• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

meat eating dabblers (1 Viewer)

samuel walker

It's OK to be a little blue........
I saw something curious for me today.A drake and hen mallard swam to the beach edge at the corner of a fishing pier.She reached down and began tearing away at a fish carcass.The drake watched for a while then took it away from her and tore at it himself.I have seen Canada geese eat dead fish off the ice in winter, but I have never seen a dabbling duck eat flesh until today.Any ideas?
Sam

I don't know about wild Mallards, but I used to raise domestics and I watched the muthas swallow mice whole and play with frog skins after eating the innards.

I stopped raising domestic Mallard ducks.

Elizabeth

Killer carrion eating death duck Mallards! Who would of thunk it? My biology teacher once told me Mallard drakes are the only ducks that will actually rape females. They even sound like a*******. Ooops, sorry, that wasn't very polite. But then they aren't either...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was working at a hotel on the banks of the Thames many many years ago and used to watch Mallards chasing Bleak (a small silver fish) on the surface.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back