• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (5 Viewers)

I think its a Coal Tit and loads of them at home in Omeath and I have often counted 7 or 8 Great Tits at one time on feeders or sitting on the shed wall. Heaps of Blue Tits too and two Dunnocks about all the time. I have one identical to first photo in my garden here all winter so wondering is Coal Tit correct. They are a lovely little bird and mine has a lovely burnt orangey colour on it. I also have three Dunnocks who never leave and one is larger than others with much greyer head and black stripey sides. All the lovely Redwings still here, I wonder will they disappear in the good weather.

Attachments

• P3161995.JPG
    P3161995.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Omeath february 072.jpg
    Omeath february 072.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 56
  • P3161992.JPG
    P3161992.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 41
  • P3161994.JPG
    P3161994.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 50
I have my puzzling mostly browny/a little of green birds finally back again with ordinary Greenfinches. I got one a week ago and mother studied it through my new binoculars on saturday and agrees with me that although not unlike a female or juvenile Greenfinch still looks enough different than hers. I could hardly believe today to see a second different one which has to be either male or the female. I only saw the front of match for about 20 seconds and then turned back to me, my impression was bit more colourful so possibly the male.
What strikes me most of all about these birds or rather one I think is the female is the champagne white four thick stripes straight down throat interspersed with browny which stands out, same browny heads with black eye but no dark shadow at all around eye like usual Greenfinches. Also the beak is smaller and straight neater shape, I think different colour on top maybe a little. Chest is light browny and champagne heavy streaked with a noticeable yellowy big splash down on the belly and I noticed bit of champagne white on shoulders but saw unusual green woodland colour in same place on one I think was male today. The face is not harsh like usual Greenfinches. I also noticed lots of the same champagne white under wings when birds fly away.
I could see the back of one for ages today and no colourful back like a Greenfinch just wings edged with blacky grey rather like back of Redpolls actually. Also I noticed the tail is different as it is much thinner not fork tailed just small rounded edged tail, think longer than Greenfinch but not certain of that. One bird had like warmer brown vaguely striped back but other seemed just plain fawny browny back. I could see the unusual woodland green colour in a straight plain thick stripe down on lower back when wings opened ready to fly off. One had a little soft yellow stripe on edges of lower wings but not the same as Greenfinches but the other one had not or very little.
I hope to get new camera later in year more suitable for taking bird pictures. I will try with one I have but felt more important to get details of the birds at minute. I havent a clue what they really are except not in my books. They have absolutely no grey on them. My mother has lots of juveniles and says not correct for those either. They are taking shelled sunflower seeds out of a feeder and one awkwardly tried peanut feeder for few minutes. The good thing is they are breeding as now three of them that I know of.

I had definitely six possibly seven of these birds on saturday morning and two think juveniles trying to go on Niger feeder with the Redpolls. Anyway juveniles totally plain medium/dark brown backed birds that I have ever seen from head to toe and just little sooty black edging around end of wings. I had Greenfinches with them and their juvenile totally different coloured from these smallish birds. I couldnt see any woodland green at all on query juveniles but came home 6pm to one of birds with ordinary Greenfinch.
This bird was darkish brown (but most of them are medium brown/some fawny) and I could see the woodland green colour on this one clearly down on lower back but nowhere else that I could see. I saw one of birds on ground saturday and not even shape of Greenfinch as seems fatter around neck but smaller bird. I think I know every bird in my book (only joking .....I wish) but still cant figure out what these are other than much nicer and different colour than Greenfinches. There are so few browny greeny birds in my books so I just give up and then some have a little soft yellow instead.

Alpine Swift Drogheda

Anyone got details of the Alpine Swift reported from St Joseph's CBS School on the Termonkeckin Rd, Drogheda between noon and 4pm today???????

alpine swift

Anyone got details of the Alpine Swift reported from St Joseph's CBS School on the Termonkeckin Rd, Drogheda between noon and 4pm today???????

Got word today at 12 30,went up at 2 30 spent 1 hour left before 4pm got word it was seen again,went back up at 6 pm until dark without seeing it.If anyone sees it please ring 087 4193625.....gerry ...

I keep looking at photos of Corn Bunting birds because of the black eyes, beaks and throat markings, colourings etc ........ but then there shouldnt be any green on them at all and why are some quite dark brown and smallish and just one or two seen more colourful. And they are such lovely birds well certainly compared to the Greenfinches they are mostly with. They are also not happy to be in garden and disappear after seconds but one hid in tree for ages today near a Greenfinch.

