• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

Two Wood Sandpipers on moors in addition to the one remaining on flashes - so three on site!

Male Yellow Wagtail briefly on flashes plus female White Wagtail still.

What a fantastic 24hrs, five lifers and six UW year ticks (waits for Phil's mocking giggle) 8-P

Will be there all day tomorrow, so lets hope for some more of those winged treasures.

Dave:king: let's hope this isn't a week too early, fingers crossed it continues well after next weeks 'all-dayer'. But I think at this rate a few of us will be fatigued, just to add to all you 'newbies' its not always like this:eek!:...well it never used to be. Keep em coming, milk it while we can. :t:

Talking of which the attachment shows the record 92 species not sure which year..Mike will tell us.
B :)John

Attachments

• 92 species all dayer.jpg
    92 species all dayer.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 82
Manadged to get down the warren for 5 hours yday, but the thundestorms never materialised, and the barwits didnt drop out of the sky, the reserve was very busy
However bad points over there was some bloody good birds, as mentioned in alot of previous posts.
SDC10223.JPG

SDC10255.jpg

SDC10259.jpg

SDC10260.JPG

MB

Manadged to get down the warren for 5 hours yday, but the thundestorms never materialised, and the barwits didnt drop out of the sky, the reserve was very busy
However bad points over there was some bloody good birds, as mentioned in alot of previous posts.
View attachment 321698

View attachment 321699

View attachment 321700

View attachment 321701

MB

Nice Pics Craig. Funny enough I was talking to a geazer about the food items in the flashes (ref pic 2). Anecdotal evidence from years back indicated that mosquito larvae was the predominant prey. However we have always questioned this and I am not sure what the waders are feeding on. The greenshank appears to be eating a snail like item (similar to rams horn). The next time we cage an LRP we will have to get a bucket of water/mud and get it analysed.

A nice morning at the Flashes and Education Centre today. Good to see so many regulars and so many chicks (of all species). Didn't venture over to the Moors. Wasted an hour in the Hen Pool hide looking at Phrag only to wander into the main Flashes Hide (via the feeding station) and find Sedge Warblers singing in the scrub each side of the hide (is it me or are than more than ever this year?)! Here are a few shots (heard the Garden Warbler but failed to connect)...

Attachments

• Avocet 1_resize.jpg
    Avocet 1_resize.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Lapwing 1_resize.jpg
    Lapwing 1_resize.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Linnet1_resize.jpg
    Linnet1_resize.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Sedge Warbler 1_resize.jpg
    Sedge Warbler 1_resize.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Greenfich 1_resize.jpg
    Greenfich 1_resize.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Two Arctic Terns amongst Commons and Black-headed Gulls on the Moors Pool at c.1.00 p.m.

Got the barwit |=)| but missed the harrier :-C

Was there 8.30-2pm today, and some great birds seen.
Added Barwit,Swift and...... Marsh Harrier from the Moors B :)

Saw 2 Wood Sands departing Moors but later 1 still present in same field of view as Snipe and Green Sand at one point on the flashes.

Common Sand, and 6.5 Common Terns. 2 Arctics had just arrived when I left.

Spent 30mins waiting for Reed Warbler to show but just too windy I think.Plenty of time to nab a good view hopefully.I was afraid to leave for what may show :eek!:

Last edited:

Attachments

• Barwit.jpg
    Barwit.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
What another fantastic day of birding on top of the brilliant week we have just had. By the time I left at 3ish the following had been recorded:

FLASHES
Wood Sand, Whimbrel, Yellow Wag, female White Wag (considered by Mike to be a different bird from yesterday), Hobby, Redshank, Green Sand, Common Sand

MOORS POOL
Bar-tailed Godwit (summer plumage), 2 Wood Sand from 0815 t0 0845 then flew north, female Marsh Harrier through, 2 Arctic Terns, 6 Common Terns, several Swifts, 3 Common Sand, 2 Rook over.

Also Garden Warbler still in the Education Reserve and 3 Willow Warblers singing across the reserve, each in an area that has benefited from active scrub management (Hen Brook, secret garden, adjoining gate to path to East Hide at the Moors).

With Greenshank heard calling over-night, a total of 13 wader species have been recorded today; this is believed to equal the reserve's record.

My Upton year list is now on 117, still a significant distance behind the likes of Dave and Jared.

Last edited:
Dave:king: let's hope this isn't a week too early, fingers crossed it continues well after next weeks 'all-dayer'. But I think at this rate a few of us will be fatigued, just to add to all you 'newbies' its not always like this:eek!:...well it never used to be. Keep em coming, milk it while we can. :t:

Talking of which the attachment shows the record 92 species not sure which year..Mike will tell us.
B :)John

If you look at the board it states the totals for 91, 92 and 93 so I would think this is 1994? Back in the day you used to get Turtle Dove :-C:-C

Edit: having cross-referenced the sighting of 4 Ruff can confirm this was indeed 1994.

