• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (1 Viewer)

BirdingRob

Brit abroad
The passage is really taking off now in my neck of the woods.

The first passage warbler was seen today. But what is it?

One suggestion is female eastern orphean warbler. I like the suggestion particularly as it would be a lifer for me!

Comments very welcome

Rob www.birdingforalark.blogspot.com

PS photo quality is not as good as yesterday's pied wheatear on account that warblers don't stay still.

Attachments

• bird2.jpg
    bird2.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 84
  • bird4.jpg
    bird4.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 104
Thanks for the comments. They have got me thinking and researching.

We get desert lesser whitethroat wintering here in numbers. Previous records show we do get lesser whitethroat coming through on passage but later. I now believe it is lesser whitethroat too. The dark cheeks alone are very big for the desert variety. Can we definitely rule desert lesser whitethroat out?

Rob www.birdingforalark.blogspot.com

Last edited:
On your blog the first two photos are of a Green Sandpiper and a couple of Common Teal.

I agree the Warbler is a Lesser Whitethroat. It's usually the earliest migrant Sylvia over here. This is more or less the right time for the first birds to start passing through.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back