• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID from Yucatan Peninsular (1 Viewer)

johnmoonie

I have just returned from a highly enjoyable leisure holiday staying at Riu Lupita in Playacar. I was not a birdwatching holiday but I did managed at least an hour or so most morning around the Playacar golf course which was highly rewarding with over 70 species identified. I can't believe how confiding many of the birds were. Many photos to examine and check identification but this particular one has me beaten at present. Can any of my American colleagues help.

Attachments

• Query1.jpg
    Query1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 108
Yes, some kind of tanager. 18 species found in central america. I do not have a Mexico book handy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanager#Group_1

I do have a Mexico book handy, and none of the other species I have reviewed fit this bird in terms of structure and plumage, so far as I can tell (though I will admit my Central American experience is limited). Summer Tanager appears to be a perfect fit in all respects except color.

Best,
Jim

I do have a Mexico book handy, and none of the other species I have reviewed fit this bird in terms of structure and plumage, so far as I can tell (though I will admit my Central American experience is limited). Summer Tanager appears to be a perfect fit in all respects except color.

Best,
Jim

Bill shape looks good for Summer, but yes, that colour is weird. I don't have a book either, but could it be Hepatic? Is that in range?

Peter C.

The picture was taken in the evening light, the brown appearance of the picture may well be hiding a more greenish colour. The bird to me seem pretty plain in colour overall apart from a lighter rump. I certainly did see a pair of Summer Tanagers in the near vicinity with the male in its distinctive red plumage. Also did see a female, but in a better light.

Thanks for the help.

Bill shape looks good for Summer, but yes, that colour is weird. I don't have a book either, but could it be Hepatic? Is that in range?

Peter C.

Hi Peter,

Hepatic would be out of range. It also does not show a crest, and does show something of an eye-line, among other things.

Best,
Jim

Yes, definitely a Summer Tanager- the most common NA Tanager wintering Tanager sp. in most of Mexico and Central America. As Jim indicates, structure fits just right. Funny coloration is due to lighting for sure. Hepatic shows dar cheek patch, has darker bill and doesnt have that "large headed" look of Summer.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back