• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Enhancement on krempfi (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Based o here:

Krempf, Armand, né le 2 février 1879, à La Tremblade (Charente-Maritime). Il effectue en 1911 une mission en Algérie pour étudier l'acclimatation du figuier-dattier en Indochine. Pendant la Première Guerre mondiale, il est affecté au laboratoire du paludisme de l'Institut Pasteur de Paris. En 1924, il crée, à Khane Hoa, l'Institut océanographique d'Indochine pour l'étude des mers et des eaux douces d'Extrême-Orient, en relations avec l'Académie des Sciences, le Museum et l'Institut océanographique de Paris. Revenu en France en 1931, il est chargé de la promotion de la Colonie au sein de L'agence économique de L'indochine.

I seached archive en ligne here
Commune : La Tremblade
Type de registre : Etat civil
Type d'acte : Naissance
Année (facultatif) : 1879

I opened the Non coté record and on p. 112 of 204 I found him as

Antoine Alfred Armand Krempf

At the end of the entry is written:

décéde à la Tremblade le quatre août mil neuf cent soixante neuf

So Antoine Alfred Armand Krempf (1879-1969) may correct. But I haven't seen his death registration.

Anyway the subspecies Picus chlorolophus krempfi (synonym of Picus chlorolophus annamensis) seems to be described in...

J. Delacour, P. Jabouille: Les Oiseaux de l'Indochine française, Vol 2, p. 201

...which I haven't checked as it seems not to be availbel in the www.

Sure and many others (especially fish) like....

Pangasius krempfi, Hemiculter krempfi, Ciliopagurus krempfi, Phyllidiopsis krempfi, Grammatobothus krempfi, Poropuntius krempfi...

Last edited:
The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Lesser Yellownape ssp. Picus chlorolophus krempfi Delacour & Jabouille, 1931 NCR [NUI Picus chlorolophus annamensis]
Dr Armand Krempf (b.1879) was a French marine biologist. He was the founding Director of the Oceanographic and Fisheries Service, Nha Trang Institute of Oceanography, Indochina (Vietnam). He wrote 'Carcass on coast of Annam, 1883' (1925) about a large, enigmatic 'armour-plated' creature reportedly washed up on the Vietnamese coast. The identity of this oddity remains a mystery..

The Key to Scientific Names Edited by James A. Jobling
Dr Armand Krempf (b. 1879) French marine biologist, founding Director of the Oceanographic and Fisheries Service, Indochina (syn. Picus chlorolophus annamensis).

Still think Antoine Alfred Armand Krempf (1879-1969).

Anyway the subspecies Picus chlorolophus krempfi (synonym of Picus chlorolophus annamensis) seems to be described in...

J. Delacour, P. Jabouille: Les Oiseaux de l'Indochine française, Vol 2, p. 201

...which I haven't checked as it seems not to be availbel in the www.
It is, now -- access to the 4 volumes: here.

The OD itself lacks a dedication. But in the Avant-propos, Vol. 1, p. ix-x, we find:
M. A. Krempf, Directeur de l’Institut Océanographique de Cauda, nous a toujours aimablement apporté son concours, notamment en nous permettant d’étudier les oiseaux des Iles Paracels.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back