• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo or RRS (1 Viewer)

pimpelmees

with tripod is the best , i hear several reports on gitzo tripods that has faults.

Who has a realy right stuff tripod (TVC 34L ? or the 33 ) and are they better than gitzo ?

with tripod is the best , i hear several reports on gitzo tripods that has faults.

Who has a realy right stuff tripod (TVC 34L ? or the 33 ) and are they better than gitzo ?

I've not heard many stories of Gitzo tripods with faults. Maybe the occasional unit has a problem, but in my experience the engineering/design is excellent (smooth operation, well damped). My only gripe was with the older models with rotating legs--made them slow and finicky to deploy. That said, although I can't justify spending on RRS since I already own other good tripods, based on my few experiences and their product literature (and my expectations based on experiences with many of their other products), it seems they are even better engineered. Before RRS started making their own tripods, they only endorsed/sold Gitzo. The RRS tripods were designed expressly to better the Gitzo designs. They sure are pricey.

--AP

I think it depends on personal choice. I have only ever played with 1 RRS tripod and it was a very nice piece of kit. However I bought a Gitzo GT 3530LS and a Gitzo GT 2531 (both new) for roughly the same money. Was the RRS a better tripod, possibly, was it twice as good - absolutely not.
These tripods were bought new in the UK, if I lived in the US (were Gitzos are more expensive) I would consider RRS, as they seem to be fine products, just too expensive by the time you get them to the UK.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back