• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cool, Clear, Drinking Water....... (1 Viewer)

StevieEvans

Cool, Clear, Drinking Water......

Yes, on these long hot summer days what better than to Slake Your Thirst with a glass of the finest water which reaches you from..............., from where?

Well if you live in this part of the world, from a series of upland resevoirs , which are at many times of the year:- MERELY A BATH & TOILET FOR thousands OF SEAGULLS !!!!!

We've had E-coli, Salmonela, Listeria, CJD, Mad Crows Disease...................

What next.........?

JUST THinK of all those SEA-GULLS next time you drive past your Local Stinking Landfill Site, and Where they Go at Night to get a wash and brush up.................

Oh! and dont forget, water is a prescious resource, USE iT WiSELY...................

Naughty you, you said Seagulls, there is no such thing as a Seagull, they are Gulls. ;)

That is what I think if I see someone or think of drinking from a clear spring, is there someone having a leak further upstream!
3:)

What do fishes do in it!!!!!!!! Although my water used to be dead clear, and a beautiful taste straight out of Lamalode reservoir a mile away. Then the agencies and quangos got involved, I now drink a flouridated stinking mess. Supposedly good for my teeth, who says so my mother still has her own teeth at 84 and she only drank pure water most of her life. She was just brought up with good habits like regular cleaning of her teeth after meals.

steviewol said:
We've had E-coli, Salmonela, Listeria, CJD, Mad Crows Disease...................

Sorry you got Mad Crows Disease - hope you are over it now. Is a loathing of gulls (I can't bring myself to call them s**gulls) a lasting side-effect ?

Steve

I MUST EXPLAIN MYSELF !

I AM A Bird Lover, BUT my Loathing of the Dreaded SEA-GULL lies here.........

Having finished the Great North Run several years ago, we went for a relaxing stroll along the waters edge, only to be DEPOSiTED ON by SEAGULLS Twice!

The First was a Presicion Guided Green Guano-tastic Slime-bomb, which landed down the back of the Neck of my T-Shirt, none on the outside of the clothing! A Real 180 !
Then after dipping into the lovely cold North Sea to get clean, then i got Splattered on again almost imediately.

I AM STILL WAITING FOR THE GOOD LUCK !

From that day i vowed to wage a personal war on this arial S... Machine........

Yes, I meant Mad Clowns Disease.....3:)

steviewol said:
I MUST EXPLAIN MYSELF !

Having finished the Great North Run several years ago, we went for a relaxing stroll along the waters edge, only to be DEPOSiTED ON by SEAGULLS Twice!

The First was a Presicion Guided Green Guano-tastic Slime-bomb, which landed down the back of the Neck of my T-Shirt, none on the outside of the clothing! A Real 180 !
Then after dipping into the lovely cold North Sea to get clean, then i got Splattered on again almost imediately.

From that day i vowed to wage a personal war on this arial S... Machine........
Perhaps they were trying to tell you something

Sea-Gulls are a waste of feathers

They are little more than the scum that they eat, while squabbling on the landfill site.

I dont care what they TRiED TO TELL ME!
i buy a nice, cold round of drinks, every time the day-fishermen come in from a Slack trip..........you see, there's an Air Rifle on board & it gets more use than the Rods & Lines do ...................:flyaway:

steviewol said:

From someone who has been pooped upon more times then I care to recount, I can tell you that I am still waiting as well. Although, I guess the fact that I wake up each morning is luck enough for me. ;)

You shouldn't blame the (sea) gulls for being opportunistic and agressive thats why they're so sucessful but you can blame humans for throwing away so much food for them.Waste is only waste when its thrown away ,it could be used.

Yes gulls are noisy smelly birds but they're superb flyers.

Nappies would ruin the aerodynamics.

Serious point Stevie:

When these characters take their guns out to sea, do you think they are only shooting a few gulls?

Or are they also banging away at fulmars, shearwaters, gannets, skuas, etc?

In my view, they are criminals, and should be dealt with accordingly.

Michael

Michael,

I Agree Wholeheartedly, that is a serious point about the shooting..................(the cold drinks stuff was just a bit of bait..)

To a group of fishermen, skuas, gannets, fulmars, shearwaters ete etc would ALL be "JUST SEA-GULLS"

I have heard of some strange stuff being shot, Seals!, Red Crested Pochard(unringed)!, Great Northern Diver! all on the R.Wear, even a Peacock!!

((I do hope though, that Mr Blair, DOES NOT try to Ban Shooting.
Yes, Gun Laws NEED to be tightened))

BUT, You're going to get idiots where-ever you go in life.
i think on the whole, in this country, the Shooting/Conservation benefits far out-weigh the (Quite...) isolated, senseless Murders.

* original topic :- a POTENTIALLY SERIOUS POINT.....?
Landfill contaminated gulls, bathing in drinking water supplies..........:-C

I wish I only had to worry about gulls bathing in what is to become my drinking water! I can assure you that we get a lot worse here and in consequence our water is full of chemicals and often tastes pretty awful. I try not to think about where it has been before it came to me (although I seem to remember reading, in the dim and distant past, that London water went through five people before you got to drink it? ) Does your water go frrom the reservoir into a purification system before it comes through your taps? Or has it already been throught purification so that you get the odd gull down feather slipping into the sink???

You better hope drinking water goes through purification!!

Case in point (and nothing to do with gulls):

A small-town grocery burned to the ground yesterday (arson). It sat next to a drainage ditch when emptied into a nearby creek.

Water from putting out the fire (which was intense and needed 3 FDs to put out) flowed into the ditch and consequently the creek, filled with fire debris and RUNOFF FROM HOUSEHOLD CHEMICALS stocked in the store -- detergents, bleach, cleaners, etc., etc.

FISH KILL!! At least 1200 fish in the creek were found dead within hours, according to the DNR. Many fish did survive, but.....

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back