• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song Thrush Nest (1 Viewer)

Hello all,

I noticed a song thrush in the garden on tuesday morning for the first time. It was throwing leaves and small twigs around for a while then flying into the hedge and returning a short time later and repeating. This morning I went to take a look in the hedge and I can see the beginings of a nest :)

Im a bit worried about how close the nest is to the pathway in the garden. If the thrush manages to lay and is incubating eggs, how much disturbance can they take?? I assume its ok for a bird to leave incubating for a short time for the times it will be disturbed when anybody goes into the garden?

Hi Keith,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

I am often amazed at how close to humans birds will happily nest - keep us informed how things go.

Nice photos BTW :t:

Keep watch but from a distance as they may enjoy nesting close to human activity but , boy are they sharp if they know the nest has been spotted they will build elsewhere. Try and watch form a hidung place, as they are so wonderful to be able to follow the comings and goings. I had three nests last year and they were great until they were found by a neighbouring cat, which I managed to keep away from the nest, but with difficulty, three babies made it! Hope yours do better!

Nest problems!

It's not us humans, it's them cats!
I had a BB nest in a big bush just by my window, and a cat got in there quick as you like!
It's a jungle out there!

madmike

Im a bit worried about how close the nest is to the pathway in the garden. If the thrush manages to lay and is incubating eggs, how much disturbance can they take??

if it helps put your mind at rest last year a Song Thrush nested here in a clipped hedge next to a gate that it is in constant use (has one of those very loud clasps as well), it did used to pop out occasionally but the nest was still successful.

Hi Keith, welcome to BirdForum, good luck with the thrush, its already been asked but please keep us updated. Great set of photos on your site.

Well I just got home today after a long weekend away. Earlier today, from my bedroom I saw a Blackbird flying in and out of the hedge. Also saw a couple of thrushes fighting with a blackbird (it looked like anyway).

Before I left for work I had a quick look in the garden and a song thrush was sitting on the nest!! I got quite close (3 or 4 feet away) before I noticed, but the bird didnt leave the nest and stayed very hunched down on the nest (very good camoflague!). So I tried my best to look as if I hadnt seen it and left it along. So maybe its incubating now?? There were no eggs in the nest when I left (6 days ago).

Just have to keep an eye out for the cat now I suppose!

Song thrush nest

lliz eastwood

Any news about your nesting thrush? We had a beautiful nest in a weeping cherry tree in our front garden, next to the front path. It was fully and beautifully constructed and contained four song thrush eggs. However we only saw the thrush on the nest once, and have not seen her since. It is over a week ago now and I think something must have scared her away as it is a rather public area to have built the nest. The eggs are still there but I suppose there is little hope for them. I am so sad about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back