• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gundlach's Hawk - request for recent info (1 Viewer)

lewis20126

Hi all

I'm off for a trip to Cuba at the end of March and I'm keen to get any recent information on this elusive species. I'm aware that some guides may know of nest sites but these sites can be well guarded secrets as you might expect. If anyone knows of an active site, or a guide who can show me this species, please do let me know; PM as required.

Thanks,
alan

Hi all

I'm off for a trip to Cuba at the end of March and I'm keen to get any recent information on this elusive species. I'm aware that some guides may know of nest sites but these sites can be well guarded secrets as you might expect. If anyone knows of an active site, or a guide who can show me this species, please do let me know; PM as required.

Thanks,
alan

Hi Alan,

I'm off myself in two weeks time, staying on Cayo Guillermo.

As I'm going with the wife, this is not a hardcore birding trip, but I will certainly be organising a couple of trips with a guide to secure some of the more localised specialities.

I will e-mail the guide I am using and ask him about Gundlach's. If the info is sensitive, I will send you a PM.

Cheers

Steve

There's a regular nest site on Cayo Coco, Alan, where a pair has been breeding in the same area for c. 7 years. It's somewhat hard to describe exactly where it is though and I don't have coordinates; you'll need to ask the local guides.

Alternatively, go to the Motel Los Caneyes, on the outskirts of Santa Clara. A pair has nested in the grounds regularly in recent years. Don't know about this year though.

If all else fails, search places like La Turba or La Majagua in Zapata.

Hi Alan,

I'm off myself in two weeks time, staying on Cayo Guillermo.

As I'm going with the wife, this is not a hardcore birding trip, but I will certainly be organising a couple of trips with a guide to secure some of the more localised specialities.

I will e-mail the guide I am using and ask him about Gundlach's. If the info is sensitive, I will send you a PM.

Cheers

Steve

Have a good one![ I am the correspondent who went last year]
We are flying from Manchester to Guardalavaca a week next Wednesday.
I am sure you will have a great holiday.Just in time for the migrants passing through.
I would be very interested in a brief report.

There's a regular nest site on Cayo Coco, Alan, where a pair has been breeding in the same area for c. 7 years. It's somewhat hard to describe exactly where it is though and I don't have coordinates; you'll need to ask the local guides.

Alternatively, go to the Motel Los Caneyes, on the outskirts of Santa Clara. A pair has nested in the grounds regularly in recent years. Don't know about this year though.

If all else fails, search places like La Turba or La Majagua in Zapata.

Guy

Many thanks for that, excellent gen. I'll let people known how I get on on here.

cheers, alan

Al,

Just returned and although a great trip we missed Gundlach's. However, when travelling back to Havana we learnt of a possible site behind a restaurant/hotel near Santa Clara which fits GMK's description - sorry no further details.

Best of luck anyway
Stu

Al,

Just returned and although a great trip we missed Gundlach's. However, when travelling back to Havana we learnt of a possible site behind a restaurant/hotel near Santa Clara which fits GMK's description - sorry no further details.

Best of luck anyway
Stu

Stuart

thanks, was the Quail-dove blind at Bermejas operating this year?

cheers, alan

Yes, but BHQD was far easier at the wooded area by the little restaurant, Cuevas de la Pesces, on the left (inland) as you drive back to Playa Giron. Late afternoon, say 4 onwards is your best bet.

Al,

Best of luck anyway
Stu

Hi Stu,

Just got back from Cuba myself this morning. I stayed on Cayo Guillermo with the wife so wasn't a hardcore birding trip. Nevertheless, scored well with many of the local endemics and specialities as well as many superb migrants(will post details on other thread).

We took a coach trip for 3 days in Havana. Quite spookily, I saw a Gundlach's soaring next to the roadside not far from Santa Clara and you have now mentioned this. The area was pretty non descript with open arable land and scattered copses. Not being the milometer, I couldn't accurately say how far it was from Santa Clara.

The previous occupied nest site on Cayo Coco is not yet occupied. I had a trip out with local guide Paulino Delgado and he also hasn't seen them at this site yet this year.

Steve

ps re-reading this thread, we actually stayed at Hotel Las Caneyes for lunch on the return journey. I saw the bird on the journey to Havana heading West. In hindsight and by looking at its location on google, it would have been around here so presumably they are still in the area.

Last edited:
An update on the Gundlach's situation:

Caya Coco: I met Paulino yesterday and he told me the same story as told to The Snapper; he blamed the "no show" this year on disturbance by photograhers and pipeline construction, last year.

Santa Clara: The usual pair is not nesting - I was shown last years nest - in a tall Casuarina - by one of the gardeners and found another nest, in another Casuarina. My Spanish is not good enough to understand the reason for the disappearance of this pair, but is seemed to involve persecution of some kind. The good news is that there is still an immature bird here - 2CY? with heavy streaks on belly - it is very shy when perched, but can show in flight and calls occasionally, some record photos to be posted. Perhaps it will attract a mate for next year?

I also saw an adult twice at La Mera, Zapata; the second time carrying prey, then calling in response to playback. I really thought I would find a nest here but it was not in the area I searched.

A successful self drive trip aroudn Cuba, I'd seen all bar the two eastern endemics (excluding the rail!) after three days birding! I was surprised to find (photographed) Oriente Warbler as far west as Santa Clara - a good reord or normal range ( I need a book!).

cheers, alan

Yes, but BHQD was far easier at the wooded area by the little restaurant, Cuevas de la Pesces, on the left (inland) as you drive back to Playa Giron. Late afternoon, say 4 onwards is your best bet.

Still the best spot, easy after 4pm; check around the garbage store and view from the small building with the mast on top. I saw 2 the first day and one the second.

cheers, alan

An update on the Gundlach's situation:

Santa Clara: The usual pair is not nesting - I was shown last years nest - in a tall Casuarina - by one of the gardeners and found another nest, in another Casuarina. My Spanish is not good enough to understand the reason for the disappearance of this pair, but is seemed to involve persecution of some kind. The good news is that there is still an immature bird here - 2CY? with heavy streaks on belly - it is very shy when perched, but can show in flight and calls occasionally, some record photos to be posted. Perhaps it will attract a mate for next year?

Saw this bird again on Friday, en route back to Havana. Better photos this time and perched scope views were much appreciated, photos to come.

cheers, a

I was surprised to find (photographed) Oriente Warbler as far west as Santa Clara - a good reord or normal range ( I need a book!).

cheers, alan

Alan, I'd be interested in the precise details of your record, but in a nutshell, Oriente does get this far W (and even further), having been recorded at "Isabela de Sagua (El Dorado) and Monte Ramonal near Corralillo, Villa Clara province; as well as W of Salinas de Bidos, Itabo, Matanzas province".

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back