• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bargain Hawke Sapphires! (1 Viewer)

sbooder

an english birder in france
I broke my Hawke Frontier 8x43s not long ago. I was running with them zipped under my jacket and fell. I broke both hinges by landing on top of them and suffered a hair fracture in my sternum to boot!

But that is not what this is about. What it is about however is the fact that Hawke gave me 50% off any model of my choice if I sent the Frontiers back, which I did. Upshot is, I now have a nice new pair of Sapphire 8x43 EDs for £234.99 (+£15 P&P to France).

Have not field tested them yet, just been in the garden but they seem good. I will update when I have spent some time with them.

Initial thoughts on using for 1 afternoon.

Optically there seems little if any difference between these and the Frontier 8x43 EDs. They are slightly brighter but I have yet to test them at dusk, where the Frontier performed very well.

The one thing I found a little annoying is the eye relief for me as a glasses wearer, with the cups all the way down they are almost impossible to sit unobstructed on my specs. By the time you have sorted a position with a full FOV the bird has long gone. But give the eyecups quarter of a turn up and they are wonderful, top position first go every time. As the eyecups only have a two click positions and what I want is under half way before the first position, they tend to move. I have an idea to remedy this. I am going to put an o-ring between the eyecup and the body (on the eyepiece barrel) and turn the eyecups all the way down creating a spacer which should be about right. I will of course let you know how this fares.

They are a little heavier than the Frontiers and according to the specs close focus to the same distance 2m (6.6ft), I have not measured this for real yet but I will add my findings to the update.

My initial conclusion is this. If I had to spend the full amount on a pair of either the Hawk Frontier or the Sapphire (having owned both), I would opt for the Frontier. You are getting a lot of bin for your money at £80 less.

I will a do complete review after a month of use.

I agree. Try as I might to want to believe my Sapphires were a step up from my Frontiers I have gone back to the Frontiers where I think the image is slightly warmer. As for the eyecups, that is a trick I use on my target rifle scopes, putting a rubber seal (Aldi) between the body and the ocular and closing back the eyecup against the seal.

OK, I have the O-rings in place and it works a treat. Quite a neat solution I think?

Attachments

• sapphirering1.jpg
    sapphirering1.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 78
  • sapphirering2.jpg
    sapphirering2.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 72
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back