• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Devon : Exminster Marshes RSPB (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Birding in Devon : Exminster Marshes

OS Grid Reference : SX954873 (Click here for map)

Directions : Exit the M5 at Junction 30 and head west on the A379 towards Countess Wear and join the A3015 until you reach a roundabout with a garage on the right. Take the second exit straight ahead and continue across the River Exe to another roundabout. Stay on the far left and exit on a slip road to access the A379 heading south towards Dawlish Warren. Do not turn off into Exminster. Keep going until you reach a roundabout and turn off here down a smaller road on the first exit to the left. Go past the Swan's Nest pub and over a railway bridge. Try to get as far over the left of the road before coming to a sharp lane that doubles back on the right towards the RSPB car park. The number 85 bus from Exeter will stop at the Swan's Nest roundabout. If you continue up the lane you will come to a smaller angler's car park.

Description : Basically this reserve is a set of fields prone to flooding with a small square reservoir in the middle. The Exeter Ship Canal runs between the marsh and the River Exe and the towpath provides elevated views of the reserve including the reservoir. The fields are grazed by small numbers of cattle outside the breeding season to keep the grass short and provide breeding holes for Lapwings and such. Drainage ditches separate the fields and are full all year round. There are various ways of tackling the venue. For an easy stroll, park at the angler's car park and walk the towpath. To explore the place a lot better start from the RSPB car park and walk up the western footpath towards the Turf Inn and scan the estuary from the inn grounds over a nice pint. This path can be very muddy in winter and the inn is closed during the winter. Return along the raised canal towpath stopping to look over the marsh and the reservoir. Continue past the angler's car park to the swingbridge that crosses the canal. Turn left into the fields and join the dirt track back to the car park. Alternatively you could return to the car park along the track from the angler's car park giving good views of flooded pools and ditches. You can actually walk as far along the canal as you wish and this is often a good idea. Crossing the canal and carrying on north will take you to Devon Wildlife Trust's Old Sludge Beds. Unfortunately some sections to the north are open to shooting activity at the moment. Another good idea is to walk on south from the Turf towards Powderham along the Exe estuary.

Species : There is usually something on offer at anytime of the year. It is seasonally variable just like the other Exe based reserves nearby. A high tide visit will see more birds with the birds pushed off the muddy river onto the reserve. The reserve provides an important breeding site for Lapwings and Redshanks. Wildfowl and waders come to the fore at such times. The main players will be Wigeon, Shelduck, Teal, Shoveler, Pintail, Mallard, Golden Plover, Swans, various common Geese, Redshanks, Lapwings, both Godwits, Curlews, Water Rails and Snipe. Winter sees huge arrivals of Redwings and Fieldfares. Other passerines such as Meadow Pipits may form small flocks here. There is a good chance to hear or see a Woodlark or two. Summer sees a different picture with less wildfowl and more passerines such as Reed Buntings, Skylarks, Reed, Sedge and Cetti's Warblers, Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers. You may hear Cetti's Warblers and see Reed Buntings in winter too. There are resident and migrant raptors the former will include Buzzards, Kestrels, occasional Peregrines and a few Owls and the latter will be Marsh Harriers and Hobbies plus a few others. Migrants are plentiful here and have included various sandpipers, Garganey, Lesser Yellowlegs, a Red-backed Shrike, wagtails, winter visitors such as rare geese, swans and many more. The pool also offers good counts of gulls and may hold an exceptional gull or two. In the warmer months the reserve provides a wealth of Dragonflies and Damselflies as well as butterflies.

Advice : Presently the Glossy Ibis is frequenting the Marshes near the angler's car park. Hang around until dusk to watch the Starling roost and look for Owls. Check all the ditches and pools for unusual birds. A scope is essential for viewing the 'reservoir' as it is a fair way off from the towpath. You can combine this reserve with a visit to Bowling Green Marsh when the cheap passenger ferries are operating from Topsham to the Turf Inn during the warmer months.

Disabled Access : Sadly, I have to say most of the reserve is not wheelchair friendly but if you can walk up a few steps from the angler's car park and get back into your wheelchair with assistance then you can use the elevated tow path and that will give you good enough views of the marsh and it's flooded pools.

Other places nearby : DWT Old Sludge Beds, Dawlish Warren, Bowling Green Marsh.

County Recorder : Mike Tyler, The Acorn, Shute Road, Kilmington, Axminster, Devon, EX13 7ST. Email : [email protected]

Devon Bird Watching & Preservation Society Memberships : POB 71, Okehampton, Devon, EX20 1WF. Email : [email protected]

Last edited:
Thanks Andy - I'll file that away for the next time I'm down that neck of the woods.

See you've got a nice new avatar BTW.... I'm not surprised - it's a cracker... :clap: :clap:

Ruby

There's more to come Pete and Ruby. I will add pictures when I visit these places on sunny days. Not getting many of them at the moment!

Andrew said:
There's more to come Pete and Ruby. I will add pictures when I visit these places on sunny days. Not getting many of them at the moment!

Know what you mean Andrew - it's pretty miserable here too....

Delightful Andrew,
I thank you for the acknowledgement for the disabled too, I might get there sometime sooner or later, as it seems hubby has been working in the same place long enough now to get an extra two weeks holiday!! Hooray, I hope to enjoy more birding with him now!!

Nina,

It just saddens me that, for most of the places I am writing about, the disabled access does not look good. I am going to look at the positives and describe what disabled citizens can do rather than what they can't do. However, there is good work going on at one of the reserves at the moment.

Hope you get somewhere nice for your holiday and it includes a Blackcap or two!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back