• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

15 power bino for under $1,000 US (1 Viewer)

I have never owned a pair of binos at a magnification greater than 8. I would like to get a pair at 15 power that I can carry in the field without hiring a porter. Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

Hi aja frisco,
The best quality 15x that is available currently imo is the Docter 15x60, from SWFA, here, for $ 1100:
http://swfa.com/Docter-15x60-Nobilem-Binocular-P8927.aspx
This is a bulletproof glass with superb optics. However, it does weigh in at 53 oz, not the 38 oz the ad says.
A lighter and much less heavy alternative, with superior performance while hand held, is the Canon15x50 IS, an image stabilized glass, only 40oz, fully waterproof and cheaper at about $950 here:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Stabilization-Weather-Binoculars-Batteries/dp/B00006I53P

Hi - I have a set of these, which I bought when the price was reduced:Minox 15x58 and the views are rather good. I'm not sure if you can get them anymore.

Minox do have another 15x, but I am not sure about how good they are: Minox 15x56

The Docter 15x60 is supposed to be quite good, but is heavy. You could also try looking at Cloudynights and check the binocular reviews/posts as 15x is also heading into astro use.

Good luck

Andrew

Thanks to you both Etudiant and Mercedes. The binoculars you've mentioned all seem like great choices, although the weight seems heavy on the older Minox--and I'm curious how the Doctor mis-weighs their set by 15 oz. I REALLY appreciate the leads to the other websites. I can easily lose a night just surfing those sites. Thanks again!

You asked about 15x I know, but even 12x would be a big step over what you're used to, and brings down the physical size appreciably.

I bought, for $900, a good used Leica Trinovid BN 12x50. That is not a steal, but about the going rate. It weighs 40 oz, but is sleek and trim, has an incredibly wide field, excellent glare resistance, and what can I say, it feels like a Leica. Businesslike. Instrumental. 12x is still too much to hand hold to much advantage, although it is fun. As should be expected, shows a little more CA than 8x. I use it mostly for astronomy, and the quality of the star images is outstanding.
Ron

Last edited:
Ron, thanks for speaking up. The more I learn, the more I am inclined to agree that I should probably just step up to a 12x. I would love to go with a gold-standard mnfrer like Leika, Swarovski, Zeiss, et al but can't swing the cost. I'm a new guy to this and have no experience buying bins second hand--any advice from anyone on that? Thanks, aja

The 12x is not all that different from 10x. I had a pair and used it on a tripod the short while I had it. From 10x go to 15x, then jump to scope at 20x, the best spent money being the scope.

Hi aja,
From limited experience in buying on Ebay (about 50 binocs over 5 years), about 2/3rds of your purchases will really please.
The big problem with porros is that they are more easily misaligned than roofs, so you have to factor in the risk of a $100+ service in maybe 15% of the porros you get.
That said, my best glass ever was a used Docter Nobilem 12x50BGA from Ebay, superbly sharp and a joy to use. Worked great as a birding glass, at least for me. Finally replaced it with the Canon 10x42ISL, image stabilized is a huge step forward and you might look at that glass, it is close to your budget, fully waterproof and superbly bright.

Ron, thanks for speaking up. The more I learn, the more I am inclined to agree that I should probably just step up to a 12x. I would love to go with a gold-standard mnfrer like Leika, Swarovski, Zeiss, et al but can't swing the cost. I'm a new guy to this and have no experience buying bins second hand--any advice from anyone on that? Thanks, aja

hello Aja...^_^

maybe a Nikon 12x50 SE ?;) Its under 1000 and its gold standard..ehehehe

Another vote for the Nikon 12x50SE. 31.7 oz. weight compared to the Canon 15x50 41.6 oz. plus two AA batteries. To me the 12 SE doesn't seem to feel like it weighs that much. I had the 12SE and have tried the Canon 15x50, if you have long distance areas get the Canon.

If you really want 15x hand-held, the only game in town at a sub-1,000 budget is Canon IS 15x50. I got a pair some months ago, very happy with them. However, I reckon 12x isn´t such a "step-down", and I´ve had Canon IS 12x36 and been equally happy. Very light, usable binos. I´ve never seen a pair of Nikon SE 12x, but they must be sweet.

Enough choices to make Sophie's head spin. I sincerely appreciate all the input! I feel a LOT better informed than I was a week ago [although I've spent so much time surfing the web and following threads that I'll probably get pink slipped at work and my wife's convinced I'm having a cyber affair].

Well, Gents--here goes. Since I already have a Bushnell 7x26 Elite compact and a Zeiss 7x42 B Dialyt, my current thinking is to buy a Bushnell 10x42 Legend Ultra HD and a Canon 15x50 IS to round out my optical inventory. Anyone think I am really missing the boat?

Biggest problem is that it sounds like a buyer should actually handle the Canons to pick out a best individual match--difficult for a farm boy in Jackson County, IA [where a trip to Dubuque is a big day!]

The web site in Germany from the supplier of Docter Nobilem binocs is here:
http://docter-germany.com/en/Optics-AnalytikJenaAG-BranchEisfeld/Products/Binoculars__227/
It lists the weight of the 15x60 as 1550 grams, which is 54.7 oz.
I have no idea how SWFA calculated their number.
The glass has been upgraded to a magnesium body recently, but it is hard to believe that would cut the weight by over a pound.

Hi to all.
At first, excuse me for my poor english
During last month i compared some 15X binoculars, Zeiss Conquest 15x45, Nobilem 15x60 and Vortex kaibab 15x56. I've found that Kaibab is a good binoculars: less chromatic aberration respect the others, a good contrast in the center of the FOV, etc etc.
If you want to use google translate you can find my reviews here
http://www.binomania.it/binocoli/vortex_kaibab_15x56/vortex_kaibab_15x56.php
Best Regards from Italy
Piergiovanni

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back