• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine or Hobby ? You Decide. (1 Viewer)

Thanks for that london birder. I think its peregrine because of its fine extensive breast streaking. I think its slim image is because its peering.

bolton birdman said:
Thanks for that london birder. I think its peregrine because of its fine extensive breast streaking. I think its slim image is because its peering.

and it is nervous because it is in a tree

one thing I'd like to say at this point is...if this is a Peregrine (which to my eyes it clearly isn't) then the breast streaking would indicate it is a juvenile as adults show barring as opposed to streaking ... if it is therefore a juvenile Peregrine why the yellowish cere?

Last edited:
Well, if the photo was taken very recently then it's more likely to be a Peregrine as surely Hobby's would have left the country by now. Also, the broad moustache would also indicate Peregrine.

However, that white mark behind the "ear" is a bit Hobby-esque isn't it?

Steve

agreed, it's not easy to make out, think I can see it however unless it's the eye-ring 'bleeding' towards the cere on my screen ,and granted it doesn't appear to be a full adult

I disagree, I have watched sibling Peregrines mature out of juvenile plumage and they attain a bluish colouration ... something which I've found to be more prominent in known males, females becoming a more 'leaden-blue' (though how that translates in much sunnier climes than London I dont know) ... the link you have posted of the young Peregrine is clearly light saturated

Last edited:
I keep looking at this picture and can see where both hooby an dperegrine camp are coming from.

The bird does appear to be slight, suggesting hobby rather than peregrine, however this is clearly not diagnostic given it's a single picture.

The light area at the back of the head looks good for hobby, and isn't something I've seen on peregrine. However the large, wide moustachial strip, shoulder markings and the flecking on the cheek make me think peregrine.

I guess I'm swinging toward peregrein for two reasons - furst I can see more pro-perergine features than pro-hobby ones. Secondly, I'd like to think that when the bird was rung measurements were taken, which should put the ID beyond any doubt.

yep, the white hook-around mark you are referring to is a good Hobby trait, I think only shared by Red-footed Falcon amongst our mid-sized falcons

Last edited:
As per the other thread, this is a juvenile Hobby.

The pale nape mark, the proportions (i.e. large head size in relation to body, indicating a small bird), the plain white, unstreaked cheeks are diagnostic. The fact that it is in a conifer doesn't help the Peregrine theory either. The density/thickness of the breast streaks is irrelevant compared to the features mentioned above.

There is no further debate on this bird.

GV

I'm surprised there ever was ...

but thought it best to start the thread so people can clearly air their views without the pic being buried amongst the Sparrowhawk thread ...

I get a small cold shiver down my back every time I think about it being banded as a Peregrine !

London Birder said:
oh yeh I forgot, I can ID a Hobby but not a Mistle Thrush .... may I refer you to my comments in the Sparrowhawk thread

LB - you're being wound up and you're biting!!! Chill, mate, there's no hatred on here.

GV

lmao, not being wound up in the least ... couldn't be more chilled if I was a Sheathbill's cloaca ... certainly no 'hatred' this end ... all quite entertaining methinks

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back