• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rawshooter - problem opening RAW images (1 Viewer)

Ghostly Vision

Hello all,

I'm new to RAW, so please bear with me.

I have Rawshooter (and have also tried the Microsoft raw software) but am having trouble opening my pictures. Can anyone help?

This is what I'm doing:

1. Taking photos in RAW format (Panasonic DMC-FZ50)
2. Connecting camera to PC via the cable (for some reason my card reader doesn't recognise pics any more, I think since I formatted the card)
3. Open Rawshooter
4. Move an image to my PC
5. Drag into top box in Rawshooter.

I then get a message saying "unable to open RAW file:(filepath).RAW may be in use by another program".

When I tried with the Windows one, the box would come up saying "creating preview" then it would disappear and nothing would happen at all.

Strangely, when I transfer pics to my PC, the icon is Photoshop PSD. If I try to open it directly into Photoshop, I get a box coming up saying "Describe (filename).RAW" and asking me to enter a file size in pixels. See screen dump on attachment. If I go with its default suggestion it says "specified image is smaller than file; open anyway?" If I click ok, just a portion of the image opens. If I click "guess", the same happens. (see second screendump)

Any help appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Sean

Attachments

• ps screendump.doc
    123 KB · Views: 108
  • ps screendump2.doc
    706.5 KB · Views: 91
Why do you have to move the image to your Pc after opening RS?
I would try to download the pics to your PC , THen open RS - open the file with the pics and see what happens .
OR- Connect camera to Pc via cable , open RS and try to see the camera's files directly from the camera .

Why don't you use the software that came with the FZ50, I do and find it very good, in fact better than Ps. If your model is from 2006 you may have to get an update, because with the earlier models, it did not support FZ50 files believe it or not . Ernie

Thanks chaps.

DOC - I have tried all ways of saving and opening the pics but the same result for all. I am very used to doing this with jpegs, but it's just not working with RAWs.

Ernie - unfortunately, because I'm such a disorganised scruffy sod, I can't find the CD that came with my camera. I must have put it away somewhere and now I don't know where it is! Is it downloadable free?

Anyway, it's not photoshop I've a problem with per sé - it's opening the bloody things in the first place.

Cheers

Sean

Just trying to bump this to the top to see if anyone has any other advice for me.

I'm still getting the problem and don't have a clue how to solve it.

Couldn't find the Panasonic software on their site and still can't find my disc.

Has anyone got an FZ50 and is willing to spare their software disc for me to install on my pc?

Thanks

Sean

Sean, I think you will probably need the software that came with your camera or another solution - the FZ50 was released after the last version of Rawshooter - there haven't been nor will there be any new versions, so no support of recent cameras (as far as I am aware).

A quick google - the camera came bundled with “SILKYPIX Developer Studio 2.0SE", which is a commercial product - you won't be able to download it free from anywhere legal.

A slightly long-winded approach, but for free, would be to convert the RAW file to Adobe DNG format (which isn't a bad thing to do), then you can use Picasa or paint.net to play with your images (or any other software that you may have). Do you have Adobe Photoshop Elements?

Here are the URLs

Adobe DNG converter

Paint.Net

Picasa

Hope this helps - let me know if you want any more help.

Thanks Mark - all brilliant advice.

There is a Microsoft Raw product which I also downloaded. I thought that was pretty new, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Maybe I'll rely on finding my own disc or the generosity of a BF member with the CD that came with their FZ50....

I have an old Photoshop Elements and also full PS7

Thanks again

Sean

There is a Microsoft Raw product which I also downloaded. I thought that was pretty new, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Maybe I'll rely on finding my own disc or the generosity of a BF member with the CD that came with their FZ50....

The free Microsoft RAW software is only a viewer, like the picture and fax viewer in Windows and it only works with 'supported' Nikon and Canon cameras.

I just checked the Adobe site and they started support for the FZ50 RAW files with ACR 3.5, so you need PS CS2/Elements 3.0 or higher for support.

Fingers crossed you find the CD.

Searching for something completely unrelated today, I stumbled upon the fact that there is a free version of SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0. It looks to do enough to convert your RAW files but not really get the full benefit of shooting in RAW.

Windows download

Maybe worth a try till you find your CD?

Another thought: Picasa has RAW handling capabilities - maybe that would be a stopgap for RAW conversion?

That was my original thought Keith, but it doesn't handle that camera (or I couldn't find it in the list) - hence the DNG step I mentioned earlier.

Ah - not to worry.

As it happens, that Silkypix suggestion you made is a good 'un - I downloaded a copy earlier and it's very capable, especially for nowt.

Ah - not to worry.

As it happens, that Silkypix suggestion you made is a good 'un - I downloaded a copy earlier and it's very capable, especially for nowt.

Thats good to hear Keith - I downloaded it but not installed and tried it yet (mainly because I caved in and sold the last of my soul to Adobe - Lightroom is very, very pretty ;) )

Lightroom..!

My 30 day evaluation period expired today, and I have to say that I've grown to like it a lot. It's only the fact that it will cost me about as much in £ as it cost you in $ to buy the bloody thing that puts me off (well, that and the fact that I might be buying a new camera soon!)

;)

You might be interested in this: http://www.ononesoftware.com/photopresets-wow.php

A set of free presets for LR which automate a lot of processing options - good fun, and very effective.

Ta for the link Keith - I'll have a play with those at some point...adds it to the ever growing stack of cool stuff to play with...

I had a $199 special offer on LR that expired this week, so it kind of forced my hand to buy now.

Thats good to hear Keith - I downloaded it but not installed and tried it yet (mainly because I caved in and sold the last of my soul to Adobe - Lightroom is very, very pretty ;) )
I have also been using Lightroom lately Mark and am getting to like it. Are you using the Sharpening and Noise reduction in Lightroom or do you still do this and your final tweaks in PS?

I have also been using Lightroom lately Mark and am getting to like it. Are you using the Sharpening and Noise reduction in Lightroom or do you still do this and your final tweaks in PS?

Processing with it?!? I am still trying to work out how best to import from my old naming/filing system! ;)

I am trying to take it step-by-step Roy, rather than diving straight in like I normally do! Although I imagine that I will still do most finishing in PS.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back