• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Return to Iran, the Enchantment Continues. (1 Viewer)

Just superb trip reporting!

The aggravating thing is that there is almost certainly no one in the Iranian government who has any understanding that an environment that allows for some 870 Wood Sandpipers to assemble is a valuable resource that is well worth protecting and preserving.
Too bad the Ayatollah was not a birder.

Except the Iran-Iraq war was started by Iraq with an invasion of Khūzestān, the only Iranian province with Iraq Babbler and Basra Reed Warbler ...we could argue that it was Iraq wishing to hog the exclusivity of the two as endemics, but given Saddam also drained the Mesopotamian marshes (heartland of the two species) to screw the Marsh Arabs, I don't think these incidental birds were too close to his heart.

Wise men say never let the truth get in the way of a good story. I say, fair enough, but never let ignorance get in the way of a good story either!

Seems like Saddam was the psychotic list defender instead - thanks for the clarification Jos!

Cheers
Mike

25 April. Damavand to Tehran

Last day of the trip. With everything essentially seen, I basically mellowed out today, taking a short morning walk in the gullies south of Reynah (three White-throated Robins, a pair of Persian Wheatears, one Turkenistan Shrike), then retiring to write up my notes.

Took an afternoon bus to Tehran, wandered the streets for a while and stopped in the park, adding Ring-necked and Alexandrine Parakeets (species number 259 and 260 for the trip), then headed for the airport late evening.

26 April.

4.40 a.m. departure from Tehran. Again a four-hour flight to Minsk, a one-hour transfer and then back to Vilnius, home by 9.00 a.m. local time. Trip over.

1. Decidedly dodgy picture of Black-headed Penduline Tit
2. Rather better of Radde's Accentor
3. Local Yellow Wagtail

Attachments

• Black-headed Penduline Tit ir 1.jpg
    Black-headed Penduline Tit ir 1.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Raddes Accentor ir 1.jpg
    Raddes Accentor ir 1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Yellow Wagtail ir 1.jpg
    Yellow Wagtail ir 1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 86
It all made a great read Jos, thanks for sharing your expériences on Birdforum, I'm sure I'm not the only one that's been green with envy on several occasions when reading your posts!

Richard

Hi Jos,

Must agree with Richard, your reports are always a great read, you should definitely consider publishing a book of your adventures. You write the reports in the "correct" way in that it is not just about the birds, but also the other incidents and the people involved.

Thank you again.

Ian

Hi Jos,

Must agree with Richard, your reports are always a great read, you should definitely consider publishing a book of your adventures. You write the reports in the "correct" way in that it is not just about the birds, but also the other incidents and the people involved.

Thank you again.

Ian

Urging Jos to do that already.............hopefully its work in progress for one day, but I guess there are many more chaptors to be potentially enjoyed yet. Maybe for when he puts his feet up when he's an old(er) man!;)

Urging Jos to do that already.............hopefully its work in progress for one day, but I guess there are many more chaptors to be potentially enjoyed yet. Maybe for when he puts his feet up when he's an old(er) man!;)

If it is during my lifetime and it just comes out as an eBook or whatever you call those modern things readable only by Kindle, I would definitely buy said device, apparent technophobe though I am!

Great read again Josh, many thanks for sharing, I wouuld happily buy your book if indeed you decided to put your stories in print, and I guess a destination on many would be travellers list.

...you should definitely consider publishing a book of your adventures. .

Urging Jos to do that already.............hopefully its work in progress for one day

If it is during my lifetime and it just comes out as an eBook or whatever you call those modern things readable only by Kindle, I would definitely buy said device...

I wouuld happily buy your book if indeed you decided to put your stories in print,....

Many thanks all.

I can share the secret that I have begun to put it all together, have sorted out a structure and have even done a couple of chapters already ...but, heck, I haven't even got to the 20th Century yet ...so I can confidently predict it will be a good couple of years before I even approach the finishing line :)

....but I am writing every week ...

And to round off the Iran report, some random statistics that currently clog up the back of my notebook ...

Days in Iran: 21
Number of species seen: 260
Number of new species: 3

Approx distance travelled within Iran: 6275 km (299 km/day)
• approx. distance hitchhiked: 2800 km
• approx. distance by public transport: 3475 km

Expenditure in Iran: 250 euro (11 euro/day)
• accommodation: 119 euro (five nights free camping, one night on train)
• transport (bus, train, savari): 87 euro
• food: 15 euro
• drink (primarily milk, 29 litres): 19 euro

Number of road accidents seen: two pedestrians killed (Shiraz and Tehran), one head-on collision between coach and truck, three overturned trucks, several minor incidents with cars.

Last edited:
And to round off the Iran report, some random statistics that currently clog up the back of my notebook ...

Days in Iran: 21
Number of species seen: 260
Number of new species: 3

Approx distance travelled within Iran: 6275 km (299 km/day)
• approx. distance hitchhiked: 2800 km
• approx. distance by public transport: 3475 km

Expenditure in Iran: 250 euro (11 euro/day)
• accommodation: 119 euro (five nights free camping, one night on train)
• transport (bus, train, savari): 87 euro
• food: 15 euro
• drink (primarily milk, 29 litres): 19 euro

Number of road accidents seen: two pedestrians killed (Shiraz and Tehran), one head-on collision between coach and truck, three overturned trucks, several minor incidents with cars.

......and the armed hold up!!

Have you thought of a title for your book Jos? What about "Mad blogs and Englishmen" (except I have a feeling you are a Welsh lad??), which of course makes that suggestion a non-starter.

Last edited:
Many thanks all.

I can share the secret that I have begun to put it all together, have sorted out a structure and have even done a couple of chapters already ...but, heck, I haven't even got to the 20th Century yet ...so I can confidently predict it will be a good couple of years before I even approach the finishing line :)

....but I am writing every week ...

I will buy it when it's published. Great thread and a pleasure to read.

Or "The Mad Sod's an Englishman"....... ;)

Yep, I like that too :t:

Full report with added photos now on my WEBSITE too if anybody interested.

And a little sting in the tail to this trip to Iran - if anybody fancies following in my footsteps to this amazing country and they happen to hold a British passport ... you can't go! Wasn't my fault honest ;) but British are now banned from independent travel to Iran!!!

The new rule actually came into effect about a month before my trip, but as I already had my visa they allowed me to enter without issue - I later heard my visa was the very last successful British application with the agency I use.

This has been the case for over 30 years for Americans, but even when diplomatic relations hit there worst (eg when the two countries shut down their embassies), getting a visa was 'fairly' easy for British passport holders. Quite why it has happened now is baffling and nobody seems to know why, relations are better than ever and the country is truly opening up.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back