Last edited:
Got a text from Craig to say he'd seen a flock of 27 Bar-tailed Godwits fly over the moors - so, perhaps, another record broken(?). More to come tomorrow perhaps.

The female Marsh Harrier made my day.

A selection of today's photos below:

Attachments

• Bar-tailed Godwit Moors 300411.JPG
    Bar-tailed Godwit Moors 300411.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 89
  • Wood Sandpiper 300411.jpg
    Wood Sandpiper 300411.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Redshank Flashes 300411.jpg
    Redshank Flashes 300411.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 64
  • Friendly Chaffinch UW 300411.jpg
    Friendly Chaffinch UW 300411.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Lapwing chick 300411.jpg
    Lapwing chick 300411.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 61
Got a text from Craig to say he'd seen a flock of 27 Bar-tailed Godwits fly over the moors - so, perhaps, another record broken(?).

Indeed so - assuming there was still one bird on the ground that would make 28. The previous record was a fly-over flock of 25 which was a cold weather movement on the 3rd Jan 1990. After these two sizeable flocks the next largest record is six!

Bar-tailed Godwit is the 137th species record at Upton Warren this year.

Last edited:
Indeed so - assuming there was still one bird on the ground that would make 28. The previous record was a fly-over flock of 25 which was a cold weather movement on the 3rd Jan 1990. After these two sizeable flocks the next largest record is six!

Bar-tailed Godwit is the 137th species record at Upton Warren this year.

Hi Phil,

To the best of my knowledge, it's a county record as well, previously 26 unless anyone has a higher figure.

Brian

For anyone wanting to include their Upton Warren 2011 year list. See the following and contact Brian Stretch with your list. Brian will be at Upton warren next Saturday in the sailing pool centre see the advert on the following:-
http://worcesterbirding.co.uk/
http://www.uptonwarrenbirding.co.uk/upton_warren_year_listing_45.html

Brian can you post the address to send year lists to.
John

Thanks John:t:,

Anyone can enter the 2011 listing challenge, though it looks like only second place is currently up for grabs;).

Email your full name, total species (not incl. Feral Pigeon) and highlights to date (max of c20) to [email protected]

I'll aim to update every Tues or Weds so that the rankings remain fairly consistent.

Brian

More Damsels

Hi Des,

Damselflies were out in force today - including Large Reds, Common Blues, Banded and Beautiful Demoiselles (photos below) - especially along the Salwarpe. Perhaps it's time to start looking for Variables(?).

Also, any chance we might get a Vagrant Emperor Dragonfly? ;)

Attachments

• Male Banded Demoiselle 300411.JPG
    Male Banded Demoiselle 300411.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Male Beautiful Demoiselle 300411.JPG
    Male Beautiful Demoiselle 300411.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 67
After such a great day at the warren yday, i was very happy thet we got away from the gardening job early, then we went to earlswood lakes, where a year tick in the form of 2 Arctic tern, also THE most plastic mandarin you will ever see, But enough of that...

The Barwit at the moors being my target but Andy P informed me that the bird hadnt been seen while he was in the hide in th afternoon, However, my 3rd and 4th Arctic tern of the year (and day) shown superbly throughout the time i was up there, a common sand and 2 LRP also.
For the 1st time i spied the 'secret' garden on the way to the hide so decided to have a check on the way back, we did, and a Roe Deer burst out of the nettles by the tree line, and ran towards the road, having never seen a roe deer at the warren, we stayed and had a look for a bit, after about 5 mins and no sign around the north moors plantation ( it ran across the road) i had a quick check of the garden again, nothing, so i walked out, and there was a large flock of birds flying past going north. Bins up:
BAR-TAILED GODWITS!!!!
they were low enough to see the brick red colour of many of the males in the flock, but there was also a fair proportion of brown females, they were battling a strong N-NE wind so their progress was slow, i checked all their rumps, and all had the 'wedge' on their back showing all to be Barwits, they flew to the power lines to the north and started to circle briefly, giving hope they would fly back but they didnt, I counted 27 Birds as they flew away from us, this all happened between 6:11-6:13PM.
Absolutly stunning
After a further 5-10 mins hoping they would fly back we moved to the flashes for the roost.
I spread the news to the 'crowd' in the car park and walked down, And yet another Bar- Tailed Godwit was feeding at the back of the flashes ( the bird that had stayed the day), the Wood sand was feeding at the back of the flash, wtih a green sand + Snipe, the Whimbrel also remained, while i walked to the petrol station to ge a drink a peregrine was seen to pluck a woodpigeon in the field to the south, and i saw both the male+ female squabbling on the mast over the kill.
2 curlew dropped in and the F white wag also remained (which i would say looked darker than yday's bird??)
A great 2 days
MB

I think i read this yday that a bird that was missing off the day list was green woodie,
I would like to say that we had a bird on the east side of the moors yday,
sorry to mess up your stats phil :p
MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back