• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic Lumix G1 at last - what a gem for digiscoping (2 Viewers)

Hi Neil,

This must be a record for the longest running thread of all time- but for good reason! I think you're going to be the best thing that ever happened to Panasonic as soon as the world economy recovers and digiscopers everywhere can afford their new line of 4/3's.

Anyhow, to the question:

1) I notice that you use a balance bar to support many of the lens/camera combos that you use with your G1. I have an old homemade adapter that fits my Leica scope eyepieces much like the Swaro DCA, and I'd love to be able just to adapt the G1 to it. In your experience, is the camera heavy enough that you'd feel the need to use more support no matter which lens you use with it?

cheers,
Randy
(and yes, all of you other-side-of-the-ponders are allowed to think that's funny)

Randy,
No. The G1 with the Panasonic lenses are well supported by the Swarovski DCA adapter and with AF you don't need a Balance Bar. With manual focus at high magnifications or with heavy lenses ( eg Zeiss 28/12.0 distagon T ) or both ( eg Olympus 50/2.0 Macro lens ) it's better to have more stability.
Neil

ps I think this thread got some ways to go with the new gear comming out.

I can't seem to find this info anywhere, could someone tell me what class of SDHC/SD cards are compatable with the G1?

Cheers,

Mark

Some trial on the Nikon 35mm 1.8 lens.
Not easy to get sharp image comparing with the 14-45mm kit lens. May be due to the long reach. :t:

Panasonic G1 + Nikon 35mm 1.8 lens + Swarovski STS80HD scope + Sw 30X eyepiece + home made adapter.

These results look promising.
This is a lens that is missing from my Nikon collection and I'm thinking of getting it. Am I right in thinking that its internally focusing?
Neil.

These results look promising.
This is a lens that is missing from my Nikon collection and I'm thinking of getting it. Am I right in thinking that its internally focusing?
Neil.

Hi Neil,
Yes it is internally focusing.
And I think this lens is too heavy for DCA.
Of course your supporting bar will sure get no problem for it.:eat:

UVW

I am using the Nikon 82 Ed scope 30xDS eyepiece. G1 + Sigma EX 30mm 1:1.4 DC with Novoflex adapter MFT/MIN-AF.

No vignetting with the Sigma on the 30xDS and 50xDS eyepiece. Using manual focus. Set the lens to infinite and focus the scope.

P1010495 240710 30x DS (Common Tern)
P1010530 240710 30x DS (Ring-billed Gull)
P1010516 240710 50x DS (Common Tern)

ATB
Tom

Attachments

• P1010495 240710.jpg
    P1010495 240710.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 243
  • P1010530 240710.jpg
    P1010530 240710.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 351
  • P1010516 240710.jpg
    P1010516 240710.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 306
G1, Konica Hexanon 40 F1.8, mFT adapter, Swaro ATS80HD, 25-50w, DCB-A

I start to like this lens B :)

Attachments

• schwalbe.jpg
    schwalbe.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 283
  • neuntoeter.jpg
    neuntoeter.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 323
  • Eisvoegel.jpg
    Eisvoegel.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 393
... I would get one of the new Leica M lenses for the G1 as they are much smaller and lighter than the Zeiss ...
Neil.

Dear Neil,

I have just joint the forum so that I could get advice from you.

At the moment, I do not have any digiscope gear at all. Will see if I could use my Leica M 28 2.8 asph and 35 2.5 on the Swarovski setup you described. The lenses use 39mm filter. Please advise what adaptor to acquire.

Thanks.

jojomau

Last edited:
Dear Neil,

I have just joint the forum so that I could get advice from you.

At the moment, I do not have any digiscope gear at all. Will see if I could use my Leica M 28 2.8 asph and 35 2.5 on the Swarovski setup you described. The lenses use 39mm filter. Please advise what adaptor to acquire.

Thanks.

jojomau

If you get a Panasonic G1, G2 or GF1 you can get some good use out of your Leicas lenses. You also have the option of the new Sony Nex 3 and 5 now but I would still push you to the G2 as the best digiscoping option ( Electronic Viewfinder, rotatable screen and HD video ).
You need the Leica to Micro Four Thirds adapter ( can be expensive though ) and a 39 - 52 mm step up adapter ( cheap ) to match up with the Swarovski DCA adapter (52 mm ).
Neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your prompt reply in great details.

I fancied to get a G1 when it was launched as a backup for my Leica M8. Now, central block of a digiscope. I would definitely go for a G2 for its video capability.

I tried Shum Shui Po for a 39 to 52 step-up ring this afternoon. Futile. I would try Tsim Sha Tsui later. But, I found a 46 to 52 step-up which is good for a Panasonic 20mm f1.7. As it is a pancake and AF on G2, I may find it much easier to operate as a digiscopic beginner. Also, it is f1.7. I think I do not mind getting it for digiscope. Then, will try MF Leica lenses. It is a pity that the 14-42 is part of a kit and the body is not available on its own.

Thinking that I would use 20 1.7, would it be sensible to get a zoom eyepiece as a start?

Thanks again.

jojomau

P.S. I found a 39-52 on eBay. Also, I am buying a used GH1 tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hi Neil,

Thanks for your prompt reply in great details.

I fancied to get a G1 when it was launched as a backup for my Leica M8. Now, central block of a digiscope. I would definitely go for a G2 for its video capability.

