• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK herps, 2013 (2 Viewers)

Nipped down to Dorset to give Steve Babbs a hand looking for Green Lizards this morning. Luckily one of the locals put me on two and one of them hung around for him.

Steve then showed me a new site (to me) so by the end of the morning we had Slow-worm and Wall, Green, Common and Sand Lizards.

John

Much appreciated John! I stayed looking for sand lizards until about 2. I failed to see anymore. Views of the earlier ones were frustrating. so sadly I've still failed to photograph this species.

wow great shots. Anyone know how the wall and green lizards are doing? are they just isolated populations or are they properly established now?

Nipped down to Dorset to give Steve Babbs a hand looking for Green Lizards this morning. Luckily one of the locals put me on two and one of them hung around for him.

Steve then showed me a new site (to me) so by the end of the morning we had Slow-worm and Wall, Green, Common and Sand Lizards.

John

It worth saying that it's quite likely that I would have not seen green lizard without John's help. I went with very vague gen; I'd advice anyone going to get 'tight' gen!

How widespread is Alpine Newt? We appear to have colonies here in Lothian which originated from laboratory animals which were released.

David

How widespread is Alpine Newt? We appear to have colonies here in Lothian which originated from laboratory animals which were released.

David
We have an old record of Alpine Newt here in Northamptonshire. Not been to have a look yet.
Brian Laney Northamptonshire county recorder for reptiles and amphibians.

Interesting thread, thanks folks.

I can add three Great Crested Newts seen in a well known site near Reading on 19th April.

Hoping to look for more species this year as I have quite a few gaps and I will let you know if I find another Black Adder John...

Plenty of Natterjacks on a military site in the south on Thursday, though can't be more precise for various reasons...

Cheers

Paul

I was jolly lucky to find a Smooth Snake this morning at a Surrey beauty spot called the Devil's Jumps. With the mixed weather it was basking in the open so I was even able to photograph it and leave without disturbing it.

John

Grass Snake at Thursley this afternoon, I'll put a pic up later.

Edit: its now later.

John

Attachments

• 2013_05_03_Grass_Snake (800x533).jpg
    2013_05_03_Grass_Snake (800x533).jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Frogs and toads from the garden last month, wall lizards from Ventnor IOW and common lizard from the Forest of Dean a couple of days ago.

Mark

Attachments

• t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 40
  • _DSC6661.JPG
    _DSC6661.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_1129.JPG
    DSC_1129.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0762.JPG
    DSC_0762.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 59
55 Common Lizards on the Thursley boardwalks this afternoon. Someone else had a coppery female Adder from the one straight out from the moat car park but I missed it.

John

Dipped green liZard at boscombe today and yesterday which meant I failed in my attempt to see eight reptiles yesterday. Sand lizards and smooth snakes at two sites near wareham. Natterjacks calling and mating near Christchurch last night.

Heard a Natterjack calling very loudly late afternoon in the sunshine yesterday amongst the pools at Formby Dunes. 100's of small tadpoles in the pools here, can't be sure but at least some of them must have been Natterjack.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back