• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When/how do you clean lenses? (1 Viewer)

rdfish1

I've always worried about scratching the glass/lenses of my optics so I generally use my air compressor to produce a shot of high pressure air to blow off any dust and debris, then wipe lightly with a dry cotton ball, then getting another clean one and rubbing my firmly. However, i don't really know if there are better techniques and/or chemicals like rubbing alcohol that I should be using. Also, what about cleaning in the field if out on a long day of birding? thx for the input

I've always worried about scratching the glass/lenses of my optics so I generally use my air compressor to produce a shot of high pressure air to blow off any dust and debris, then wipe lightly with a dry cotton ball, then getting another clean one and rubbing my firmly. However, i don't really know if there are better techniques and/or chemicals like rubbing alcohol that I should be using. Also, what about cleaning in the field if out on a long day of birding? thx for the input

I wouldn't recommend an air compressor as it can blow oil out sometimes. Nor I would use cotton balls as they are not the best material to put on your lenses. Get one of thoses fine brushes with an air billow on it so you can get any hard debris or grit off your lenses first. Then if it just a few spots a lens pen works good but make sure the lens pen is clean. If your lenses are pretty dirty buy those lens cleaning swabs that come presoaked with alcohol from Zeiss or any other manufacturer and wipe them gently with those until they are clean. Easy!

I wouldn't use any alcohol on my lenses. I would blow hard to remove dust (and check!) then steam the lens up with my breath and use a good quality non-impregnated lens cloth (microfibre is good). If they get really dirty use plain water with a lens cloth - and if they are high grade waterproof bins (or scope) it can be good sometimes to run them under the tap.

I like to start with 80 grit emery cloth and gradually work my way down to Bon Ami or a fine pumice. A rinse with gasoline is a good way to finish.

I like to start with 80 grit emery cloth and gradually work my way down to Bon Ami or a fine pumice. A rinse with gasoline is a good way to finish.

If I do that will it get rid of those purple and green colors on the glass? They are real annoying! The lens pen won't work on those.
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back