• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how to distinguish Oriental Honey-Buzzard from Eurasian Honey-Buzzard? (1 Viewer)

try OBC website for some images and then some of the regional field guides for info on OHB.

Raptors has some useful info

there's a lot of mimicry of sympatric hawk eagles goes on and some sub sps hav large crests etc. Doesn't relate strictly to id in western pal. but interesting maybe. I found OHB to be a fascinating species when i lived in Indonesia. Their mimicry of the hawk eagles was remarkable and a big id challenge.

Tim Allwood said:
try OBC website for some images and then some of the regional field guides for info on OHB.

Raptors has some useful info

there's a lot of mimicry of sympatric hawk eagles goes on and some sub sps hav large crests etc. Doesn't relate strictly to id in western pal. but interesting maybe. I found OHB to be a fascinating species when i lived in Indonesia. Their mimicry of the hawk eagles was remarkable and a big id challenge.

Did you see that article in BB suggesting that juv Honey Buzzard has evolved its plumage to mimic Common Buzzard and in so doing to reduce its vulnerability to Goshawk predation?

It would fit the pattern of honey buzzards mimicing larger raptors bit of course it's hard to demonstrate in a given case. The paper seems to be written on the assumption that Goshawk attack H Buzz from alongside or below, which Nirofo (if he sees this thread) will tell us is not usually the case when they are taking out other raptors.

From Beaman & Madge's Handbook, Oriental vs. European:
Adults: 6 fingers (vs. 5)
Adult male: underside of tail appears dark with one broad pale band across middle (appears pale with one dark terminal bar and a narrow bar near the body), outermost dark bar on underwing excl. trailing edge visible until body (disappears under underwing covers), bars on primaries closer to fingers, no obvious white hand, no dark carpal patch (typical in European), eye dark (vs. pale)
Adult female: tail pattern more like male European; three evely spaced dark bars on underwings, with a fourth on primary tips (vs. two bars with wider gap between trailing edge and first bar, no bar on primary tips), no carpal patch.
Juveniles: difficult, appears larger and bulkier, no carpal patch, dark "gorget" if present is diagnostic.

Oriental is larger and bulkier than European, but that is hard to judge! Each time I see a male Honeybuzzard, I think: how is it possible I have trouble separating these from Buzzards... but somehow I find, even that can still be difficult... luckily, I'm not alone in this!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back