Got word today at 12 30,went up at 2 30 spent 1 hour left before 4pm got word it was seen again,went back up at 6 pm until dark without seeing it.If anyone sees it please ring 087 4193625.....gerry ...

It is certainly a bumper period for them - yesterday was a particulary good day with seven Alpine Swifts in Ireland and Britain: singles in Cornwall at Marazion, Devon at Exminster Marshes, Essex at Frinton-on-Sea, Norfolk at Winterton, London at Leyton Flats, Somerset at Dunster Beach and of course Drogheda; although only the Cornish bird lingered.
Although duplication is possible, perhaps 14 Alpine Swifts have been recorded across 12 counties over the last four days.

alpine swift

It is certainly a bumper period for them - yesterday was a particulary good day with seven Alpine Swifts in Ireland and Britain: singles in Cornwall at Marazion, Devon at Exminster Marshes, Essex at Frinton-on-Sea, Norfolk at Winterton, London at Leyton Flats, Somerset at Dunster Beach and of course Drogheda; although only the Cornish bird lingered.
Although duplication is possible, perhaps 14 Alpine Swifts have been recorded across 12 counties over the last four days.

Alpine swift reported again at 9. am this morning in Drogheda......

Just wondering how regular or irregular are Alpine Swifts to Louth? When was the last record?
Do Alpine Swifts migrate earlier than common swifts which dont normally arrive until late April/May? Was there any poor weather that sent them this north so early in season?

Just wondering how regular or irregular are Alpine Swifts to Louth? When was the last record?
Do Alpine Swifts migrate earlier than common swifts which dont normally arrive until late April/May? Was there any poor weather that sent them this north so early in season?

Hi Steve
I do not recall any previous records for alpine swift in Louth.
Not sure if they actually migrate earlier than common swifts, but they have a tendency to wander alot more, with many recorded far from their breeding grounds. They winter much further south in Africa than common swifts.
A truly beautiful bird (even allowing for my fondness for all swift species). I have been at their nesting sites in caves on the Algarve and had them flying only 2 feet above my head. Much larger than commons and look falcon-like at a distance.
I don't think we can associate any weather events with the current bird.
Photo below is a shot I took last summer.

Attachments

• AlpineSwiftAlbufeiraJune09.JPG
    AlpineSwiftAlbufeiraJune09.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Great news about the Alpine swift - I'll be keeping my eye's peeled

I saw about 4-6 Long tailed tits moving around the bushes in the small field back of smarthomes unit Finbar Ind Est. on Monday

Finally have a Colared Dove (pretty sure thats what is) walking around my garden all day. I have often seen them in nextdoors garden in the summer. Just saw one different dark brownish with little woodland green bird today with a Greenfinch and could clearly see a noticeably smaller bird though much stouter. I also had over 20 Goldfinches and dozens of Redpolls still and some very lovely coloured female Chaffinches about. I have one lovely Dunnock the size of the biggest male Sparrows. He doesnt really creep through trees like other Dunnocks so maybe something else.

Attachments

• Colared Dove 015.jpg
    Colared Dove 015.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Colared Dove 007.jpg
    Colared Dove 007.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Colared Dove 008.jpg
    Colared Dove 008.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 43
Grey Heron doing his rounds again this evening over the Loakers Finnbar est. heading north about 6.30/40 and then back towards Black Rock half an hour later 7.00/7.10

No more sign of Mr&Mrs Bullfinch (this week)but saw a green finch top of tree (not singing) last sunday ! also a Pheasant roosting in a Fir type tree (small field behind Smarthomes Unit)

Ring Billed Gull

A few record shots of the adult Ring Billed Gull that was discoved by EL at Dundalk Docks today around lunchtime.
I caught up with it later near "The Big Bridge" (Fairgreen). Quality of shots not as good as they should be - I unfortunately forgot to take the camera adapter with me.

Attachments

• RingBillGullDundalkMarch10004.JPG
    RingBillGullDundalkMarch10004.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 53
  • RingBillGullDundalkMarch10003.JPG
    RingBillGullDundalkMarch10003.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 46
  • RingBillGullDundalkMarch10001.JPG
    RingBillGullDundalkMarch10001.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 53
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back