• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica flycatcher (1 Viewer)

Hamhed

Taken at about 1000 meters near Cariblanco on the Caribbean slope. My best guess is Least Flycatcher; without primary projection visible, some kind of Empidonax might have to be close enough.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_9201.JPG
    IMG_9201.JPG
    341.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9200.JPG
    IMG_9200.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 57
Unfortunately, it was normal for our trip. The dry day we all had together in Sarapiqui was one of the best (dry and birdy) of our 16 day stay.

Steve

It certainly was good! I heard about the following morning which happened while we were driving towards Rancho Naturalista :eek!:

Niels

My best guess for this guy would be Yellow-bellied. I've seen them this dull a few times before. The short bill and general "cute" look point towards either Least or Yellow-bellied. The throat also looks to have a yellowish tinge to it, and the eye ring looks fairly thin, but still well-defined. The eye ring also looks to have a yellowish tinge, which also supports the ID. Based on my Costa Rica guide, Yellow-bellied would also be the most common "american" empid there this time of year (I think).

Ethan

My best guess for this guy would be Yellow-bellied. I've seen them this dull a few times before. The short bill and general "cute" look point towards either Least or Yellow-bellied. The throat also looks to have a yellowish tinge to it, and the eye ring looks fairly thin, but still well-defined. The eye ring also looks to have a yellowish tinge, which also supports the ID. Based on my Costa Rica guide, Yellow-bellied would also be the most common "american" empid there this time of year (I think).

Ethan

You are right about Yellow-bellied being the most common migrant Empid in Costa Rica. In fact, they are almost the only Empid one sees! For whatever reason, this didnt jump out at me as being a Yellow-bellied but I think you are right. Looking closely at it, the eye ring does appear to be a bit peaked behind the eye, wings are a darker contrasting color, and it does have yellowish on the throat.

Researching the Yellow-belllied Flycatcher on the web, I am seeing many with little or no yellow. Not what I'm used to seeing here in North Carolina but I guess I'll have to adjust my id techniques for this bird.
Thanks for the help, Ethan and Patrick -

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back