• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flava wag' racial ID thoughts please (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
Photographed ½ hour ago on the IOM

Attachments

• BHW080604a.jpg
    BHW080604a.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 369
  • BHW080604b.jpg
    BHW080604b.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
Think its a flava with a slightly white throat Chris, its not smart enough for iberiae though I have seen a few beema-type in Cheshire - I assume from the Blue-head/yellow liasions that are regular

Last edited:
This bird overall appearance is of a flava wag, but it definately shows a white throat patch that contrasts with the yellow breast. The broad supercilium (especially behind the eye) together with the white throat patch is good for the Spanish ssp iberiae. I have seen "Spanish" Yellow Wags and they tend to show crisp pale edged tertials as well, as seen on your image. Because of the quality of the image it is hard to say if their is contrast between the ear coverts patch and the colour of the cap. What I can safely say is that this does not look like a typical C Europe flava wag...

Jonathan Meyrav

I went there expecting to see a Blue-headed flava but was immediately struck by the white throat patch. It was a bit flighty and didn't pose for longer than a couple of seconds at a time, but I really didn't think it was a flava - I was certainly leaning towards Spanish myself.

CJW said:
I went there expecting to see a Blue-headed flava but was immediately struck by the white throat patch. It was a bit flighty and didn't pose for longer than a couple of seconds at a time, but I really didn't think it was a flava - I was certainly leaning towards Spanish myself.
Was the head as grey as it appears in the photos? The colour doesn't look right for flava but have no experience of iberiae.

Rob

Hi Chris,
In my opinion,this is not an iberiae,despite the presence of a pale throat,and is most likely a slightly odd flava.Alstrom and Mild(2003) caution against the identification of iberiae outside of the usual range,and I'd expect a bird of that subspecies to show a whiter throat which was more cleanly demarcated from the yellow breast and also more contrastingly dark ear coverts.
Harry

Thanks Harry. Perhaps you're right. I'd better not argue having asked for input - it seems an unpopular thing to do at the moment ;)

Harry Hussey said:
Alstrom and Mild(2003) caution against the identification of iberiae outside of the usual range
Hi Harry,

Regarding another YWag I saw a few years ago - what do they say about cinereocapilla? If one turned up in a fall of Scandinavian birds (including two M. f. thunbergi), would they be suggesting genuine Italian vagrant, or an aberrant thunbergi?

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Is a white throat (rather than yellow) a reliable racial identification character in Yellow Wags?

My suspicions are that it isn't. But I would like to know more of what Alström & Mild say about this generally, it may well help with yours too

Michael

It was still around at 2pm Ive been told, so hopefully we will be able to get more shots of it later on.
( I have to see it first though! having dipped out twice so far today)

Hi all,
As far as I remember(and this IS relevant to Chris's bird),ANY race of Yellow Wagtail can show a white/whitish throat on occasion,and this would also lead to a putative cinereocapilla having an element of doubt attached to it,particularly if it turned up with undisputed thunbergi....
Harry

I know Jane. I've gone with what Harry suggested and put it down as Blue-headed flava.
Moths are much easier, at least they sit still. Usually.

CJW said:
I know Jane. I've gone with what Harry suggested and put it down as Blue-headed flava.
Moths are much easier, at least they sit still. Usually.
But you did get some decent photo's. I've found tht Yellow Wags are a pig to photograph, very flighty and always on the move
Well done!

Hi folks

although i have field experience of all the mentioned taxa I dont think it counts for much I'm afraid. Pretty sure it's not iberiae but after that....the head is an unusual shade for flava but there's no hint of the much darker ear covs of iberiae or cinereocapilla which (regarding separation from thunbergi )in my field experience often show a super too. It is quite odd for a flava but then again you do get em..... on the other hand I have seen an amazing amount of weird wags in northern Greece.....I gave up sketching them as they were so varied it was becoming a pointless exercise.....there was obviously a lot of mixing going on. This may just be a white-throated flava which do occur as Jane had said. We were faced with an odd wag recently but luckily it was a thunbergi and not too tricky!

Beware of 1st summer bird Thunbergi that can show a white throat.
Not sure about the super though !
My friends and I were caught out by such a bird last spring in Lothian.
It showed what we thought was a white throat that was sharply demarcated from the upper breast anda head pattern that looked very similar to Ashy headed (Cinereocapilla) ,however this theory was blown out of the water by much closer shots showing that the yellow did indeed encroach the throat by way of the malar stripes.
The dark ear covert mask was also thought to be wrong for Cinereocapilla.
For further info on this bird see Birding Scotland 6 vol 3

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back