are also present as feral birds?
James

James, if you go to Buckenham/Cantley there is a feral Lesser white front with a few greylag and farmyard geese, look in the field that the hide looks out to (right of the track if you are walking up to the river), this flock never seem to cross the main track. Also at Buckenham there is a flock of 20-32 feral Barnacle geese, this also contains a rather smart (but feral/hybrid?) blue phase Ross' goose. As well as these there is also from time to time a red breasted goose x barnacle hybrid which makes an interesting and noisy addition. Finally there is at least one 'wild' neck ringed greylag about from time to time so check the greylags too.
Enjoy the ferals!

James, if you go to Buckenham/Cantley there is a feral Lesser white front with a few greylag and farmyard geese, look in the field that the hide looks out to (right of the track if you are walking up to the river), this flock never seem to cross the main track. Also at Buckenham there is a flock of 20-32 feral Barnacle geese, this also contains a rather smart (but feral/hybrid?) blue phase Ross' goose. As well as these there is also from time to time a red breasted goose x barnacle hybrid which makes an interesting and noisy addition. Finally there is at least one 'wild' neck ringed greylag about from time to time so check the greylags too.
Enjoy the ferals!

Ben - on a recent visit to Buckenham there was a party of 7 Barnacles feeding amongst the Taiga Beans and I wondered if you knew whether the feral ones ever split into smaller groups and joined fully wild Geese?

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back