• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best non-Canon guide to using EOS 7D features? (1 Viewer)

mikenott

Flawed but improving!
England
Got a nice new EOS7D o:) and a useful, but not entirely user friendly Canon EOS 7D User Manual. So if I wanted to buy a book by a third party to teach myself a bit more about using the 7D which one would you guys recommend? Use will be mainly for wildlife/birds and I am more technically minded than artistic interpretation. These are the main ones I could find on Amazon....

1.Canon EOS 7D for Dummies by Doug Sahlin
2. Magic Lantern Guides: Canon EOS 7d by Michael Guncheon
3. Magic Lantern Guides: Canon EOS 7d Multimedia Workshop by Lark Books
4. Canon EOS 7D (Expanded Guide) by Andy Stansfield
5. Canon EOS 7D Digital Field Guide by Charlotte K. Lowrie

Grateful for any views :t:

Mike,

You can read as many books as you like on the 7D but unfortunately there is no real substitute for getting out with it yourself and experimenting. Not everyone has the camera set up the same way. There is no end of folks on here that will give you as much guff on the 7D as you can handle,not all of it remotely useful or perhaps suitable to your style of shooting

1.Canon EOS 7D for Dummies by Doug Sahlin
2. Magic Lantern Guides: Canon EOS 7d by Michael Guncheon
3. Magic Lantern Guides: Canon EOS 7d Multimedia Workshop by Lark Books
4. Canon EOS 7D (Expanded Guide) by Andy Stansfield
5. Canon EOS 7D Digital Field Guide by Charlotte K. Lowrie

I bought #5 on your list.

To be brutally honest it doesn't add much to the manual that came with the camera. Whilst it isn't a bad book by any means it goes through a lot of very basic stuff that any amateur/hobbyist who is halfway competent would already know. I suspect the other books might not be so different.

There is more useful stuff online on the various forums.

I also got the Art Morris PDF guide. Again, it is OK as far as it goes but you can find almost all the info it contains for free online.

Or like Chris says it's better to work it out for yourself sometimes.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back