• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with picking a camera (1 Viewer)

How old is your superzoom? Has the current crop significantly improved over what you are used to?

Behind leaves and branches, you should expect to have to switch to manual focusing, and the question is how easy that is. It is extremely easy on my Pana GH2, just start turning the focus ring after having done the best you can with AF.

It's Canon Powershot SX700 HS. Using manual focus in it is not as easy as you describe it on your Panasonic :(

Another great reference is: Secrets of Digital Bird Photography: Tools and Techniques by William H. Majoros.

Much of this can be adapted to any camera, not just DSLR. Techniques like ETTL and little post-processing details can help get every ounce of quality out of even JPEGs from a small-sensor camera.

Actually, I can't stress learning to use ETTL and post-processing enough for any small-sensor camera. I've been using this technique this on my cameras before I even knew it had a name because it compensates for small cameras' tendency to blow-out highlights.

It's gotten to where I've adapted as much as I can of these techniques even to consumer pocket cameras and I find myself using basic post-processing techniques on even basic everyday photos sent to friends. It's just become part of my photography habits. |:D|

Last edited:
Take a look at the following options:

1. Panasonic FZ300 superzoom. Pros - Great Ipad app, fast 600mm f2.8 lens, decent MF once you get used to it, also good for BIF shots, very light. Cons - Small sensor, ISO800 max before serious quality issues, only 12mp. Overall a very decent camera for birding at less than US$500.

2. First Gen Olympus OM-D EM5 Used for US$300 plus new Panasonic 100-300 ii lens for US$650 for a total of US$950. Pros - MFT 16mp sensor as good as current models, Decent lens, Better IQ than Option 1 due to larger sensor, ISO to 1600 ok. Cons - Challenging for BIF shots, bulkier than superzoom.

Check my gallery for pictures since 2015 where I have Option 1 (and I still use the FZ300) and also Option 2 but with a slightly better lens (the 100-400 which is 3x the price).

If you have a bit more cash, for Option 2 consider Panasonic GX85 which has good pricing new for US$200 extra for a total of US$1,200 for camera and lens. I would easily go for this as a good starter kit.

Take a look at the following options:

1. Panasonic FZ300 superzoom. Pros - Great Ipad app, fast 600mm f2.8 lens, decent MF once you get used to it, also good for BIF shots, very light. Cons - Small sensor, ISO800 max before serious quality issues, only 12mp. Overall a very decent camera for birding at less than US$500.

2. First Gen Olympus OM-D EM5 Used for US$300 plus new Panasonic 100-300 ii lens for US$650 for a total of US$950. Pros - MFT 16mp sensor as good as current models, Decent lens, Better IQ than Option 1 due to larger sensor, ISO to 1600 ok. Cons - Challenging for BIF shots, bulkier than superzoom.

Check my gallery for pictures since 2015 where I have Option 1 (and I still use the FZ300) and also Option 2 but with a slightly better lens (the 100-400 which is 3x the price).

Alex,

I would consider casting your net wider than just Canon - you should be able to get the Apps you like for your Smartphone and iPad for most modern camera systems.

I agree with others that once you start photographing birds, it's a slippery slope, and those little geewhizzits will get you in - to the point where you will easily seriously consider all manner of better, more expensive and heavier gear! :eek!: :king: :cat:

I think it may be difficult to get a great performing system at your budget, I would suggest trying to up it a little more .... some of the less capable entry level gear can be an exercise in frustration for anything that doesn't sit cooperatively still in idealized bright light .....

One thing I will mention is that is that you will often want a longer lens than the one you have, and 600-1200mm is not out of the question! :cat:

The other thing, is that although photographic perfection can take a seeming lifetime to, well ..... 'perfect' --- that you can be up and running and taking good images quite easily - largely automated ....

As a minimum, I would suggest the 20MP Sony RX10 III bridge camera for a little more than your stated budget. Excellent quality, with a superb Zeiss lens which zooms from 24-600mm, and can even be cropped in-camera (or digitally zoomed) to 900mm and 1200mm without loss of image quality at reduced file sizes of 10MP and 5MP respectively - basically you just throwaway the background to be left with the subject bird. Great review well worth reading here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/sony/rx10-iii.htm

The only other better set up I would recommend is as has been already roughly mentioned - the 24MP Nikon D7200 + Sigma 150-600mm f6.3 Contemporary. This camera body is recently superceded so you should be able to pick a pretty good deal new. It offers superb performance and probably the best photography bang for the buck on the market. Being an APS-C sized sensor it turns the 150-600 into a 225-900mm lens. Also there is a 1.3x crop mode in-camera which means your lens becomes 300-1200 ! Very nice indeed!! https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d7200

Many Canon shooters envy the Nikons better sensor performance, and the Nikons at this level and above have some of the best 3D AF tracking in the business. This setup will be nearly double your budget, but we'll worth it - it will serve you well for many many years.

I shoot a similar rig (check my gallery to see what you could expect), and easily carry it around all day on a Black Rapid sling, and nearly always shoot handheld.

You might get an even better lens for slightly more, and a bit more weight, but faster aperture, in the Nikon 200-500 f5.6. If you wanted true Pro level performance, for double the D7200's price the new Nikon D500 is unbeatable - you get a higher frame rate, and state of the art AF, but no better IQ in practice.

Good luck!

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back