• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who am I? (1 Viewer)

LzyPhotographer

I'm hoping for a Northern Harrier... am I close? Thanks in advance for your help - I am learning a ton from all of you.

Attachments

• nh1.jpg
    nh1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 231
  • nh2.jpg
    nh2.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 239
  • nh3.jpg
    nh3.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 220
Good one CJ!

For starters though, you won't get those large orange flank spots on even a subadult male Hen Harrier (no more than faint streaking, pure white on adult male), whereas Northern has them on even full adult males.

Juvenile Northerns are also much more orange colour, more like a juv Montagu's in colour tone (tho' not structure!) than a juv Hen.

Adult females are more difficult, but then, so are female American/Eurasian Wigeons difficult . . . (and female Green-winged/Common Teals probably impossible, but I suspect this split isn't justified!)

Michael

I must admit that although I posted the alternative name it doesn't look like any hen harrier I have seen.

Michael Frankis said:
Juvenile Northerns are also much more orange colour, more like a juv Montagu's in colour tone (tho' not structure!) than a juv Hen.

Michael
My query about criteria for a split was more of a general one,but anyway CJW has answered that!

The differences between Northern/Hen are very apparent in the field and as you say,particularly with juveniles.

Great, another first for me! Of course, it's not hard listing all these firsts, coz I've only been bird watching a short time. ;-) Guess my next mission is to find it again and get some better pictures.

Thanks for your input, it's all so very interesting!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back