• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magpies (1 Viewer)

foxydave

Hi need some help set up a bird feeding station in a FREINDS wood for photography start really well woodpeckers ,jays and all woodland birds.now the magpies have arrived and ruined it .any ideas to deter them cheers

I don't understand how the Magpies have "ruined it". For a start, Magpies are intelligent birds that provide great photo opportunities, especially their interaction with other Corvids. Also, outside of the breeding season, other smaller birds get used to them - they'll be alert when Magpies are around, but they won't often spook. Also, Magpies are a very effective (and noisy) early warning system, and will often see predators before other birds do.

I have the following in my small (20ft*20ft) garden:

• Chaffinches
  • Goldfinches
  • Blue Tits
  • Great Tits
  • Coal Tits (irregular)
  • Sparrows
  • Goldcrests (irregular)
  • Crows
  • Jays
  • Great Spotted Wood Peckers (female and youngsters irregular - male daily for long periods)
  • Magpies
  • Starlings
  • Collared Doves
  • Wood Pigeons
  • Feral Pigeons
  • Blackbirds
  • Robins
  • Dunnocks (irregular)
  • Wrens

Oh, and 6+ Squirrels (two of which breed in my shed roof) and a regular (since it was a juvenile 6+ years ago) male Sparrowhawk. Other birds turn up occasionally including a Ring-necked Parakeet, a Jackdaw, and other Sparrowhawks. So everything just gets along fine, just provide good cover and plenty of food and water (for bathing). Also consider what food to put out and where - Magpies will eat foods that the smaller birds are not interested in - some research and experimentation with various food should yield results.

I forgot to mention, the Jays take more fledglings during the breeding season than Magpies, but Magpies always seem to get the blame. I'm also wondering how many well exposed pictures of Magpies in a good setting your friend has?

(I can be a bit overprotective of Corvids, Raptors, and Pigeons, as all are much maligned - apologies if the tone of this post is a bit sharp; I'll reread it later when I'm awake properly... if I remember)

Agree with Chris - tolerate and accommodate. My garden is much the same - apart from the grey squirrels, which I (somewhat hypocritically I know) don't tolerate as they are not native, and very destructive to both birds, feeders and garden.
Magpies are a highlight not a downside.

I have to say I am also on the side of tolerating a bird like Magpies. I just love watching birds out on my back porch and usually, my Cardinals chase everything off while eating. It's usually, the big male Cardinal, the smaller males/females, and then a few straggler Cardinals. After they get their fill, and sometimes during, the smaller birds jump in and grab some food. I have a squirrel that likes to come up and eat some of the dropped food. I used to chase it away, but now I enjoy watching it as well. (As long as it doesn't go near the actual bird feeders.). My two small dogs will usually chase the squirrel if they see it.
Good luck with your Magpies!

Ha guys I am not anti magpies but what ever I fit up for woodpeckers they just take all the fat out of the drilled trunks .i don't mind one or two but I counted 30 the other day .i think I will change locations thanks

I would be amazed and rather pleased to have 30 magpies in my garden at one time. The most I have ever had at one time is 7.

Hello foxydave. Magpies can also be a big concern in my region. What I am about to tell you is just a traditional remedy used by the ancients in here to prevent magpies from entering a farm: they used to place magpie feathers on the fences and let them move with the wind. Obviously you can't do that, however just stay with the idea that a hanging black&white plastic or similar can be very effective. Hope this helps

I love the magpies! I feed them mealworms and nuts seperately on the roof of the porch (the feeders are in a tree that only the little birds visit). I would love to know how to get the crows to come across too but they seem rather aloof compared to all the other birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back