• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow (1 Viewer)

lassa8

United States
I just can't seem to identify this sparrow. It was seen near a lake in northern Missouri this evening.

Attachments

• sparrow.jpg
    sparrow.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 254
Chipping Sparrow! I Have already posted an image of one fighting with an Am. Goldfinch a few days ago!

How to tell from Am Tree Sparrow: White eyebrow (is grey on Am tree sparrow); duller red on wings and backside; very faint or no central breast spot.

Your welcome!

gthang said:
Wahht??? Chipping sparrows have subspecies?????

Gthang,
Goodness Gracious! You must be the only one on the whole planet that doesn't have this earth-shaking item on the tip of their tongue.

S.p.passerina - SE Canada, C USA >> S USA
S.p.arizonae - W Canada >> SW USA, W Mexico
S.p.atremaeus - NC and WC to EC Mexico
S.p.mexicana - C and S Mexico, Guatemala
S.p.pinetorum - S Guatemala to NE Nicaragua

>> means -winters to-

:news: ;)

By the way, Crispycreme's boreophila has been submerged in arizonae being considered consubspecific.

Last edited:
No comprende birdish. translador en ingles, por pavor!

So then I must be getting Spizella passerina newyorkii?

"So then I must be getting Spizella passerina newyorkii?"

No, you get passerina passerina (so good they named it twice :))

Dave

Last edited:
gthang said:
No comprende birdish. translador en ingles, por pavor!

I'm not sure what you didn't understand. In NY you have the nominate subspecies S.p.passerina. If you are talking about the comment on boreophila, it means that while once being cited as a subspecies somewhere by someone, on further review it has been found to be consubspecific (which means 'the same subspecies') as arizonae, and since arizonae was the race described first (which means that it has what is called taxonomic precedence) when boreophila was found to be the same thing as arizonae it was thereafter considered as arizonae (boreophila became in taxonomese - submerged- within arizonae). :bounce:

Yeah, that's what I didn't understand "Consubspecific". It's not a word in everyday language, you know.

gthang said:
Hi Gthang,

If you did - it'd be noveboracensis - from Novum Eboracum, New York in Latin, plus -ensis, Latin for 'from'.

Now go look up the Latin name of Northern Waterthrush and guess where it was first discovered ;)

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back