• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch 10X42 DCF (Mk III) OR Hawke Frontier ED 10x36 (1 Viewer)

toadoftoadhall

Looking to buy one or the other.
The Nikons can be had at microglobe for £234 which is well cheap for these, and the Hawke with ED glass £289 at Clifton cameras. Clifton C' are within driving distance, and probably going down to have a look this weekend, but anyone have experience of these bins, and shop.

toad

Since you may be going to have a look through some this weekend, here are my further ideas. You'll find the Hawke impressive, quite nice to handle with big clear views, maybe good enough to justify £55 more than the Monarch, which is smaller and shorter than I expected. Both are made in China and (IMO) build quality is not yet up to the Japanese, but pretty good nevertheless. The Hawke's cosmetically more 'jazzy' than the Nikon; it's all a matter of taste, but personally I prefer the 'understated' look, whereas some might think the Monarch too plain. Quite apart from optical quality (and you will probably find a favourite quite quickly) ergonomics also play a big part; again, it shouldn't take long for you to decide which feels 'just right'. I've not actually visited Clifton's shop, but only this week I bought from them online a Nikon 80mm spotting scope which was a bargain, was delivered very speedily, and was fully as described, so my only experience of them has been very good. Enjoy your trip, and I hope you find what you're looking for...

Toad,

I've used Microglobe for online ordering and visited the shop. They are not geared up for callers, (more than a little odd), but found them helpful and very efficient all the same. Isn't Sherwoods Photo a bit closer to you than Clifton? I've not been to either.

I've not tried the MkIII, but found strong preferences for ergonomics vs. view when I compared the Hawke to the previous Nikon. Have fun.

David

Looking to buy one or the other.
The Nikons can be had at microglobe for £234 which is well cheap for these, and the Hawke with ED glass £289 at Clifton cameras. Clifton C' are within driving distance, and probably going down to have a look this weekend, but anyone have experience of these bins, and shop.

toad

Toad,

I'm based in Worcester and run The Birders Store website. We sell the Hawke Frontier ED's and have the 10x36 model in stock here: http://www.birders-store-hawke.co.uk/hawke_frontier_ed_binoculars_6.html.

An optics day is being held at Upton Warren on Saturday April 9th or if you want them before then I also offer a 'try before you buy service' at home or other suitable location at times to suit.

You can contact me through the website if your prefer.

Brian

toadoftoadhall,

you may have read my posts here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2034815#post2034815

Now I have a Monarch X 10,5x45, altogether a nice bin, but its CA is most prominent and the Hawke should be a lot better in this respect.
But the deeply recessed ocular lens of the Hawke made it unusable for me as a spectacle wearer, and I could also note the infamous slow focus speed.
Furthermore, the Hawke 10x36 is obviously not a 10x, probably closer to a 9x. I am happy with the Monarch, but now and then I get very disturbed by the CA.

Best wishes

//L

Last edited:
Toad,

I have just picked up a pair of 8x36 Hawke ED's and could not be happier for the money.

I wear spectacles and have no problems with the 8x36 ED's, the focus is slow but you get used to it so not a deal breaker for me.

I paid £210 new for the bins.

Hope this helps!

Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back