• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cyprus kingfisger? (1 Viewer)

Kay Nine

I'm not really a bird watcher but was fascinated by a bird I saw on holiday in Cyprus recently and wonder if anyone can tell me what it might have been. It looked like a kingfisher but it was on the rocks at Limasol and fished from the sea. I thought kingfishers were found in fresh water only. It was also a very vivid blue on its back and a very bright silver blue on the under side of its wings. I've only ever seen a kingfisher in England once and it was less bright than the Cyprus one. The bird I saw sat for a long time on the rock and I was able to swim to within a couple of feet and watch it for 10 minutes. Then it fished by skimming low across the water rather than diving straight downwards. Any replies gratefully received.

I"m no help to you on the ID, Kay, but Harry may have it. I do know there's lots of different Kingfishers around, all over the planet.

Let me say welcome to you, on behalf of BF's Admin and Mods -- we're delighted you've come here to ask your question.

Maybe this sighting will fuel an interest in birds for you -- there's an endless variety to see, and endless ways to enjoy them. And seeing how rapidly BF has grown in it's existence of just over a year shows you how many people are enthralled by our feathers friends.

So ask away with any other question you have -- lots of fun and friendly folks here to help you find the answer.

As a footnote, Jeff Gordon, who runs Birline Cyprus, told me that lots of people say that kingfishers and kestrels are 'different' in Cyprus. In fact they are the same species. Almost any bird can look different if seen in an unfamiliar environment. The very bright sunlight can give some birds a rather bleached appearance (or, I suppose, it may actually cause bleaching).

As Reader and Michael say its a Common Kingfisher. Like them I have seen them by the sea on the Black Sea - at Nesebar (just down the road from Sunny Beach!), Bulgaria. They were extremely approachable compared to Kingfishers here in GB.

However, Kingfishers can often be seen in estuary locations here in GB during cold spells.

regards
Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back