• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

suitable hedging (1 Viewer)

we need to plant a new hedge(approx 60feet / 20 metres) on border with neighbours .
Does anyone know / recommend a mix or single variety for the job with max. benefit to wildlife ....
conditions:
1/ evergreen / or at least dense- they overlook us
2/ not too vigorous
3/ not too thirsty or greedy - our soil is sandy and we don't get alot of rain
4/ looks great
fortunately the neighbours are paying so stretch the budget !!!!!
seriously, all suggestions gratefully received
thanks
mike

thanks
I forgot(dinnertime) to say we had discarded laurel as a choice and were looking at yew or holly ..
I just feel that there may be something else that is a little more ...
however at least holly and yew have berries
thanks again
mike

mikesmithy said:
thanks
I forgot(dinnertime) to say we had discarded laurel as a choice and were looking at yew or holly ..
I just feel that there may be something else that is a little more ...
however at least holly and yew have berries
thanks again
mike

The main problem I'd foresee with either of those is they are likely to be extremely slow-growing into anything substantial as neither is a particularly quick growing species at the best of times, and their growth is likely to be inhibited by a sandy and fairly arid environment.

I'd be more inclined to go for a mixed hedgerow, maybe including some holly, but with predominantly deciduous native trees. The habitat created will be more diverse (good for insects as well as birds), and they are more likely to create a quicker hedge than holly / yew alone. It takes a few years to reach this stage, but once established the hedge can be layered (a great skill to acquire), which will significantly improve it's density for providing privacy year-round, and also it's attractiveness to nesting birds.

Bear in mind that you and your neighbour are most likely to value the privacy afforded by a hedge during the months of the year a garden is a pleasant place to be outside in (ie not the winter), so deciduous trees need not be a drawback.

Make sure you include hawthorn / blackthorn for berries, and rosa / honeysuckle for flowers / fruit as well. The understory is likely to be less sterile with a mixed hedge, and you can source nursery-propogated flowering plant species for extra interest.

Jon

I have recently planted Hazel, Blackthorn and Hornbeam. You should also include holly as this makes a wonderful hedge once it's filled out and been trimmed a few times. Its imporant to trim your hedge as this encourages it to fill out from the bottom.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back