• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

External hard drive. (1 Viewer)

I have 250gb Lacie. Use it to back up all important documents, music, photo's etc. Just copy what you want to save to it.

In XP the drive should be recognised without having to do anything...just switch it on. You can then access it through 'My Computer' or if saving files should come up as a valid destination.

In XP the drive should be recognised without having to do anything...just switch it on. You can then access it through 'My Computer' or if saving files should come up as a valid destination.

Yep that's what mine does - exactly the same as plugging in a Memory stick.

Hi Henry B,

I'm not sure if this info answers your question:

Option 1
>"Select" the file that you want to save by using your mouse
>Right click mouse ("Drop Down Menu" should appear)
>Hover mouse pointer (if you have enabled "Hover option" for your mouse) over "Send To"...(if "Hover Option" is not enabled, then left click on "Send To")
>Left click on the Drive that you want to send file to (Drive E,F,G,H,etc)

Option 2
>Left click "Edit" tab (probably located in upper left corner of your screen)
>Left click "Select All" (if you want to save the entire folder)
>Left click "File" tab (again, upper left corner)
>Click or Hover on "Send To" (same as Option 1)

Hope this helps,

Boomer

Henry B,

Glad to help.

You can do basically the same thing with the "Save" command. Follow the same paths as in above post, except you will be using: "Save" and "Save As" (instead of "Send" and Send To")...(then you have to decide how you want to "Save" it, and where you want to "Save" it...such as your target Drive Letter).

Hope this doesn't muddle up an apparently already fuzzy picture.

Boomer

So far so good ,Boomer. pictures are now in the external drive, can I now delete the ones on the C drive ?The reason for all this was that the pc was running out of memory .

Henry,

Yes, once you copy, send, or save the pics to your external drive, you can delete/erase them from your internal hard drive.

Boomer

What about formatting the drive before using it? I've got two external drives on the go and I formatted them both to NTFS.

Henry B,

When you first installed your external hard drive, XP should have offered you the option to format it in NTFS format. Not really necessary, but might have given you more space, as I believe that XP is NTFS by default (but backward compatible to FAT 32). I highly recommend getting the book, "WINDOWS XP FOR DUMMIES." It is not really only for "Dummies," but is actually an excellent reference manual, and makes using XP quite easy. I use it quite frequently (maybe I'm a "Dummy," but less so each time I use it). I hope all goes well.

Boomer

Boomer ,I did follow the instructions when I installed it,and yesterday was the first time it,s been used,[ I thought that it did things automatically] ..I,ll see if I can get hold of the manual you mention..

FAT32 volumes can be converted to NTFS volumes. NTFS cannot be converted to FAT32 without reformatting.

NTFS handles space management much more efficiently than FAT32. Cluster sizes play an important part in how much disk space is wasted storing files. NTFS provides smaller cluster sizes and less disk space waste than FAT32.

In Windows XP, the maximum partition size that can be created using FAT32 is 32GB. This increases to 16TB (terabytes) using NTFS.
FAT32 drives are much more susceptible to disk errors. NTFS volumes have the ability to recover from errors more readily than similar FAT32 volumes. Log files are created under NTFS which can be used for automatic file system repairs.NTFS supports dynamic cluster remapping for bad sectors and prevent them from being used in the future.
As the prior versions of Windows continue to age and are replaced in the home and workplace there will be no need for the older file systems. Hard drives aren't going to get smaller, networks are likely to get larger and more complex, and security is evolving almost daily as more and more users become connected. For all the innovations that Windows 95 brought to the desktop, it's now a virtual dinosaur. Windows 98 is fast on the way out and that leaves NT and Windows 2000, both well suited to NTFS. To wrap up, there may be compelling reasons why your current situation requires a file system other than NTFS or a combination of different systems for compatibility, but if at all possible go with NTFS. Even if you don't utilize its full scope of features, the stability and reliability it offers make it the hands down choice.

Last edited:
HI Javva, thanks for info but I,m afraid most [all] of it has gone right over my head. PCs and and me are not a good match..

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back