• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's Nethy Bridge Vacation May/June 2014 (1 Viewer)

A very pleasant 11 hour drive that was. Added another mammal species on the way home - Badger plus a couple of bird species:

105. Jay
106. Tawny Owl

Gotta love the Highway Agency. Everything smooth through Scotland and the North of England. Those expensive electronic road signs giving extremely useful information such as:

Don't Drink And Drive - plainly good advice.
Always Wear A Seat Belt - saves lots of lives each year
Think Bike - Think Biker - ok I've had to swerve to avoid some Valentino Rossi wannabes in Mid Wales but they tend to be in the minority.
Drugs And Alcohol Do Not Mix With Driving- similar to previous but still good advice.
Lights Will Be Turned Off Between 12 And 5AM - environmentally sound
Workforce Working At The Side Of The Road - where?

One snippet of info. that was omitted that may also have been of use to travellers was; and with hindsight where could they have possibly fitted it in within the last 250 miles! was - M6 CLOSED SOUTHBOUND Oh fiddly dee or words to that effect came out of the Verso. Walsall is a delightful place at midnight and we had ample time to see it given the volume of diverted traffic.

My love of the Highway Agency was compounded when finally getting back onto a motorway, albeit the M42, a new sign said junction with M5 South closed. Great, another lengthy diversion but at least they signposted it this time. Joining the M5 without any such closure made me laugh in exasperation. Further to hammer home this new found infatuation was about 10-20 miles later a sign saying M5 South closed after junction 7 or 8(I forget which one exactly). Fortunately my instinct was right, and I didn't look for a route cross country via Worcester, and I drove straight on. No road closure!!! What are these clowns on? Perhaps there should be a sign?:

Don't Operate Electronic Road Signs Under The Influence Of Drugs And Alcohol

Rant over. Got home at around 2 a.m. Got to sleep at around 3 a.m once effects of Pro Plus had sufficiently worn off and my 3 year old got up at 7 a.m. Will need to shoot some people on Call of Duty to relax. All of whom I suspect, will be Highway Agency Sign Operators:-O . Also need to plan next years Scottish trip so, for the first time, flight schedules will need to be looked at8-P

Rich

A very pleasant 11 hour drive that was. Added another mammal species on the way home - Badger plus a couple of bird species:

105. Jay
106. Tawny Owl

Gotta love the Highway Agency. Everything smooth through Scotland and the North of England. Those expensive electronic road signs giving extremely useful information such as:

Don't Drink And Drive - plainly good advice.
Always Wear A Seat Belt - saves lots of lives each year
Think Bike - Think Biker - ok I've had to swerve to avoid some Valentino Rossi wannabes in Mid Wales but they tend to be in the minority.
Drugs And Alcohol Do Not Mix With Driving- similar to previous but still good advice.
Lights Will Be Turned Off Between 12 And 5AM - environmentally sound
Workforce Working At The Side Of The Road - where?

One snippet of info. that was omitted that may also have been of use to travellers was; and with hindsight where could they have possibly fitted it in within the last 250 miles! was - M6 CLOSED SOUTHBOUND Oh fiddly dee or words to that effect came out of the Verso. Walsall is a delightful place at midnight and we had ample time to see it given the volume of diverted traffic.

My love of the Highway Agency was compounded when finally getting back onto a motorway, albeit the M42, a new sign said junction with M5 South closed. Great, another lengthy diversion but at least they signposted it this time. Joining the M5 without any such closure made me laugh in exasperation. Further to hammer home this new found infatuation was about 10-20 miles later a sign saying M5 South closed after junction 7 or 8(I forget which one exactly). Fortunately my instinct was right, and I didn't look for a route cross country via Worcester, and I drove straight on. No road closure!!! What are these clowns on? Perhaps there should be a sign?:

Don't Operate Electronic Road Signs Under The Influence Of Drugs And Alcohol

Rant over. Got home at around 2 a.m. Got to sleep at around 3 a.m once effects of Pro Plus had sufficiently worn off and my 3 year old got up at 7 a.m. Will need to shoot some people on Call of Duty to relax. All of whom I suspect, will be Highway Agency Sign Operators:-O . Also need to plan next years Scottish trip so, for the first time, flight schedules will need to be looked at8-P

Rich

We could come up with a few new electronic road sign messages I reckon:

Don't Drink and Drive - you'll spill it!
Caravan owner - get rid of it!
Slow lorries for 200 miles

The floor is open.....

John

We could come up with a few new electronic road sign messages I reckon:

Don't Drink and Drive - you'll spill it!
Caravan owner - get rid of it!
Slow lorries for 200 miles

The floor is open.....

John

Didn't think you you took any notice of instructions John;). Too early in the morning for such a low blow? I'm blaming delirium|=o|

Rich

With these at least you can tell what they are I suppose:

Attachments

• IMG_5070.JPG
    IMG_5070.JPG
    475.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5078.JPG
    IMG_5078.JPG
    555.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5098.JPG
    IMG_5098.JPG
    631.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5115.JPG
    IMG_5115.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5217.JPG
    IMG_5217.JPG
    324.9 KB · Views: 38
Out of Gairloch for Grey and Common Seals. Bloody hard to get a steady shot on a moving boat.

Attachments

• IMG_5154.JPG
    IMG_5154.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5156.JPG
    IMG_5156.JPG
    578 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5172.JPG
    IMG_5172.JPG
    615.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5174.JPG
    IMG_5174.JPG
    540.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5175.JPG
    IMG_5175.JPG
    560.4 KB · Views: 17
Poor Osprey pics from The Findhorn:

Attachments

• IMG_5372.JPG
    IMG_5372.JPG
    304.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5374.JPG
    IMG_5374.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5375.JPG
    IMG_5375.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 19
I'll add a few more tomorrow but just one more for today. If you were to drop the soap at this bath-time you'd be ill advised to pick it up;)

Attachments

• IMG_5308.JPG
    IMG_5308.JPG
    485.1 KB · Views: 57
Well done with the photos Rich.So much better than my attempts.Glad to read you all got back to Wales,with relative ease...!

Really enjoyed reading your trip report Clark, nice to see my area written up so well. I'm off to Handa tomorrow (Wednesday) so hoping for good weather. Thanks once again for the good read!

Good Birding, Dave

Really enjoyed reading your trip report Clark, nice to see my area written up so well. I'm off to Handa tomorrow (Wednesday) so hoping for good weather. Thanks once again for the good read!

Good Birding, Dave

Cheers Dave. Snow Bunting was on the West Side a bit further anti-clockwise from the stack. Puffins were sat on the stack itself. Good luck for tomorrow.

Rich

Last edited:
Next few are from Handa and just to whet your appetite Dave:

Attachments

• IMG_5238.JPG
    IMG_5238.JPG
    529 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5239.JPG
    IMG_5239.JPG
    350 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5240.JPG
    IMG_5240.JPG
    325.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5246.JPG
    IMG_5246.JPG
    343.5 KB · Views: 20
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back