• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK - Help Please - Have you seen one of these ? (1 Viewer)

BoBTaG Has just referenced this post again in another beginners thread - So I have done the decent thing and bought this to the top of the pile AGAIN ;)

Please don't thank me , its not necessary ;)

Si

Oh well, time for me to make comment I guess . . .

Just read the thread, interesting and relevant I reckon. As someone said, this wonderful thing called BF is for everyone, but maybe a little fine tuning wouldn't hurt . . . and these things are totally up for discussion.

On the opening page of bird id Q and A's, at this exact instant, a quick glance at the headings shows (out of about 25 threads), based on the heading;
6 UK based, 5 US based, 3 Rest of World and 8 Could-Be-Anywhere's

So those 8 immediately not clever (although sometimes they can be sorted by the species mentioned eg mistle/song thrush). And maybe we should think about a Europe/US/Other split also.
(Obviously I don't have the time so I'm not going to open them all up to analyse whether they are basic or frontiers type issues . . . but maybe someone else will . . .;))

Some further points-
1)There are going to be those which initially will fall into both- eg 'Pipit inland in October' could turn out very interesting . . . .
2)The thread on a silhouetted passerine at the Gyr Falcon last year (Robin/Wheatear/Blackred/Bald Eagle) was both popular and highly amusing. You'd miss out ones like those Si . . .
3)A poor or unclear photo of a commoner bird often requires quite a bit of discussion from the experts to sort out . . .
4)A recent novice type question from UAE related to Collared Pratincole. Unless we do have a rest of world category, this would presumably go in the basic section. I learnt a lot trying to answer this, but it isn't a 'novice' topic- rest of world would be good.
5)Will people actually know where to post?- I think someone will have to spend a lot of time shifting posts. . . .

And on posting replies- (no matter if the original poster is lazy/doesn't have a fieldguide/is otherwise stumped), it should be taboo for responder (expert or otherwise) to reply with single line answer giving species name. In the first case giving hints is a nice idea (eg take a look at the Chats. Note your bird has a distinct white eyestripe and orangey chin . . . ) Secondly, when stating what it is REASONS should be given, help so that not just the original poster but OTHERS reading the thread can learn and take away from the thread.
eg recent Twite Id thread- some just posted yes it's a twite. But others gave reasons:t:

Si brought the points up, and yes, some may show impatience at having to wade through posts which are strightforward id's (for those in the know admittedly) to find those requiring more skill and so they can push themselves and learn at THEIR level, rather than at a lower levels. Another reason why this should be considered, given the volume of use this section gets-
Note the example above- Collared Pratincole- this will probably be lost now as no-one expert enough to differentiate (or use internet resources to find out) winter plumaged Collared and Oriental has posted (if it can be done of course;) This is now 4 PAGES down the list of q and a's, and any World or S hemisphere birders who could resolve this are hardly likely to come across it and give their assistance now . . .

This touches on another aspect of this; resolving of id threads, which I think is very important.
Wouldn't some kind of tick box for successful id be useful on the main page (eg wherethe stars go) (eg Y for success, X or ? for unresolved or consensus not reached) eg all the bunting ones Jane was bringing up elsewhere recently . . . new frontiersy type people can always trawl through these unresolved ones whenever they want either for the feather analysis type ones or the world mystery birds from wherever.

Some thoughts for this (good-humoured) debate . .

Last edited:
5)Will people actually know where to post?- I think someone will have to spend a lot of time shifting posts. . . .

Dancerman ;) , long time no speak ! Hope you are well

I finally waded through your well reasoned response , the immediate one I wanted to answer was point 5 , repeated above

My first objective was to target those people who didn't know where to post (!)

i.e the "I have no idea what this is" or Beginner category - this fits 75% of postings minimum ! - this could further be reduced to the Americas , Europe and Asia etc

The other category would be as you say , ID Frontiers or Advanced , the poster knows its a Lesser Black Backed Gull , but wants to discuss the finer points of moult strategy ! etc

I think this would work very well , Of course there will be overlap , The internet is a wonderful tool for the inept to not quite master ;) , and the biggest POST HERE signs will be ignored at regular intervals ! but we can hope with time, that this will become less and less .........

Cheers and ATB

Si

This is a fascinating thread...

I personally don't have a problem with anyone posting pics for ID even if the species may seem really easy to most birders. It's all part of the fun and I really like this part of the forum even when I can't help the OP.

FWIW, I left another forum before coming here which helped British expats. As far as online bile and invective go, that forum may well have invented it! It would seem that there are no holds barred there when it comes to personal abuse and it doesn't reflect well on the image of British expats in general. Most neutral third parties would be pretty shocked! So far, this forum has struck me as a far more civilised place!

Sorry, not looking for brownie points for sucking up, lol!

FWIW, I left another forum before coming here which helped British expats. As far as online bile and invective go, that forum may well have invented it! It would seem that there are no holds barred there when it comes to personal abuse and it doesn't reflect well on the image of British expats in general. Most neutral third parties would be pretty shocked! So far, this forum has struck me as a far more civilised place!

Sorry, not looking for brownie points for sucking up, lol!

%^&*(( Chinchilla , why dont you ^%$££$%$^ and then ^&*()))* and afterwards you can ^%$$£

So there

;)

Si

Dancerman ;) , long time no speak ! Hope you are well

I finally waded through your well reasoned response , the immediate one I wanted to answer was point 5 , repeated above

My first objective was to target those people who didn't know where to post (!)

i.e the "I have no idea what this is" or Beginner category - this fits 75% of postings minimum ! - this could further be reduced to the Americas , Europe and Asia etc

I am as well as ever, cheers for your concern, sometimes I have to keep off these forums for a while when I begin to lay awake at night replying to threads in my head or my girlfriend serves me a computer ban. I notice you don't change tho . . . lol!

Anyway we digress . . . (actually I notice you've done that already, and on your own thread too . . tut tut! ;))

I looked back at some threads and I'd guess that for me the issue why I don't look at this q and a forum much anymore is the vast number of threads from other parts of the world, as well as many being simply a poster not having identified an obvious candidate for themselves.
I'm not sure 75% in the uk are totally beginners queries, although there certainly are lots more what's this duck? etc (esp from N America?) than a year ago (IMO). (Although I'll have a go at some US ones at times -you always learn if you push yourself into less familiar territory) This forum must be one of the most popular for new threads starting, but a lot of threads naturally end after 3 or 4 posts when the obvious id has been sorted (whether uk, us or world). Those more interesting/cutting edge get lost in the rest . . . CLUTTERED could well be the word. And not sure exactly where the 'is this a Marsh tit?/Which Redpoll is this' would go. Not sure if Jane is right that a simple header would always help- there's just too many threads to swallow them up. You come back after going offline for a week or two and you would never find any interesting id discussions that ended a week ago.

Maybe another way would be to sort the threads after, say 24 hours- ie make an archive (but an active one), so that all the passerines get lumped, all the gulls etc . . .

And finally (It's starting to become an essay again, I know!) in additions to my earlier suggestions, I know any feather by feather minutae discussions could well take place in 'birds and birding', but maybe one solution would be to make room for a subforum in eg the 'rare birds' section, for the discussion of uk rares and scarces issues and id's, which could well leave the birding q and a section open for complete beginners and those less experienced birders wanting help with birds seen whilst out and about. (And whilst we're at it maybe a members-only section for music-lovin', pasty twitching twitcher types to diss each other and everyone else whilst causing no further disturbance to anyone else, but that's another topic ;))

'Birding Fontiers' may well exist already, but surely BF would want there to be adequate provision and a place for those who want to discuss such matters here on BF itself . . . what do we think?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back