• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of Bird of Prey? (1 Viewer)

SnowBird

Hello all! Our 10 year young son and us would love to know if you all can help identify this raptor for us...here, in a nutshell, is the short story: Sat. Apr. 3rd, I saw this beauty fly into the tree outside our balcony...we are in Pickering, Ontario, Canada - just east of Toronto, on the Oak Ridges Morraine in Southern Ontario; North shore of Lake Ontario. There are relatively vast forests in the morraine and area and a large raptor population...although I see them all the time riding thermals over the canopy, I do not know much about identifying them...we decided that we had a 'hawk' as a neighbor...in those general terms...here are the 5 pictures we took, at 8pm ET (GMT-5)...with a digital camera/flash...any feedback at all would be much appreciated!!
Tom, Cindy & Kyle!

Attachments

• Picture 091.jpg
    Picture 091.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 369
  • Picture 092.jpg
    Picture 092.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 278
  • Picture 093.jpg
    Picture 093.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 297
  • Picture 094.jpg
    Picture 094.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 272
  • Picture 095.jpg
    Picture 095.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 296
Your bird looks a Red-Tailed Hawk, due to its "bellyband" of streaks. If you could take any more pictures then it might be easier to narrow down the ID.

We will try for much better pics, I apoligize for the quality, best we could do at that moment...came back 2 weeks later on Apr. 17th and again the next night...was there at midnight and gone by time I was up at 6am, so I'm hoping that means there will be other opportunities! I looked into Red-Tails too, but I thought they left Canada/Alaska and stayed in southern US during winter...but that may be old-school text book...environment today has changed so much, that maybe they're 'back' earlier...we'll try for better pics!! Thank you!!

Definately a redtail

I'm definately going to go with a redtail. I see them everyday here in the states, and the bellyband totally gives it away. I'm positive that's what it is. You should see it again- I'd love to see some more pics, because the Red Tailed hawk is a beautiful bird!

Chris

Hi snowbird,

May I wish you a warm welcome to Birdforum on behalf of all the Admin, Staff and Moderators. I hope you enjoy your time with us - you seem to have settled in well.

Looks like you have got your bird id - that's one of the great things about birdforum.

Thank you all very much and red-tailed Hawk it is then! I will do all I can to get better quality pictures!! Cindy & I will visit regularly!!! Thank you Robin - Man of Kent!! You have a fantastic thing going here!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back