• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diopter message in store discussion board (1 Viewer)

The guy is doing things backwards for this particular binocular. Since the diopter adjustment is on the left eyepiece (instead of the more usual right) he should adjust the center focuser to reach focus with the right side first (with the left side covered). Then adjust the diopter ring on the left eyepiece to bring the two sides to common focus.

Diopter change on the right has been the "standard" for a long time.

I had some problems with the internal focus (so you can't see which eyepiece is being adjusted) Leupold Cascades I bought from FrankD. "The diopter adjust doesn't seem to work", I said, "It does. It's adjusting the other barrel" said Frank. Doh! ;)

EDIT: I can't seem to keep left and right straight. ;)

Last edited:
7x26 Custom Compact

I got my Bushnell Compacts in the early 80's - serial number R01724. I also have my brother's Bausch & Lomb "Audubon" version that he got in the mid 80's as well - serial # 202308. Both have the diopter on the left. Both are the mini reverse porro prism style - not the newer "Star Trek" looking type.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back