• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Probe into deaths of six birds of prey in Ross-shire (1 Viewer)

I don't think I've ever seen any evidence of the police colluding with wildlife crime, not surprisingly as most (all?) Wildlife Crime Officers tend to be very interested in wildlife. The problem is that the nature of the crime - generally committed in thinly populated areas, often in areas to which the public has little or no access - means the culprits are very unlikely to be seen setting the poison. Without eyewitnesses or a tip-off it is inevitably difficult for the police to take things further. Not all estates - the spokesman nearby Brahan Estate seems particularly incensed about the death toll - and even not all gamekeepers turn a blind eye to persecution so guilt by association isn't going to get you very far. I'm sure locals may well have strong suspicions about who was responsible, but converting suspicions into a case that'd stand up in court is extremely difficult - hence calls for vicarious liability.

John,

I don't think anyone would see collusion - if it exists. I can't say it does - & as you say Wildlife Officers tend to be on our side - but the lack of prosecutions is suspicious to me.
Local people into wildlife know who is responsible - & it's difficult to imagine a known serial burglar, for instance, constantly getting away with it over years. Which is exactly what happens when it comes to gamekeepers.
I wonder how many search warrants are executed, how many arrest & interviews are carried out? Traps & poisons have to be stored, evidence has to be disposed of.
It's about time the law caught up with public opinion on this, like it did with paedophiles some time ago.
Protests should take place on August 12th on the moors while the shooters are trying to bag the Grouse.

Last edited:
So, eighteen days after the event the law finally gets to do some searches!

Nice long interval between for any evidence to 'evaporate'.

Hard to imagine that any other site-specific crime would have produced such a lightning response! Is it just me - or does anyone else not get suspicious about this?!

So, eighteen days after the event the law finally gets to do some searches!

Nice long interval between for any evidence to 'evaporate'.

Hard to imagine that any other site-specific crime would have produced such a lightning response! Is it just me - or does anyone else not get suspicious about this?!

I do ....I have my thoughts on the situation that monies will be passed around a few people to protect the perpetrators and others

Regards
Kathy
x

David Miller, environment correspondent on the BBC just tweeted that the BBC have an exclusive story about this tomorrow.

The have found a Red Kite poisoned near Borchen, near Paderborn in Germany and criminal proceedings have been started. That could mean they know who dunnit, or proceedings have started against "unkown" just to give the case a job number.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back