• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit lesson needed (1 Viewer)

redshift

Toad Popper
You are being very kind to me so far.

Next conundrum: I believe that this is a Meadow Pipit, by virtue of the fact that it was (a) in a field (50m from the sea) and (b) it was in Norfolk. But if it were not for those two facts, how would I tell it apart from the other similar Pipits? I have pored over Bird Guide and RSPB Birds and don't feel I really grasp the issue too well!

Attachments

• pipts.jpg
    pipts.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 285
well I hate Pipits, they cause me no end of problems, but I've got to say I thought they were Rock.

Seem a bit greyer than Meadow and pale eye ring, stripe over eye. I await being told that I've made a monkey of myself. AGAIN

Yep - they are Rock pipits :)

They have a sort of oily look to them - there are no obvious bright mantle lines/braces and the streaking on the underparts is very diffuse. That stong, slightly upwards pointing blunt tipped blackish bill is a good feature too

Last edited:
Helen

its a little easier when you have a photo to study. In the field I struggle a bit. Its Meadow and Tree Pipit that do my head in.

Bit disappointed that Jane didn't mention the race of the bird!!

pduxon said:
Helen

its a little easier when you have a photo to study. In the field I struggle a bit. Its Meadow and Tree Pipit that do my head in.

Bit disappointed that Jane didn't mention the race of the bird!!

Paradoxically Pete they are way easier in the field since the calls are so distinctive.

Meadow pipit has a weedy and apologetic "psss psss psss"
Tree pipit has a loud buzzing "bzzzzzzzzz"
Rock Pipit sounds like an assertive Meadow Pipit "Fisst"

As regards race.. this is one of those not actually identifiable probably on plumage - if it was on a rocky shore on W.Scotland I'd say it was most probablypetrosus, since its in Norfolk, and in a field, the odds are more on littoralis, but there isn't any safe well to tell!

Jane Turner said:
Paradoxically Pete they are way easier in the field since the calls are so distinctive.

Meadow pipit has a weedy and apologetic "psss psss psss"
Tree pipit has a loud buzzing "bzzzzzzzzz"
Rock Pipit sounds like an assertive Meadow Pipit "Fisst"

I'm tone deaf they all sound the same to me!!!

I need to get someone with me to point out these "distinctive" calls for me, 'cos I'm useless! (Same with Marsh and Willow Tit... but that's another story.)

At the moment all my pipits are Meadow, 'cos I'm inland and it's winter... don't know how long I can keep this up though!

The striking pale edges to median coverts and greater coverts and the hint of a strong supercillium certainly point in the right direction for littoralis don't they? Wouldn't want to claim it in that plumage though ;)

Tree pipit sounds like a mobile phone on vibrate mode left on a large wooden table

Mipit sounds like a shy person trying to attract your attention by saying pssst while not waking a sleeping baby!

Jane Turner said:
Tree pipit sounds like a mobile phone on vibrate mode left on a large wooden table

Mipit sounds like a shy person trying to attract your attention by saying pssst while not waking a sleeping baby!
Up to now, I think mine were all trying not to wake the baby... I'll keep my ears open for the phone!

In a field 50m from the sea in Norfolk, it has to be littoralis - I doubt petrosus occurs in Norfolk at all other than a vagrant, as they're non-migratory and the nearest breeding ones are 150km away at Flamborough Head

Michael

pduxon said:
Its Meadow and Tree Pipit that do my head in.
Pete home in on the flanks. Meadow has heavy streaking on the flanks - especially the rear flanks; on Tree the heavy streaking is concentrated on the breast and gets pencil thin on the flanks. It's reliable on 99% of birds and by the time you come across one of the 1% you'll probably have their other subtle differences under your belt.

See here:

Meadow:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3930/password//sort/1/cat/all/page/2

Tree:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/13110/password//sort/1/cat/all/page/1

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back