• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HDF vs SDL zoom, help please. (1 Viewer)

DorsetGed

I'm going to buy one of the gs 80mm ed scopes, does anyone have practical experience of both zooms? Is there much differance in the field of veiw between them? I assume that the sdl is of a slightly better construction and delivers better results opticaly, is this right?
I can afford the sdl zoom but I'm wondering wether it's worth the extra cash. Thanks,
Ged.

Without wanting to hijack your thread - can you tell me why you opted for the GS rather than the ES?

Personally I'd go with a fixed EP - I prefer the wider FOV and less 'fussing' with zooms.

I'm going to buy one of the gs 80mm ed scopes, does anyone have practical experience of both zooms? Is there much differance in the field of veiw between them? I assume that the sdl is of a slightly better construction and delivers better results opticaly, is this right?
I can afford the sdl zoom but I'm wondering wether it's worth the extra cash. Thanks,
Ged.

Hi Ged

I have the es 80 ed and have both the sdl and hdf zooms, IMHO,the hdf has better brightness and fov than the sdl,the hdf is the one I have permanently on the scope,but others dissagree !

PH

Ged.

Best to try them side by side. I compared both on the ES80 ED and while a don't recall any noticeable difference in filed of view the SDL was slightly brighter and sharper. Wether it is worth the extra bucks....... only you can tell!

Perry

PS the ES80 ED is worth a look.

Thanks for the replies & sorry I couldn't reply sooner but works new internet policy bans this site :C
I meant the es80 ed, that was a typo on my part. I'm now thinking about the HR66 ED with the SDL Zoom, I don't drive so I have to walk or take the bus everywhere so I think this may be a nice compromise for me between a 50mm travel scope and one of the big 80mm scopes.

Thanks for the replies & sorry I couldn't reply sooner but works new internet policy bans this site :C
I meant the es80 ed, that was a typo on my part. I'm now thinking about the HR66 ED with the SDL Zoom, I don't drive so I have to walk or take the bus everywhere so I think this may be a nice compromise for me between a 50mm travel scope and one of the big 80mm scopes.

Hi DorsetGed,

The main advantages of the SDL over the HDF Zoom are the following;

* A wider field of view.

* Superior cross-field definition across all magnifications.

* A wider eyerelief (making viewing easier)

But its always best to compare the two and see if you can see the benifits for yourself.

Cheers,

Rob B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back