• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Out in the Snow (1 Viewer)

Stewart J.

My first attempt at anything like this so here goes.

Desperate to get out birdying after the awful weather of the last 5 days, rain cleared by early afternoon so set out to one of our favoured locations 20 minutes drive from home to see if any Blackcocks at their lek or Golden Plover back on territory. I think of this as a seasonal local patch, as we drove onto the minor roads southeast of Whitfield heading over the moors toward the Acton Moor area lying snow worsened (none at lower levels) minor roads passable with care. Along a single track road 3 Greyhen on a roadside dry stone wall made me stop in a hurry, as we watched another flew up from the base of the wall to join them. Watched at a range of 20 feet for a few minutes before all 4 flew off across the fell. On a little further and another Greyhen in the top of a small Hawthorn eating the new shoots. Marvelous views down to 12 -14 feet, what a beautiful bird when seen close in good light.

Further on road blocked by deep snow so retraced our route with intention of doing a big loop around main road and back in from south. No go minor roads impassable for a car. Found a vantage point and scanned about, soon picked up 2 Blackcocks high up in a couple of adjacent Birch trees feeding on buds? Always looks odd to see grouse clambering around the tops of trees like this.

A pair of Buzzards put in a display and a Kestrel was watched feeding on a dead rabbit (carrion I hope! or we have a super Kestrel)

A wonderful couple of hours after the orrible weather of late, nice to see so many Greyhens usually the other way round as hens are very difficult to find because of their cryptic plumage.

Couple of snow pics attached.

Stewart

(Would this be classed as a mini blog?)

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 160
Nice report, Stewart, with some unfamiliar (to me) birds.

Like the snow pix too... Snow never came to much down here - worst day was Weds, and by mid afternoon it was gone.

Some of the best snow I ever encountered, though, was around Kirkwhelpington... couple of feet of the stuff, even though there was none back home in (at the time) Winlaton.

great report!

nice pics too. i wonder if there is 'super' kestrels around, pushed to the impossible due to the bad weather! - yikes!

Yo LSB, the next 8 weeks would be your best time for Backgame, after that they just about disapear. If I can be of assistance in your quest e-mail me bearing in mind after next weekend I will be away for 4 weeks then home again for 2.

All the best and good birding

Stewart.

PS Like your website, nice one.

:t: :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back