• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (1 Viewer)

The photos on this thread that people are sharing are great to help get an idea of how this camera can perform in the field. I will be looking to purchase a low-price camera (<$300) to supplement my birding adventures later in the year (need to save up). I currently have a Nikon Coolpix S4000 and at moderate to full zoom the images are quite blurry. I imagine moving to this camera would enhance the image quality and making ID-ing easier. Is the sx50's competitor the Nikon L830 or something else? Also, glad to see they dipped down in price (by even $100) around black friday, I may hold out until then.

Is the sx50's competitor the Nikon L830 or something else? Also, glad to see they dipped down in price (by even $100) around black friday, I may hold out until then.

The closest rivals are perhaps Sony's or Panasonic's superzoom bridge cameras, but the Sony DSC-HX400V was criticized as slow and other models were worse, picture-quality-wise, than the SX50 at the long end. I've studied many reviews, eager to buy a camera that beats the SX50 in low light or BIF photography. But it seems none of these cameras is a worthy supplement for my favourite SX50. And the SX40 does not have the important frame assist button, I believe.

Presently (in Germany) the SX60 is offered online by 58 dealers, while almost no shop is offering the SX50 anymore. The number of shops selling the SX50 online was still around 10 before Christmas, now only 6 sell it. Next year's black friday opportunities are probably for the SX60, if there are any. Here is hoping that the SX70 will become the ultimate birding bridge camera... ;)

The closest rivals are perhaps Sony's or Panasonic's superzoom bridge cameras, but the Sony DSC-HX400V was criticized as slow and other models were worse, picture-quality-wise, than the SX50 at the long end. I've studied many reviews, eager to buy a camera that beats the SX50 in low light or BIF photography. But it seems none of these cameras is a worthy supplement for my favourite SX50. And the SX40 does not have the important frame assist button, I believe.

Presently (in Germany) the SX60 is offered online by 58 dealers, while almost no shop is offering the SX50 anymore. The number of shops selling the SX50 online was still around 10 before Christmas, now only 6 sell it. Next year's black friday opportunities are probably for the SX60, if there are any. Here is hoping that the SX70 will become the ultimate birding bridge camera... ;)

Interesting.

I have and used the SX40 for a year and a half until the SX50 came out and I somehow never realized that the frame assist was new with the SX50 but you're right. My wife uses the SX40 and I just took a look and no frame assist. When I started reading your post I was just about to suggest the SX40 for lower light but no frame assist is a serious issue.

As to the SX50, interesting that they are going scarce in your area. I quickly checked on-line resellers here and Amazon, Best Buy, B&H and others still have many in stock. And they are now bundling in 32gb SD cards and carry bags to keep the price up. $349 for the bundle is not bad. Canon USA is still selling from their website.

Thanks to this Thread (and others) I bought an SX50 and having recently returned from a trip to Sri Lanka, it performed just as I wanted.
For a birder looking for help with ID and/or record shots,this fits the bill adequately. The EVF could be better, but not having to lug a scope around made the trip much easier for me.

When I started reading your post I was just about to suggest the SX40 for lower light but no frame assist is a serious issue.

The SX40 is an interesting option, and the frame assist button should be less relevant for a 35x magnification. For example hunting Gold Crests with the burst mode of the SX50 (no TC, no digital zoom) works well without the frame assist button (which costs time). So I might try the SX40, if there is an opportunity. In November, a used SX40 sold in an auction for Euro 114 (~ GBP 90). Presently prices are back at Euro 150 or more - too much for me. I'd rather save for the next brandnew camera.

For the German shop prices, I used http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/3537203_-powershot-sx50-hs-canon.html. Of course, UK or US prices are lower. The small number of shops still offering the SX50 seems to be just the standard practice, avoid the risk to keep old models in stock. The SX50 does not receive any special treatment, although it is something special for birders... Maybe this exotic field is too small to matter, for the shops or even for Canon.

Question to more experienced birders: Does it count as a BIF, if the bird still has one toe on the ground?

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 153
Interesting.