I tried Shum Shui Po for a 39 to 52 step-up ring this afternoon. Futile. I would try Tsim Sha Tsui later. But, I found a 46 to 52 step-up which is good for a Panasonic 20mm f1.7. As it is a pancake and AF on G2, I may find it much easier to operate as a digiscopic beginner. Also, it is f1.7. I think I do not mind getting it for digiscope. Then, will try MF Leica lenses. It is a pity that the 14-42 is part of a kit and the body is not available on its own.

Thinking that I would use 20 1.7, would it be sensible to get a zoom eyepiece as a start?

Thanks again.

jojomau

P.S. I found a 39-52 on eBay. Also, I am buying a used GH1 tomorrow.

Jojomau,
You'll get good results with the 20/1.7 P on the 25-50x zoom ( a bit more vignetting with the 20-60 zoom ).
Neil.

Hi Neil,

After more reading on this thread and understanding of internal focusing, I now should think the 14-45 lens with fixed eyepieces being the convenient option for me, an absolute beginner.

I cannot help noticing that you have a 45x eyepiece which I cannot find on SW official website or any web shops. Please tell me more about its make and availability.

Also, I take note that you tried out with a 35mm Summilux and you were about to try with 50 and 90. Any encouraging results?

After reading through the thread, I now realize that you used to have a diy supporter and now UCA. Do you think I could do just with DCA and let my GH1 and 14-45 hang in the air?

As you are using a straight version, would you change to angled version for your next purchase?

Thanks for your advice.

jojomau

Hi Neil,

After more reading on this thread and understanding of internal focusing, I now should think the 14-45 lens with fixed eyepieces being the convenient option for me, an absolute beginner.

I cannot help noticing that you have a 45x eyepiece which I cannot find on SW official website or any web shops. Please tell me more about its make and availability.

Also, I take note that you tried out with a 35mm Summilux and you were about to try with 50 and 90. Any encouraging results?

After reading through the thread, I now realize that you used to have a diy supporter and now UCA. Do you think I could do just with DCA and let my GH1 and 14-45 hang in the air?

As you are using a straight version, would you change to angled version for your next purchase?

Thanks for your advice.

jojomau

Jojomau,
The kit zoom will work well with the Sw 30x eyepiece in the 16 - 24 mm range with no/little vignetting and in AF mode ( it's internally focusing ). The Swarovski 45x is old now and maybe hard to find but a very good eyepiece which I use a lot -
http://www.opticsplanet.net/sw45xeyforsw.html

The leica eyepieces will work fine with the G1 and I have tried the 50 mm and the 90 mm. In fact I'm taking the 50 mm out with me to the park now for some testing.
The kit zoom will hang off the DCA no trouble and AF but you have to use a very light finger. This works better on a straight scope as the weight of the camera collapses the zoom on an angled. You can wrap some cardboard around the lens to stop this happening. I prefer a straight scope for getting on the bird faster and sitting in the hide where I do most of my shooting.
Neil.

Neil
I have a Kowa 883. Can you tell me what adaptor I would need to use for the Lumix G1.
Also would you recommend going for the G2? It seems to me that the only advantage is the HD and the price of the G1 is going down to around £300.
thanks
savi

I had a chance to spend some time with a pre-production Lumix GH2 last week and managed to get some initial impressions for digiscoping: http://alpinebirds.blogspot.com/2010/09/new-panasonic-lumix-gh2-for-digiscoping.html

I was also impressed with the new Samsung NX100 system camera, which worked well with both the 30mm pancake and the 20-50mm zoom (from about 30mm).

The Sony A33 and A55 were both impressive cameras and, due to a beam-splitter and phase detect autofocus, offered incredibly quick focussing, even accurately re-adjusting focus on moving targets WHILE taking 10 frames per sec. Unfortunately, being phase detect autofocus, it was not happy being put behind a telescope.

Happy digiscoping,
Dale

Attachments

• Photokina_1.jpg
    Photokina_1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 181
  • Photokina_2.jpg
    Photokina_2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 196
Dale, thanks for the info.
I'm especially interested in expiriences with the 45mm Leica Macro lens. I was only able to try it once in a shop with my scope and G1 - handhold because it was to long for my DCB-A. The AF was hunting sometimes trough the whole focus range. What do you think about the sharpness of that lens?

Hi Nick,

I now have a sts80 hd. Tomorrow, I would expect to pick up a 25-50x eyepiece and UCA. A telescope rail would reach Hong Kong in a fortnight. May I know if I should get a protective filter installed on the scope? If yes, I would buy one when I do the pick up.

I placed an order with Opticsplanet. But after some 10 days and having manually verified my credit card, they told me that they could not ship Swarovski stuff out of US.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

jojomau

PS: I found a 45x in US but I decided to try on the zoom first.

Last edited:
Hi Neil,

Please give great allowance to an aging retiree whose native tongue is Cantonese. I apologize for my blunder of addressing you as Nick in my previous message.

jojomau

Hi Neil,

Please give great allowance to an aging retiree whose native tongue is Cantonese. I apologize for my blunder of addressing you as Nick in my previous message.

jojomau

Jojomau,
Don't worry about it.
You don't need a protective filter on the scope. The Swarovski coatings are very strong and the lens hood provides very good protection.
Good luck with your digiscoping. Maybe I'll see you out in Mai Po soon.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back