• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice-Pentax DCF SP or Leupold Golden Ring 10 x 42? (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I have very much enjoyed reading all the posts over the last sever days and
I decide to join the community.

So, several months ago my Vortex Broadwing 10 x42 binoculars were stolen
while they were sitting in my car after a long hike. Now I need a brand new
10 x42 binocular!

After doing extensive research and reading MANY reviews and user's opinions,
I have narrowed my choices down to.....

1. Pentax DCF SP 10 x 43
2. Leupold Golden Ring 10 x 42

3. Vortex Razor 10 x 42

I am an eyeglass wearer, so eye relief is VERY important, along with VERY
comfortable and quality eye cups.

Which if these 3 would have the more beefier barrels and a pleasant feel in
your hands and built VERY solid?

I have read that the Leupold has a weird vinyl like feel and it slippery.

I would appreciate your advice VERY much!

Michael

My nephew has the SP, and I have a new pair of GR HD's, both in 10x42. The SP is great, the GR HD is fantastic, and I give it the slight edge. Very rugged, very well built, superb glass, silky smooth focus, and Leupold service/warranty. The only negative for some is they are heavy, but I find that an advantage also. I have no problem with the rubber armor of the GR.

My nephew has the SP, and I have a new pair of GR HD's, both in 10x42. The SP is great, the GR HD is fantastic, and I give it the slight edge. Very rugged, very well built, superb glass, silky smooth focus, and Leupold service/warranty. The only negative for some is they are heavy, but I find that an advantage also. I have no problem with the rubber armor of the GR.

I agree with jgraider. I own the 10 x 43 Pentax SP and the 8 x 42 Leupold HD Gold Ring. The Pentax is a very nice binocular but does not in my experience compare either optically or mechanically to the Leupold. The Leupold is noticeably heavier which steadies the view but makes all day in the field use a challenge if you use a regular neckstrap. The rubber armor on both is excellent and I have no problem with the Leupold's armor (and I have come to like the Leupold's somewhat unusual brown color).

thanks

Thanks for your thoughts.....

How do you like the eye cups on the Leupold? Are they comfortable and
of top quality and do they stay in place?

I have read some comments that they are a bit sloppy.

Thanks

Thanks for your thoughts.....

How do you like the eye cups on the Leupold? Are they comfortable and
of top quality and do they stay in place?

I have read some comments that they are a bit sloppy.

Thanks

The Leupold eyecups are larger than some others (which my glasses wearing friends tell me is a plus) appear to be stoutly made and work well. The best eyecups I have used for comfort and build quality are on the two Leica BA series binoculars I still own but the eyecups on the Leupolds are excellent and eminently serviceable.

The eye cups on the Leupold fit me better than any bino I can remember using including my favorite Leica Trinovid.

thanks

Thanks all.....

This will be a tough decision trying to decide between the Leupold Golden Ring
10 x 42, Pentax DCF SP 10 x 43 and Vortex Razor 10 x 42.

They should be arriving to me in a few days and I will post my comments and
thoughts and which one I ultimately pick to purchase.

Optically, I am sure they are very close. Its a matter of getting them in my
hands to test the feel and feel, the balance and the general ergonomics of
each of them.

I don't think I am going out on a limb when I say I'll be very surprised if you don't like the optics of the Leupold, easily. Ergonomics are subjective.

Well, the made in the usa thing is all relative. Lots of made in the usa things are just assembled in the USA.

But the Pentax is made in Japan, SP and ED versions. If that helps. Even the parts are made in japan in that case.

a quick google found that you will not find any scope made that has all of its components fabricated in the USA.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-241599.html

Last edited:
For Leupold the housing and the assmeble are "made in the USA" with parts of foreign manufacture.

Meopta (a Czech company with a good reputation) is bring out a new range the Meoview that's also assembled in the USA.

For Leupold the housing and the assmeble are "made in the USA" with parts of foreign manufacture.

Meopta (a Czech company with a good reputation) is bring out a new range the Meoview that's also assembled in the USA.

Are you referring to their new line, Meopro...or are they adding a third line called Meoview? Thanks.

That's the second line, the Meoview, priced below the first line, the Meostar.

We already have a thread or post on it from the SHOT Show 2010.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back