I have and used the SX40 for a year and a half until the SX50 came out and I somehow never realized that the frame assist was new with the SX50 but you're right. My wife uses the SX40 and I just took a look and no frame assist. When I started reading your post I was just about to suggest the SX40 for lower light but no frame assist is a serious issue.

As to the SX50, interesting that they are going scarce in your area. I quickly checked on-line resellers here and Amazon, Best Buy, B&H and others still have many in stock. And they are now bundling in 32gb SD cards and carry bags to keep the price up. $349 for the bundle is not bad. Canon USA is still selling from their website.

Am I missing something or are you talking about a different "Frame Assist" which the SX40 certainly has?

Attachments

• SX40-1.jpg
    SX40-1.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 120
Am I missing something or are you talking about a different "Frame Assist" which the SX40 certainly has?

There goes my memory again. Yes I remember now. I was constantly hitting the play button below it and missing my shot. Moving it was a good choice for the Sx50.

If I recall correctly it's next to the power button on the Sx60. Bad placement.

EDIT. It's the S button that is next to power on the SX60. Still bad to put any button next to the power button if you ask me.

Last edited:

Thanks for the correction! I had merely looked at photos of the SX40 and didn't see the button where the SX50 has it: left to the barrel, easily to operate with the left hand. Good to know that the camera has the feature.

Re SX40 vsSX50 in low light; a poster on DPReview mentioned that if you back off slightly from full zoom on the SX50, the F stop moves fairly quickly from 6.5 to 5.6. Here's a link to his follow -up post with specifics; http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55091832

Interesting that it's that fast. Combining that with the teleconveter 1.5x or 2x allows getting closer while still backing off on Optical zoom. I've found that to be effective when optical alone can not get a focus because of low light.

Interesting that it's that fast. Combining that with the teleconveter 1.5x or 2x allows getting closer while still backing off on Optical zoom. I've found that to be effective when optical alone can not get a focus because of low light.
Yes, I thought it was a good tip. I have C1 set on 2x tele, so I found the spot on the zoom where it switches to 5.6 and re-saved. Now when I go to C1, the camera automatically zooms out to exactly that point, so I don't have to waste time time trying to find it while the bird gets away.

Yes, I thought it was a good tip. I have C1 set on 2x tele, so I found the spot on the zoom where it switches to 5.6 and re-saved. Now when I go to C1, the camera automatically zooms out to exactly that point, so I don't have to waste time time trying to find it while the bird gets away.

That sound handy. I might try the same thing. I wish that there was a C3.

Hee hee.....and a C4, 5 and 6....? Me too!

Right now I'm still experimenting with center weight exposure vs Spot on C1 vs C2. These days with the sun so low and so little direct sun on the bird....

I think that spot is too much and I'm better off just adjusting later with center weight but... still experimenting. C1 is my experimentation setting.

By the way, here is a recent Sharpie. It flew into my shrubs and a gazillion house sparrows immediately flew out. It stayed around a few moments in the trees later and then left for the day.

"By the way, here is a recent Sharpie. It flew into my shrubs and a gazillion house sparrows immediately flew out. It stayed around a few moments in the trees later and then left for the day."
[/QUOTE]

Nice shot. Sharpies and Coopers make the rounds of birdfeeders here, grrrr....

Nice shot. Sharpies and Coopers make the rounds of birdfeeders here, grrrr....

Thanks! Sharpie or Coopers? Exactly what was going on in my mind when I saw a gray blurr fly into the scrubs! I was standing right there when it went in. It had to be one or the other. No other hawk would do that. It took a few minutes before it came out so that could tell what it was. Just lucky it decided to rest in my tree before moving along.

It, presumably the same bird, was back again today in a different tree watching my neighbor's bird feeders. It's a dark day so the camera is pushing the limits a bit here. It's also about -10c degrees out so the bird is all nicely puffed up for warmth.

It hung around for a few minutes this time so I was able to take shots from different positions.

Attachments

• 2015 01 14 10 02 25.jpg
    2015 01 14 10 02 25.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 2015 01 14 10 04 16.jpg
    2015 01 14 10 04 16.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 2015 01 14 10 10 58.jpg
    2015 01 14 10 10 58.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 103
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back