• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular advice for a novice (1 Viewer)

Maria99t

Hi
I'm looking at purchasing my first pair of binoculars. I'm not particularly a birdwatcher more of a walker and nature watcher.
I have done a little bit of reading around but there are so many binoculars out there!
I've come up with a list of specs I'd like:
Close focus small as possible as I like looking at wee things as well.
Suitable for glasses wearer
Lightweight/small
Budget: £100-200. Will go up to £250 at a push. I prefer to buy quality items that will last so I'm expecting to keep these for 10-20 years. I'm not an enthusiast so I won't be looking to upgrade models all the time.
Waterproof and clumsy proof |^|
I think 8x32 would be good for my needs??

I also like to buy from small independent type stores so anyone have any advice on reliable places to buy (UK)? Can be online or in person.
I'm off to an RSPB reserve today to have a look-see at their range to get a feel for different types (and fit in nice walk too).

Thanks for any advice you can give
Maria

Hi Maria. Welcome to BirdForum. Hopefully you'll get some decent replies to your nice dilemma.

A friend of was in your position recently. He ended up going to Carmarthen Cameras (they have a really good reputation in this neck of the woods and a decent selection to try out) and tested a few in his price bracket. He bought a pair of Vanguard Endeavour 10x42.

I think inFocus have regular opportunities to try and buy optics at the London Wetlands Centre. I'll try and find Pete's thread as this might be a decent starting point for you.

Rich

My two suggestions... Opticron Discovery 8x32 or Vortex Diamondback 8x32. The Disco has better close focus and greater eye relief, plus is smaller and lighter. The Diamondback has a wider field of view, more 'rugged' handling, better light transmission and an unconditional lifetime warranty (clumsy proof!).

However, what I and others think/suggest could be completely wrong for you, so you're definitely doing the right thing by going to try some out! Binoculars are very personal and everyone's taste is different, so try before you buy! Good luck.

Maria,

The others have made some good suggestions and I might add in the Nikon Prostaff 7 8x30. If you get a chance you should have a look at a couple of £200+ models as well like the Opticron Traveller Mg Black 6 or 8x32, the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 (Optcron Traveller ED) which might be a safer bet with longevity in mind. Those two Opticrons are made in Japan and have a 30 year warranty.

David

This may be a bit out of your budget, but if you really are interested in casual use and a light/compact binocular at 8x zoom, check out the Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 binocular. Price is 230 GBP. I just picked these up and they are fantastic. Close focus is 6.25 feet. You can find closer focus bins, but this is pretty good.

edit:

Other advice--look through a bunch of binoculars before picking one. Maybe not as relevant for a smaller purchase, but if you can, try some out before picking what you want.

Last edited:
I would agree with the 8x32 options, but if 6' if not close enough,
consider the pentax papillio with its 12" closer focus.
The papillio much better with bugs, blooms, little things
but you lose some with more distant objects.

edj

Thank you all for your advice. I tried some at the RSPB and got some advice on what to look for and how to try them out.
Viking vistron (really compact and good close focus) and RSPB WPG (wide FOV) both 8x32 were the ones within budget that fit my criteria.

I plan on trying some more (like the ones suggested) at a few shops in London.

Does anyone know shops in and around London/Southeast with a good range to try?

Can I ask if it's worth spending a bit more to get ED glass?

Maria

'Maybe not as relevant for a smaller purchase'
I realise in the world of binos and scopes £200 is a relatively modest budget but for me it's quite a lot to spend on a single item. I wouldn't spend this much on a pair of shoes or a coat without trying it out first... ;)

Maria,

A number of manufacturers have dealer locator maps. Opticron's is just one example.
http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/dealer_events_map.html

The ED question is really only one you can answer yourself. Different optical designs do vary in the level of colour fringing, and while the addition of ED glass to a design will normally reduce it, how much will depend on which ED glass they use and the skill of the optical engineer. At the cheaper end of the spectrum the benefits can be quite modest. However the biggest variable is the user. Some seem quite oblivious to even severe colour fringing and others quite intolerant of even the slightest hint. Most will find some towards the edge of the view of most models in high contrast situations. If it encroaches towards the middle of the view then look for a more acceptable model.

David

Hi,

with the focus on walking and watching little stuff I would strongly recommend to try the Papilio series - preferably the 6.5x24 which is the better option in my opinion although the 8.5x21 is by no means bad.

It's also on the lower end of the budget.

PS: ED glass or not is not the question at that budget - phase coated is a must have. If you can stretch the budget to 250, a Monarch 7 8x30 off amazon is also an option.

Joachim

Last edited:
Hi,

with the focus on walking and watching little stuff I would strongly recommend to try the Papilio series - preferably the 6.5x24 which is the better option in my opinion although the 8.5x21 is by no means bad.

It's also on the lower end of the budget, Microglobe ( www.microglobe.co.uk, 3 Galen Place (off Bury Place) London WC1A 2JR) has it for 104 quid - and quite a lot of other bins if those don't fit...

PS: ED glass or not is not the question at that budget - phase coated is a must have. If you can stretch the budget to 250, a Monarch 7 8x30 off amazon is also an option.

Joachim

Monarch 7 is a very good glass for the money, and 250 GBP seems to be a decent price.

My daughter has a pair, and is well pleased with them.

'Maybe not as relevant for a smaller purchase'
I realise in the world of binos and scopes £200 is a relatively modest budget but for me it's quite a lot to spend on a single item. I wouldn't spend this much on a pair of shoes or a coat without trying it out first... ;)

I only mention it because of the tendency for information overload to cloud the sensible judgment of many who come seeking advice. Lots of opinions, data, facts, hype to sort through--it can give the illusion of being a lot of information, but it all pales in comparison to actually using the optic for a while in relevant conditions.

maria99t,
It is, considering your budget also worth wile to look at and look through the Kite 8x30, with large field of view and a little more than 1 meter close focus.
Gijs van Ginkel

Maria,

Since you wear spectacles/glasses, this could be critical.

You need to try binoculars for eye relief, but this not as easy as one might think. In my experience this is because different makes/brands state eye relief as different measures without necessarily stating what they use. In some cases, it seems that they measure the distance, one way or another, and in others they quote a calculated figure but whether or not this corresponds to reality is beyond me.

Opticron apparently measure the eye relief as being the axial distance from the plane of the eyepiece rim to the exit pupil, which may be termed the available eye relief. Many of their binoculars have long eye relief and so are more likely to work for you than some others.

From testing with Swarovski binoculars I have found that I need an available eye relief of 15mm.

Technically eye relief should be the axial distance from the apex of the ocular to the exit pupil. If you measure the recess from the edge of the rim to the apex of the ocular. The difference should be the available eye relief.

You will need to lower or raise the eyecups so that you see the whole view with no blackouts. I find that I may need a long time using the bins to satisfy safe that I can get them to work properly and comfortably for me.

As stated above, the London Wetlands events may be a good source as may be Feathers in Sussex if you can get there without too much trouble.

These guys will sort you out. http://www.feathersoptics.co.uk if you can get to Sussex all the better. If not give them a call, they are really nice people and very easy to deal with. They will give you unbiased suggestions and recommendations. If you asked my opinion the Opticron Traveller BGA ED 8x30s would be perfect, if you could stretch the budget a bit🙂

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back