• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Downy or Hairy Woodpecker? (1 Viewer)

lassa8

United States
I was sure that this was a downy woodpecker when I was pictures this morning, but when I got home and looked at the pictures I wasn't so sure anymore because the beak looks a lot longer than I remembered.

Attachments

• woodpecker1.jpg
    woodpecker1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 388
Glad you asked!

THe difference between a Downy and a Hairy is that the hairy is bigger overall, and has a bigger bill than the Downy.

To answer your question, that's a downy woodpecker you got there.

we have at least 3 of them where I live, although I think that one of those could actually be a Hairy. Check out my gallery to see what I think is a Hairy woodpecker, a few downies, and a bunch of red-bellies!

link to my gallery is below:

Dang Grousemore, our posts crossed!

We're the woodpecker experts.

I still have doubt on whether the Hairy Woodpecker in my gallery really is a Hairy woodpecker. I really can't tell, because it was snowing that day... one of the flakes could have been in the right place at the right time (to make the bill appear larger), and thus is aligned with the bill. Dang, haven't seen a Hairy since then...

Sorry, guys, gotta disagree with you and go with Hairy. Downy's bill is not only noticeably shorter but the very conspicuous tuft on the upper mandible shortens it even more. An easy rule of thumb: Downy's bill is less than half the overall length of the head itself. In Lassa's bird, which even though it looks like there's a bit of camera angle to deal with, the bill is clearly much longer than that.

Yeah, I noticed the bill too.

I retract my original ID, and switch to Hairy as well.

Katy Penland said:
Sorry, guys, gotta disagree with you and go with Hairy. Downy's bill is not only noticeably shorter but the very conspicuous tuft on the upper mandible shortens it even more. An easy rule of thumb: Downy's bill is less than half the overall length of the head itself. In Lassa's bird, which even though it looks like there's a bit of camera angle to deal with, the bill is clearly much longer than that.

Still not sure... even with the camera angle, I find that this bill seems very short! Moreover, I don't know if it's noise in the picture (or if I'm just hallucinating...), but it seems to have dark spots on external rectrices! Therefore, I would say that's a downy.

Naw, the bill is waay too long, especially for a Downy. and yes, you are hallucinating, just like me. Hell, i think i see nekkid birds flying around town...

Anyhow, the size of the bill (from this near-side-view angle) is very long, so it's not a Downy. Downy bills are roughly half the size of the heads.

Gaga said:
Still not sure... even with the camera angle, I find that this bill seems very short! Moreover, I don't know if it's noise in the picture (or if I'm just hallucinating...), but it seems to have dark spots on external rectrices! Therefore, I would say that's a downy.

If I'm looking at what I think you're looking at :), after enlarging the photo I'd say it's noise. Hard to really say with so much pixellation. The two black and two white alternating spots appear to be part of the tree bark, not dark spots on a larger white background.

In the field, Downy's bill looks very tiny, almost more like a pointy projection of the head rather than a bona fide bill, due to the upper mandible's tuft almost doing away with any forehead slope. Lassa's bird shows twice the amount of bill I've ever seen on a Downy and a definite delineation between forehead and bill.

Hey, Lassa, any chance of another angle of this guy?

Wah? Grousemore, the bill is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big for a Downy!

Fortunately, I have not seen a Hairy Woody where I live, but somehow, know one when I see one... [makes funny-frown face]... duhhhhhh....how much is dat doggy in da window.......?

I thought Downy at first, but I've changed my mind. The bird has its head turned slightly away from us, so the bill will be longer than it appears in the pic.

Jason

gthang said:
. duhhhhhh....how much is dat doggy in da window.......?
what?..the one with the waggly tail?
Seriously,I've seen both on numerous occasions in Florida,twice on the same tree and I am still with Downy;photographs can be deceiving though ;)

Grousemore said:
what?..the one with the waggly tail?
Seriously,I've seen both on numerous occasions in Florida,twice on the same tree and I am still with Downy;photographs can be deceiving though ;)
Don't I know it! I've seen both, but not often enough to have them off pat. Although I favour Hairy, one thing has me wondering: the bill base looks very fine - is that a pro Downy feature? There aren't many pictures of Hairy on the net, but they do seem to indicate that it has a thicker bill base. Or am I imagining that?

Jason

the hair surrounding the bill on either bird is also a good clue to the species.

Hairies tend to have the patch at a longer length and at a bill-ish angle. Downies tend to have visible bristles on this patch, and the patch is at a near ninety degree angle to the bill.

OK, now i'm insane.

At first I thought it was a downy, then retratced that statement and said it was a Hairy.

Now I retract my Hairy ID, and make it a Dairy!

Ummm, Downy, I mean...

Also, note the shape of the back of the head. The Downy has a more angular shape, whereas the Hairy is more rounded (similar to comparing a Lesser Scaup with a Greater).

crispycreme said:
Also, note the shape of the back of the head. The Downy has a more angular shape, whereas the Hairy is more rounded (similar to comparing a Lesser Scaup with a Greater).

Yep, crispycreme has a very good point here... I stick to my previous identification: Downy all the way!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back