• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax Q (1 Viewer)

Hughv

Where's that bird?
A friend makes amazing claims about this camera, and I don't know enough to understand it all.
What kind of results can I expect with a Nikon adapter and my Sigma 150-500 or my Nikkor 70/300?
Thanks from a novice.

The Q should work with the two said lenses in MF only, but images will be soft due to diffraction limiting. You'll need a rock-steady tripod to eliminate the shake that will be apparent with such a long effective focal length. Still, the combo looks promising and I'll be interested to see your results. have a look at Pentaxforums to read about the experiences of Pentax Q users with adapted lenses.

I'm very interested in this since reading about it, and have just bought a Q to try out with some of my K mount lenses.

As soon as my adapter arrives I will post some examples. I also have the 150-500, among others.

Q

There are many discussions with samples on PentaxForums. The Q requires amazingly sharp lens to give sharp images at high magnification: top quality fast primes. Diffraction sets in early, already visible at f/4. To get the effective focal length that accounts for the crop factor, multiply the focal length by 5.5: a 300mm on the Q frames like a 1650mm on a FF camera.
The best Q tele shots i've found online are with a Borg fluorite telescope.

I'd be very interested to know what gives better IQ and reach: a telescope with Q, or digiscoping with Q and lens. I'd bet on the telescope, but digiscoping also gives you AF.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back