• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identifiable birds on CD/LP Covers (1 Viewer)

david kelly

Drive-by Birder
Scotland
david kelly said:
I am currently listening to "Good Morning Spider" by Sparklehorse which has a Barn Swallow on the cover. Perusing my little collection I find that I have a few more CDs with birds on the cover. "Sumday" by Grandaddy appears to have a flock of Whooper Swans in a Japanese winter scene on its cover. I also bought the EP "Thieves" by Shearwater simply for the cover. See http://jound.com/shearwater/main.html and http://www.popmatters.com/music/reviews/s/shearwater-thieves.shtml

David

About twenty-five years ago I bought a Charlie Parker LP 'Bird is Free' which had a nice flight shot of Ring-billed Gull against a clear blue sky on the cover. Don't have it any more.
I haven't so far been able to track down a web photo of the cover. I have found out it now apparently goes for about $35 (which is more than I got for mine!).

Neil Diamonds 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull' has a small pic of a gull in the up left hand corner. Even an expert would be hard pressed to identify it though!! Very good album though and an even better film. Saw it long before I was interested in birds and often wonder if it is available on video. Will have to check!

Nazareth had the cover with the peacock close-up on it, back in the 70's - can't remember what it was called.

I have The Strangles album "The Raven", which has a 3D picture of, yes, a raven on it.

Birds

You got me thinking David and after my re-discovery of Jonathan Livingstone Seagull I have had a look through my albums and CDs. Found the following;

Camel...music inspired by The Snowgoose...........A Snowgoose!

Mike Oldfield......the complete (CD)......Swallow

Simon/Garfunkel Collection (CD)......collection of gulls (presumably USA gulls)

Fleetwood Mac.....Tango In The Night (CD).......Great Egret or possibly Yellow Billed! (stand to be corrected on that one)

Flight Of The Condor...original music from BBC series......yes...a Condor!

Sure there must be many more out there. Got me wondering how many popsters are bird watchers in their spare time. Seemed to remember that old timer Billy Fury was very keen.

Last edited:
RecoveringScot said:
About twenty-five years ago I bought a Charlie Parker LP 'Bird is Free' which had a nice flight shot of Ring-billed Gull against a clear blue sky on the cover.

This is the cover from the 1998 remastered release.

Attachments

• Bird is Free.jpg
    Bird is Free.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 108
Off the top of my head

Faith No More - Angel dust = Great White Egret

Beautiful South - Gaze = Buteo sp.

Blackfoot - Marauder = Buteo sp. (could even be small Aquila)

Barclay James Harvest - Gone to Earth = Tawny Owl (Badly Drawn)

Haven't seen them for ages so can tell you no more than that.

Darrell

tom mckinney said:
This is the cover from the 1998 remastered release.

I've got all the material from this date on the Jazz Classics 1996 double CD with its ingenious combination of two sources to make a fairly reasonable attempt at stereo on one track. Regrettably they haven't followed up on the bird photo idea, settling for a reworked one of the man himself.

I can remember where I bought the original vinyl LP (muse, drone)......

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back